Cuetec Bowtie Shaper

michaelsu51216

Registered
Is it ok to use the cuetec bowtie to shape a new tip that hasn't been shaped? Changing my tip on a lathe and should I use a razorblade or is the tool fine?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With hard tips the deep side does a good job of getting the initial shape. The grit does eventually separate from the cup though. With med and softer tips use the sandpaper trough thing with 150 or 220 depending on how much you need to remove. After years of doing tips for myself; Tads and then WBs and now Elkmasters, I go slowly with a variety of tools; flat file, the cheap Chinese aluminum tip trough, etc... and use less pressure. Takes longer but the results are better.

Oops. missed the "lathe". I do my tips manually.

Last edited:

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it ok to use the cuetec bowtie to shape a new tip that hasn't been shaped? Changing my tip on a lathe and should I use a razorblade or is the tool fine?

You can probably use the tool to some efficacy - but I think you'll wear it out pretty quick. I've used a similar tool when I had a lathe and didn't feel confident using a razor to cut. It worked - but took forever and my dime-shaper didn't last very long.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you use the bowtie tool be sure to pay close attention around the ferrule. I personally would only use this tool by hand and not with the lathe.

You could hold a nickle in a piece of sandpaper to give it shape and use the lathe if you want to shape the tip.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well if you are using a lathe you can just use your cutting tool to get it close.

Easy if you know what you are doing.

Then finish it with rough sandpaper or you tip tool.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I've shaped a few new tips with mine.

The finer grit side seemed to become useless before I did any of those too. That's my only complaint about it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Don;t buy the CueTech Tool.

Buy Porportion Mushroom Tool, Buy 220 Sandpaper, Bujt Dime or Nicle Willard, and last buy Tip Tapper.

Combination tool doing nothing well.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not designed to shape new, unshaped tips. Good way to mess up a good tip imo.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How have I messed up the last two tips that have been on my cue?
didn't say it won't work just not designed for it. While spinning a tip on a lathe nothing beats a fresh sharp blade. I could whittle a chair leg with a good pocket-knife but there are better ways. All i was saying.