What a difference a tip change can make

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wa playing with my Zorro cue which I honestly like,
but something just didn't seem right so I asked
Larry Vigus to take a look at it

Larry explained that some ofthesenew triangle toips have inconsistencies.

He looked at mine and said lets switchit

He put a medium Mauri on it

I went home and decided to play one pocket solitaire

Break and take ball in hand nd try to run 20 balls in 5 racks

I ran 11 balls my first rack and 13 balls later in another rack

now truth be told I can not run 20 in 5 racks,the balls break bad or I miss or miss shape or just play bad,it is hard for me

but with the new tipI began to have a tough and feel that was remarkably better

So if you are unhappy with what ever cue you are playing,switch tips before you spend big money

sometimes switch to the same type of tip
,leather varies from tip to tip sometimes

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:thumbup2:

This has happened to me. I had been using WB blacks for sometime when one night my stick found itself slamming flat onto the floor. Nothing will shear a superglued tip better than that. The only replacements I had were 1 mm smaller Elkmasters. Sucked it in and put one on. The difference was night and day. Within a week I was hitting smoother; no longer having to worry about over hitting the ball or bad speed or nuthin'.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member

now truth be told I can not run 20 in 5 racks,the balls break bad or I miss or miss shape or just play bad,it is hard for me

So if you are unhappy with what ever cue you are playing,switch tips before you spend big money

yup, tips are a big thing ofcourse. I don't like laminated tips, I miscue a lot with them and rarely with a solid leather piece, but everyones different. I tend to use extreme English and adjust the speed of my stroke, as more seasoned players can use more of the cueball and move the ball with one stroke many different ways. laminated tips don't work for my style of play, which is admittedly weak, but a tiny piece of leather can make huge changes.

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I hated my becue until I tried a new tip. The stock tip made it feel dead or made my action feel muted. I tried a new tip on a whim after basically giving up on it and it was night/day the difference in play.

After that experience I started caring about the tips I chose much more. IMHO the tip is an understated factor in a cue's play.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hated my becue until I tried a new tip. The stock tip made it feel dead or made my action feel muted. I tried a new tip on a whim after basically giving up on it and it was night/day the difference in play.

After that experience I started caring about the tips I chose much more. IMHO the tip is an understated factor in a cue's play.

Always has been imo. So many people said the OB-1 played dead because of the stacked maple ferrule. When in fact it was the tip. Put a hard tip on it, and it is a much different animal.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Damn,

You are running a lot of balls.

Have you been sandbagging?

Yes, tips vary from tip to tip...even the same brand and type.

I like Ultra-skin black soft tips. So far, all of them I've tried have played good and they cost about 1/10 of what those Kamui and other fancy tips cost.

I have a couple shafts with Triangles that play pretty good, too.

I loved Le Pro tips and used them for years, but I stay away from them now. It seems I can never get a good one.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn,

You are running a lot of balls.

Have you been sandbagging?

Yes, tips vary from tip to tip...even the same brand and type.

I like Ultra-skin black soft tips. So far, all of them I've tried have played good and they cost about 1/10 of what those Kamui and other fancy tips cost.

I have a couple shafts with Triangles that play pretty good, too.

I loved Le Pro tips and used them for years, but I stay away from them now. It seems I can never get a good one.
Agree 100%. Tom's US tips are probably one of the best buys in pool. Quality product and EXCEPTIONAL service. I ordered some Fire's and got Blacks. He re-sent the Fire's and i had them in 3 days.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
you should try switching your shoes first that will help you play better.