New inventions in pool?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So after seeing the chalk-less cue thread that got me thinking. What new inventions have there been in pool? I am seeing allot of stuff that has been around for a long time. Nothing wrong with that but I am curious.

So like pool cue's have they had any advances in them? Like I know you can get different wood and such but does that really make a difference? What about ball or table tech? How long have balls been made of the same material? Is there better material out there? Same with tables what better material is out their? One of the only changes I have seen in table tech is the ability to accept dollar bills.

Just remembered there are some tech advances in triangle racks.

Thanks

Last edited:

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The biggest advancement in the last ten years, while not new anymore, are carbon fiber shafts.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Improvements in quality / playability of tips, premium chalks that are amazingly clean, back of pockets that are absolutely flush with the rails / rail cloth, LED lighting, LD shafts, racking templates are a few things that immediately come to mind.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So after seeing the chalk-less cue thread that got me thinking. What new inventions have there been in pool? I am seeing allot of stuff that has been around for a long time. Nothing wrong with that but I am curious.

So like pool cue's have they had any advances in them? Like I know you can get different wood and such but does that really make a difference? What about ball or table tech? How long have balls been made of the same material? Is there better material out there? Same with tables what better material is out their? One of the only changes I have seen in table tech is the ability to accept dollar bills.

Just remembered there are some tech advances in triangle racks.

Thanks

The biggest advancement has been, we now have qualified instructors. The game kinda forbid that formally in the past.

Take a lesson or 10.

Tables?? IMO Since the major fire @ Brunswick, and their business focus shift? Not only their tables but all tables don't play according to any of the math/systems.

I'm not a system player but I expect if I hit a ball from here to there, it should go there, and no pool table does that.

Cues?? Ya I think there's been some advances, but I think most of those the average player will have a difficult time taking advantage or them.

I'm an average player.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
There have been several "improvements" to mechanical bridge head design.

And heat activated adhesive backed embroidered patches.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There have been several "improvements" to mechanical bridge head design.

And heat activated adhesive backed embroidered patches.

Yeah yeah yeah.....

Those are all good and fine when you want to show off and impress the town folk with your bar league prowess prominently displayed on your jacket, but when you want to look like a player, you need the peel and stick stick patches to cover your case with.

Nothing makes me think twice about playing a motherfugger like a "I beat the league operator patch", or a long line of "Rackless Night" patches on the back of his case.

:duck:

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Improvements in quality / playability of tips, premium chalks that are amazingly clean, back of pockets that are absolutely flush with the rails / rail cloth, LED lighting, LD shafts, racking templates are a few things that immediately come to mind.

Got any links for the tips and chalks? I just use the regular blue master chalk. How long have flush pockets/ rail cloth been a thing? What would a bad pocket look like? Does LED lighting do anything for the pool table?

LD shafts are on thing I might use in the future when I get better and need a new pool cue.

I mentioned racking templates in my original post.

Thanks

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
IMHO Pool is like Fly Fishing for Trout, a Rod, Reel, Line, Leader, Tipped Material, and few Flies, and your catching fish if your a skilled fisherman.

Use to fish with this old retired guy, he fished with one fly pattern, in one size. He always got fish because he could read water, read fish hiding spots, and know how to fly fish.

Remember when their was like 3 brands of Pool Chalk, most people play off the wall. Great player improvised, adopted, overcame, and won because of skill not equiptment,

If a Cue was so important, all you would need is a 20K Black Boar Cue to be best player in the World. Sorry 20K Cue will not make you better player, or World Beater unless you have skill of World Beater.:wink:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO Pool is like Fly Fishing for Trout, a Rod, Reel, Line, Leader, Tipped Material, and few Flies, and your catching fish if your a skilled fisherman.

Use to fish with this old retired guy, he fished with one fly pattern, in one size. He always got fish because he could read water, read fish hiding spots, and know how to fly fish.

Remember when their was like 3 brands of Pool Chalk, most people play off the wall. Great player improvised, adopted, overcame, and won because of skill not equiptment,

If a Cue was so important, all you would need is a 20K Black Boar Cue to be best player in the World. Sorry 20K Cue will not make you better player, or World Beater unless you have skill of World Beater.:wink:

This should be a sticky at the Top of the main page.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heard that "troll zapping" apps are coming to on-line forums. Possibly the greatest pool invention in history. ;)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got any links for the tips and chalks? I just use the regular blue master chalk. How long have flush pockets/ rail cloth been a thing? What would a bad pocket look like? Does LED lighting do anything for the pool table?

LD shafts are on thing I might use in the future when I get better and need a new pool cue.

I mentioned racking templates in my original post.

Thanks
Seyberts sells all brands of tips / chalk. Diamond was the first table to flatten their pocket backs to the same height as the rail tops to make it much easier when you have to cue behind a pocket. The last few versions of Gold Crown’s finally followed suit, but very few home pool tables have bothered doing this. The benefits of improved LED lighting on the pool table surface has clear positive effects on improved play.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Let's not forget the highly fashionable gloves.
Ooh, and extensions for the end, and <gasp>, MIDDLE of your cue.
If you need more inventions for pool, have a sit down with Earl.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Hagger Cue Extensions worked, were cheap, no longer made. Too bad they have not been made again off shore, and sold on e-bay.:rolleyes:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m hoping someone comes out with a new system for aiming.

‘Shoot like a pro. You too can now hit a ball with a stick into a 5 inch hole at 6 feet’

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question as to whether good equipment makes one play better can't really be addressed by asking if everyone would play more weller with premium equipment.

A more accurate question would be would a given player play better with a premium cue, vs a lesser quality one.

Presuming all are structurally equal:
I think a pro would play better with a quality cue, vs an cheapo.

I think I play better with any of my quality cues, vs the dufferins I have.

I don't think a true beginner would play better due to cue change though.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond...not Brunswick.

The biggest advancement has been, we now have qualified instructors. The game kinda forbid that formally in the past.

Take a lesson or 10.

Tables?? IMO Since the major fire @ Brunswick, and their business focus shift? Not only their tables but all tables don't play according to any of the math/systems.

I'm not a system player but I expect if I hit a ball from here to there, it should go there, and no pool table does that.

Cues?? Ya I think there's been some advances, but I think most of those the average player will have a difficult time taking advantage or them.

I'm an average player.