Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Best Player that Quit Early on
Page 13 of 21 « First 3111213 1415 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Mark Tadd...
Old
  (#181)
PickPocket
AzB Silver Member
PickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Mark Tadd... - 05-22-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPocket9Ball View Post
Cole Dickson, Mark Tadd, Artie Bodendorfer
Still plays...

Unless there are 2!
Attached Images

"I'm a "C" Player....C you rack, C me run out! C your C-Notes in my hand...C-U Later!"

Last edited by PickPocket; 05-22-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Old
  (#182)
Seneca Steve
AzB Silver Member
Seneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2012, 12:38 PM

How about Billy Aguero

Playing cue=Omega And Lambros
Break cue=Lomax
Case=Whitten
Pappa

Old
  (#183)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca Steve View Post
How about Billy Aguero
I was thinkin' about em a couple weeks ago, he came thru Colo./Springs in the early eighties with a backer, at that time I couldn't win, BUT I played and busted his stakehorse out of $2,600 give or take, also lost my cue that day. Nice pleasant person. Didn't he have long black hair most of his playing yrs?

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#184)
PickPocket
AzB Silver Member
PickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton View Post
It's been 37 years and I have never forgotten Squirrel.

I am from Fremont, CA. In about 1970 Cole Dickson came in off the road. (He's from Fremont.) He rolled in town from Huston driving a faded green VW bug with a large dent in the front fender. Seems they hit a deer on the way.

I was just 16 at the time. I was in the Family Billiards with just a few other people. Cole had been knocking a few balls around. And now he was just sitting on a bar stool next to the table. Next to him stood a skinny guy with long brown shoulder length straight hair. I think it was this guy that owned the VW.

Anyway, nothing was going on. So Cole goes over to the table and places the cue ball on the center rail of the short rail and the eight ball across table on the center rail of the other short rail. He says, "Squirrel, go over there and shoot that shot."

Squirrel takes his cue stick that was leaning against the table and strides over to the table right in front of me. He leans down and strokes up one time then shoots cutting the 8 ball into the corner pocket like it was nothing. The only thing I ever heard of Squirrel after that is that he had won the World Nine Ball Championship a couple of years later. This must be at Jansco's.

I have been obsessed with finding out who this guy was for 37 years! But just yesterday I asked an old-timer here at Hard Times in Bellflower CA who it might have been and he told me who he thought it might have been: Keith Thompson better known as Squirrel.

So now in this thread when you said Keith Thompson and Squirrel and Houston... Well I'll be damned. I can now sleep a little easier at night.

By the way. I met a guy from Texas about 7 years ago. He's the only person I've ever met who heard of Squirrel until I just started asking around. He told me that Squirrel became a preacher. Yep.

JM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjanes1...n/photostream/

Is that the guy?

"I'm a "C" Player....C you rack, C me run out! C your C-Notes in my hand...C-U Later!"

Old
  (#185)
vincentwu817
AzB Silver Member
vincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2012, 02:36 PM

Hsia-Hui Kai, best player in Taiwan in the early 2000s.

Old
  (#186)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

05-22-2012, 03:02 PM

This thread lists many fine players that quit early, but the original post requests the name of "the best player that quit early on."

In truth, the question could hardly be simpler, as the best male and the best female American players of the last 40 years both quit early.

It's difficult to argue that in men's pool, it was Mike Sigel, who quit competing regularly at about 40.

In women's pool, it is equally clear that it's the legendary Jean Balukas, who gave up competing at about age 30.

Old
  (#187)
Seneca Steve
AzB Silver Member
Seneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Steve has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
I was thinkin' about em a couple weeks ago, he came thru Colo./Springs in the early eighties with a backer, at that time I couldn't win, BUT I played and busted his stakehorse out of $2,600 give or take, also lost my cue that day. Nice pleasant person. Didn't he have long black hair most of his playing yrs?
Yes thats him. I backed him for a while in the mid-seventies. We both had long hair in those days.

Playing cue=Omega And Lambros
Break cue=Lomax
Case=Whitten
Pappa

Old
  (#188)
backplaying
AzB Silver Member
backplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2012, 03:52 PM

Jimmy Wales was the best young player at 15 i ever saw. He was giving players like Earl Kellum the 8 and beating them. I carried him on the road at 15 and he robbed players like Harold Dollar.

Old
  (#189)
stevekur1
The "COMMISH"
stevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4700

05-22-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
Pete Margo comes to mind, I know there were a few others that went to bettin on the horses and card playing. But Margo made it big I heard in Video or DVD's, something along that line.
Jean Balukus was another, tho she has a pool room in NY that keeps her busy. There was another player out the the Quad City area, forgot his name, was a good golfer also, but a great gambler.
are you thinking of Scotty Nacovski son of Jerry Nacovski ???

Bayshore Billiards 14.1 League ~ Facebook Page ----> https://www.facebook.com/Bayshorebilliardsstraightpool

High Runs:

2019 - In Game - 127
2018 - Practice - 136
(10 years in the making to go from 119 to 136...Never give up)

2011 - Highest on Video - 50

50 ball evaluation by Blackjack David Sapolis -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiBfKo85z4g

Old
  (#190)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekur1 View Post
are you thinking of Scotty Nacovski son of Jerry Nacovski ???

I think in the later posts someone got it, George Brundt. Smooth

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#191)
RossThompsonJr
"Squirrel Jr"
RossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickPocket View Post
Ya thats my dad. Its weird seeing him that young cuz i look just like him, except better looking Ha!

Old
  (#192)
catpool9
"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
catpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2385
  Send a message via Yahoo to catpool9  
05-22-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossThompsonJr View Post
Ya thats my dad. Its weird seeing him that young cuz i look just like him, except better looking Ha!

Thanks for sharing the story about your dad, I'm sure there are many more, how old would he be now 60 or so?, he's still young enough to have some good years of pool left in him, especially 1 pocket.

David Harcrow

"Playing pool is like riding a bicycle"...Jack Hynes

"Oops, sorry I won, And for the record I'm never in a bad game!" ...Brandon Shuff

"That guy won't bet fat meats greasy or waters wet!"...Country Calvin

(Quote from the Legend himself:"Greatest Hustler that has ever lived".....Raggs

"If I could cut a 9-Ball as thin as this bacon on my plate, I would be World Champion!"...U.J.Puckett)

www.arkansaspool.com

Old
  (#193)
fathomblue
Rusty Shackleford
fathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-D View Post
> Good stories here. A player that I felt was destined for greatness at a young age didn't up and quit,he was killed by an accidental discharge that was preceeded by an argument over Chinese food. His name was Peter Keanu,but I only knew him as Tito. When I met him,he had been playing about a year,and was already about an APA 7. Two years later,he was said to be living around Tulsa,and was making a living beating the 10-ball ghost. In just 3 years,he was close to the speed of players like Hennessee,Billy Young,and Bill Bailey. He had a stroke that was just a thing of beauty,and approaching Larry Nevel-like power. Tommy D.
Is there any chance that this Tito character was in Jonesboro, Arkansas around 1993-94? Short, skinny guy with slick, black hair? Would have been in his early 20's (maybe) around that time? Everyone thought he was Hispanic, but the rumor was that Mike Sigel trained him in Hawaii. I could see him being a Hawaiian kid. I got the chance to play him for fun at Ron's Recreation in Jonesboro after watching him play for several months. I was playing the sportiest pool of my life and he beat me 6-4 in 9-ball on the big table. I couldn't help but think he was tryin to hide his speed a bit, as he really wanted some action. I told him that I wasn't a gambler and I just wanted his best game. I asked him about who trained him and he said, "Sigel in Hawaii....". But, I often wondered if he said that just because he knew the rumor.

I had heard later that Tito had moved on and was shot somewhere in the South. It didn't surprise me, simply because everyone hated him at Ron's, or so it seemed, whether it be out of jealousy or the fact that he ran his mouth a lot. Someone even made their feelings known about him on the men's bathroom wall.

I happened to run into Chuck Burns (brother of Vester Burns) and he recounted the same recollection of Tito.

Granted, I've not been around a lot, but Tito is still the best player I ever played. He was extremely quick, graceful and dragged the cueball around on a string. I've honestly still never seen anyone play like that. Ever.

And he LOVED to play the 9-ball Ghost.

Anyone else ever see the guy? Wish I had a pic.

Justin Wray

Main Player: Gary Johnson custom 4-pointer w/Ki-tech "hard" tip
Back-up Player: Gary Johnson custom Sneaky Pete w/Ki-Tech "hard" tip
Breaker: Gary Johnson custom "Snowflake" 4-pointer
Jumper: Steve Lomax custom w/silver rings
Retired: Meucci 333-5

Last edited by fathomblue; 05-22-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Old
  (#194)
PoolBum
AzB Silver Member
PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

05-22-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
This thread lists many fine players that quit early, but the original post requests the name of "the best player that quit early on."

In truth, the question could hardly be simpler, as the best male and the best female American players of the last 40 years both quit early.

It's difficult to argue that in men's pool, it was Mike Sigel, who quit competing regularly at about 40.

In women's pool, it is equally clear that it's the legendary Jean Balukas, who gave up competing at about age 30.
Correct on both accounts.

Old
  (#195)
dardusm
AzB Silver Member
dardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-22-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoldschoolpro View Post
Jimmy Wales was the best young player at 15 i ever saw. He was giving players like Earl Kellum the 8 and beating them. I carried him on the road at 15 and he robbed players like Harold Dollar.
A few years back at a Tournament in Olathe, KS was a player named Jimmy Wales on the calcutta sheet. I had hear stories about him being a super strong player from the South. I checked with the tournament director and it wasn't the same person. Saved me $$$ on bidding.

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. ~John Lennon

That's what a champion does, take their time in key situations ~ Scott Frost

Player: Holly/Ebony Custom Roach Cue
Breaker: Custom Roach Breaker
Jump: Custom Roach Jump Cue

Page 13 of 21 « First 3111213 1415 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: