Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Best Player that Quit Early on
Page 14 of 21 « First 4121314 1516 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#196)
catpool9
"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
catpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2385
  Send a message via Yahoo to catpool9  
05-22-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathomblue View Post
Is there any chance that this Tito character was in Jonesboro, Arkansas around 1993-94? Short, skinny guy with slick, black hair? Would have been in his early 20's (maybe) around that time? Everyone thought he was Hispanic, but the rumor was that Mike Sigel trained him in Hawaii. I could see him being a Hawaiian kid. I got the chance to play him for fun at Ron's Recreation in Jonesboro after watching him play for several months. I was playing the sportiest pool of my life and he beat me 6-4 in 9-ball on the big table. I couldn't help but think he was tryin to hide his speed a bit, as he really wanted some action. I told him that I wasn't a gambler and I just wanted his best game. I asked him about who trained him and he said, "Sigel in Hawaii....". But, I often wondered if he said that just because he knew the rumor.

I had heard later that Tito had moved on and was shot somewhere in the South. It didn't surprise me, simply because everyone hated him at Ron's, or so it seemed, whether it be out of jealousy or the fact that he ran his mouth a lot. Someone even made their feelings known about him on the men's bathroom wall.

I happened to run into Chuck Burns (brother of Vester Burns) and he recounted the same recollection of Tito.

Granted, I've not been around a lot, but Tito is still the best player I ever played. He was extremely quick, graceful and dragged the cueball around on a string. I've honestly still never seen anyone play like that. Ever.

And he LOVED to play the 9-ball Ghost.

Anyone else ever see the guy? Wish I had a pic.

This is a photo of Tito, he won the 9-Ball Arkansas State Championship back in 95, he's the one in the top photo, "Good Time" Charlie Owens from Monroe,LA. is the bottom photo.

I looked up the year he won it on APPA, this is the Tito that Tommy-D was talking about , his name was listed as Tito Keanu

He did play some phenomenal pool that year, he was good!

David Harcrow
Attached Images

"Playing pool is like riding a bicycle"...Jack Hynes

"Oops, sorry I won, And for the record I'm never in a bad game!" ...Brandon Shuff

"That guy won't bet fat meats greasy or waters wet!"...Country Calvin

(Quote from the Legend himself:"Greatest Hustler that has ever lived".....Raggs

"If I could cut a 9-Ball as thin as this bacon on my plate, I would be World Champion!"...U.J.Puckett)

www.arkansaspool.com

Last edited by catpool9; 05-22-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Old
  (#197)
fathomblue
Rusty Shackleford
fathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-22-2012, 09:31 PM

Holy cow, David! That's the Tito I played. I never thought I'd see a pic of him.

Does anyone know the true story of his apparent early demise? I had always assumed that he hustled the wrong guy. Maybe so. Maybe not.

Is he wearing a green kilt in that pic or what?

What speed would you say he was, David? Any comparisons? Was the Sigel bit true?

Justin Wray

Main Player: Gary Johnson custom 4-pointer w/Ki-tech "hard" tip
Back-up Player: Gary Johnson custom Sneaky Pete w/Ki-Tech "hard" tip
Breaker: Gary Johnson custom "Snowflake" 4-pointer
Jumper: Steve Lomax custom w/silver rings
Retired: Meucci 333-5

Old
  (#198)
backplaying
AzB Silver Member
backplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond reputebackplaying has a reputation beyond repute

05-22-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backplaying View Post
Jimmy Wales was the best young player at 15 i ever saw. He was giving players like Earl Kellum the 8 and beating them. I carried him on the road at 15 and he robbed players like Harold Dollar.
If anyone knows where Jimmy Wales is, I would appreciate any information on how to get in touch with him. He called my local poolroom a few years back and was out west somewhere. Thanks.

Old
  (#199)
freddy the beard
Freddy Bentivegna
freddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossThompsonJr View Post
Ya thats my dad. Its weird seeing him that young cuz i look just like him, except better looking Ha!
In 1970 at Johnston City, your daddy and I played One Pocket almost every day -- I had no chance with him playing 9 Ball. He won the All - Around against Ronnie and Wimpy playing with my Joss cue.

Beard

Bank on, brother!

100s of pgs of pool goodness on my site
www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Old
  (#200)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Ya thats my dad. Its weird seeing him that young cuz i look just like him, except better looking Ha!
I tell ya a story about your dad and those hippies from Carbondale Univ. that showed up to cheer him on. Fats was of course in the mix DUH and a bunch of hippie chicks were surrounding him and talking, one of the gals asked for his autograph, and I'll never forget, ''Fatty Became Speechless''....Fats whipped out his signature stamp....and ink pad, the gal said, "if I wanted a signature like that I would of gone to a bank". Fats needed some weight he was in a tough spot now .

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Last edited by Island Drive; 05-23-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Old
  (#201)
fathomblue
Rusty Shackleford
fathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond repute

05-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Holy cow, David! That's the Tito I played. I never thought I'd see a pic of him.

Does anyone know the true story of his apparent early demise? I had always assumed that he hustled the wrong guy. Maybe so. Maybe not.

Is he wearing a green kilt in that pic or what?

What speed would you say he was, David? Any comparisons? Was the Sigel bit true?
Something else that I just remembered about Tito......

After we played the set, I asked him if he could give me some lessons. He looked me straight in the eye and said, "I can teach you one thing that will turn your game way up....." (or something to that effect).

I said, "What is it?"

Tito reply was, "That'll cost you 50 bucks. But, I can tell you it has something to do with your back hand."

Fifty bucks was a fortune for a young guy like me in college. I declined to pay and I've always regretted it. I saw him around a bit after that and then he disappeared. I stopped going to Ron's Recreation, and within 2 more years or so, I pretty much dropped the game. Until last year. And in this past year (after a 15 year layoff), I've figured out that I was gripping the cue with my back hand way too high up on the wrap. It had gotten so bad that I couldn't even draw a ball anymore. I've since corrected it, but I've always wondered what Tito would or could have taught me.

I honestly wish I had spent more time talking to the guy.

Justin Wray

Main Player: Gary Johnson custom 4-pointer w/Ki-tech "hard" tip
Back-up Player: Gary Johnson custom Sneaky Pete w/Ki-Tech "hard" tip
Breaker: Gary Johnson custom "Snowflake" 4-pointer
Jumper: Steve Lomax custom w/silver rings
Retired: Meucci 333-5

Port Chester Mickey
Old
  (#202)
caponesinc
AzB Silver Member
caponesinc has a reputation beyond reputecaponesinc has a reputation beyond reputecaponesinc has a reputation beyond reputecaponesinc has a reputation beyond reputecaponesinc has a reputation beyond reputecaponesinc has a reputation beyond reputecaponesinc has a reputation beyond reputecaponesinc has a reputation beyond reputecaponesinc has a reputation beyond reputecaponesinc has a reputation beyond reputecaponesinc has a reputation beyond repute

Port Chester Mickey - 05-23-2012, 12:55 PM

Does anybody know Port Chester Mickey from NY?

Old
  (#203)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-23-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Tito reply was, "That'll cost you 50 bucks. But, I can tell you it has something to do with your back hand."

And in this past year (after a 15 year layoff), I've figured out that I was gripping the cue with my back hand way too high up on the wrap. It had gotten so bad that I couldn't even draw a ball anymore.

I've since corrected it, but I've always wondered what Tito would or could have taught me.

I know this will sound silly, but if he watching your game and said that he could tell you one thing that'll up your game and it has to do with your back hand...

Freddie <~~~ could guess it would be backhand english

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#204)
RossThompsonJr
"Squirrel Jr"
RossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy the beard View Post
In 1970 at Johnston City, your daddy and I played One Pocket almost every day -- I had no chance with him playing 9 Ball. He won the All - Around against Ronnie and Wimpy playing with my Joss cue.

Beard
Hey i know who your are!!!! your one of my favorite players!!! My dad told me all about you. He said you were a Monster at One pocket and that you've beaten alot of great players! Even my dad and i wanna say you beat him while in Johnson City just before the tournament. Ya my dad told me about you backing him and using your cue. I heard you have a book out and a movie script?

Old
  (#205)
RossThompsonJr
"Squirrel Jr"
RossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond reputeRossThompsonJr has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
I tell ya a story about your dad and those hippies from Carbondale Univ. that showed up to cheer him on. Fats was of course in the mix DUH and a bunch of hippie chicks were surrounding him and talking, one of the gals asked for his autograph, and I'll never forget, ''Fatty Became Speechless''....Fats whipped out his signature stamp....and ink pad, the gal said, "if I wanted a signature like that I would of gone to a bank". Fats needed some weight he was in a tough spot now .
Haha...you have to tell me more about that cause my dad has never mentioned anything to me about that and thats the kind of stuff i like to hear about! I guess he must be embarassed about his hippie days! thanks for sharing that with me! i must hear more!

Old
  (#206)
freddy the beard
Freddy Bentivegna
freddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Hey i know who your are!!!! your one of my favorite players!!! My dad told me all about you. He said you were a Monster at One pocket and that you've beaten alot of great players! Even my dad and i wanna say you beat him while in Johnson City just before the tournament. Ya my dad told me about you backing him and using your cue. I heard you have a book out and a movie script?
Tell Keith the old Beard says hello. We had fun playing each other.

Beard

Got a couple books out. Banking With the Beard, and The GosPool of bank pool. Movie script: Roxanne's Game, a fictional account of Jack and Barbara Cooney on the road. You can see the whole script on my website at this link, http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=547

Bank on, brother!

100s of pgs of pool goodness on my site
www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Last edited by freddy the beard; 05-24-2012 at 03:17 AM.

Old
  (#207)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Haha...you have to tell me more about that cause my dad has never mentioned anything to me about that and thats the kind of stuff i like to hear about! I guess he must be embarassed about his hippie days! thanks for sharing that with me! i must hear more!
Not much else, tho he seemed very quiet/reserved, I watched em play lights out in the front pit 9 footer. I also kinda remember him wearing a leather type jacket that hung long and may of had leather tassles. Wide World of Sports probably has footage of his match, somewhere as they came and shot the final matches. He kinda reminded me of a calm Cole Dixon. Your dad and I are the almost the same age and it was a special time during those Vietnam yrs and the cultural change and seeing your day playing all the old timers in their suit and sport coats and he just the opposite and time were a changing.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#208)
Jdale
AzB Silver Member
Jdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Here's a name from the past. Dalton was a terrific Asian player living in L.A. Just under Brian's speed. He became a successful actor and was killed in a robbery in New York in the late 70's. Does anyone else remember Dalton, a handsome kid.
Bob Dalton used to come in The Blue Carpet, Alameda, Ca, back in the early 70's. I think he was living in SF at that time, great player and a really nice guy.
JDale

Old
  (#209)
Jdale
AzB Silver Member
Jdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond reputeJdale has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca Steve View Post
Yes thats him. I backed him for a while in the mid-seventies. We both had long hair in those days.
I knew Biily when he hung around the Blue Carpet in Alameda in the early 70's before he when on the road. Strong player and a great guy.
JDale

Old
  (#210)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-24-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdale View Post
Bob Dalton used to come in The Blue Carpet, Alameda, Ca, back in the early 70's. I think he was living in SF at that time, great player and a really nice guy.
JDale
I bet you say that about all the guys.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Page 14 of 21 « First 4121314 1516 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: