Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Mosconi Cup announcement coming on Monday
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
08-03-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb9ball View Post
That's the big announcement?

Old
  (#17)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-03-2020, 09:32 AM

Pretty much a no brainer that the US team will consist of Bergman (already confirmed), VanBoening and Woodward, with Thorpe and Styer as likely favorites to join them. Exact same as last year‘s winning US team.

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 08-03-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Old
  (#18)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames View Post
I think it would be a welcome change
To have the event with no audience.
And you wonder why pool is dead

Comments like this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would hope no company ever would put you in charge of marketing.

Its only the most successful event by FAR every year.

Old
  (#19)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

08-03-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
That's the big announcement?
Yeah, seriously, not much here.

Nothing about the logistics. Fans or no fans? How will international travel be handled and will mandatory quarantines be in play for those entering the UK?

The article states "Matchroom Pool are still hopeful and determined the partypoker Mosconi Cup will take place this year and are in constant detailed discussions with the relevant organisations and personnel to stay up to date." That's another way of saying "let's see if there's a Mosconi Cup this year."

Also, I'm not sure why Bergman would come before Thorpe if the selections are based on 2020 play alone. The only major event of the year for the Americans in 2020 was at Derby City, where Billy had a brilliant performance, barely losing out to Orcullo for Master of the Table. Billy also had a rock solid campaign at the 2019 Mosconi, where his singles win over Jayson Shaw to open Session 4 set the table for Team USA's victory. All that said, Bergman MUST also be on any Team USA squad.

This announcement is, at best, a "so what" in my eyes.

Old
  (#20)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 10:28 AM

Not quite sure why Bergman would be confirmed as the 1st US team player before Shane or Skyler anyway?

Old
  (#21)
8cree
AzB Silver Member

8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute8cree has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 11:41 AM

Son of a... guess I was late to the dance...

... behind every good man, there's a woman rolling her eyes

Old
  (#22)
bb9ball
Registered
bb9ball has a reputation beyond reputebb9ball has a reputation beyond reputebb9ball has a reputation beyond reputebb9ball has a reputation beyond reputebb9ball has a reputation beyond reputebb9ball has a reputation beyond reputebb9ball has a reputation beyond reputebb9ball has a reputation beyond reputebb9ball has a reputation beyond reputebb9ball has a reputation beyond reputebb9ball has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Yeah, seriously, not much here.

Nothing about the logistics. Fans or no fans? How will international travel be handled and will mandatory quarantines be in play for those entering the UK?

The article states "Matchroom Pool are still hopeful and determined the partypoker Mosconi Cup will take place this year and are in constant detailed discussions with the relevant organisations and personnel to stay up to date." That's another way of saying "let's see if there's a Mosconi Cup this year."

Also, I'm not sure why Bergman would come before Thorpe if the selections are based on 2020 play alone. The only major event of the year for the Americans in 2020 was at Derby City, where Billy had a brilliant performance, barely losing out to Orcullo for Master of the Table. Billy also had a rock solid campaign at the 2019 Mosconi, where his singles win over Jayson Shaw to open Session 4 set the table for Team USA's victory. All that said, Bergman MUST also be on any Team USA squad.

This announcement is, at best, a "so what" in my eyes.

From the "wayback machine", it looks like these are the ranking events that were played for this year's rankings.

International Open Oct 28 - Nov 2, 2019
World 9-Ball Championship Dec 10-17, 2019
Diamond Las Vegas Open March 10-14
Predator World 10-Ball March 15-20

I am with you on this not being "huge" news and am also wondering how it might work. I just quoted what they posted on their Facebook page. I was curious if there was any info after watching part of the World Snooker Championship and posted here to remind myself to look for the update.

Old
  (#23)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb9ball View Post
From the "wayback machine", it looks like these are the ranking events that were played for this year's rankings.

International Open Oct 28 - Nov 2, 2019
World 9-Ball Championship Dec 10-17, 2019
Diamond Las Vegas Open March 10-14
Predator World 10-Ball March 15-20

I am with you on this not being "huge" news and am also wondering how it might work. I just quoted what they posted on their Facebook page. I was curious if there was any info after watching part of the World Snooker Championship and posted here to remind myself to look for the update.
Thanks for that. Bergman had a fine 4th place finish at the International, so if that counts as 2020, I'm on board for sure with Bergman being the first pick.

General lack of information in this Matchroom press release remains disheartening.

Last edited by sjm; 08-04-2020 at 07:03 AM.

Old
  (#24)
westcoast
AzB Silver Member
westcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 03:23 PM

Of course the event would be much better with fans, but if it can only happen without fans, then so be it. It is better than nothing in my eyes. Money will still be on the line and the players will still feel some level of pressure. This has to be planned well in advance though because the players will have to be quarantined and tested.

Old
  (#25)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers

08-03-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
Of course the event would be much better with fans, but if it can only happen without fans, then so be it. It is better than nothing in my eyes.
I not sure it is better than nothing.

What makes the Mosconi great? To me, the answer is:

A) Teams consisting of in-form players. Those selected are those that played well in the year leading up to the event, so everybody's in stroke.

B) Huge crowds. The Mosconi is the only pool event in the world where thousands watch the play live at a single table simultaneously. The event draws the most enthusiastic audience of the year, and the electricity in Alexandra Palace is hard to fathom unless you've experienced it.

C) Rowdy, raucous crowds not found in any other event that add both excitement and tension to the event. Flag waving and patriotic cheering are practically the exclusive domain of the Mosconi Cup, and it creates the best atmosphere for competition in our sport.

All the defining characteristics of the Mosconi would be thrown out the window as I see it and, honestly, I think the Mosconi with no fans would be comparable to, not better than, nothing.

Last edited by sjm; 08-03-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Old
  (#26)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
Not quite sure why Bergman would be confirmed as the 1st US team player before Shane or Skyler anyway?
They based it on who did best in the ranking events to date, and that was Bergman -- 4th in the International 9-Ball Open and 3rd in Diamond Las Vegas Open.

Old
  (#27)
westcoast
AzB Silver Member
westcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond reputewestcoast has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
I not sure it is better than nothing.

What makes the Mosconi great? To me, the answer is:

A) Teams consisting of in-form players. Those selected are those that played well in the year leading up to the event, so everybody's in stroke.

B) Huge crowds. The Mosconi is the only pool event in the world where thousands watch the play live at a single table simultaneously. The event draws the most enthusiastic audience of the year, and the electricity in Alexandra Palace is hard to fathom unless you've experienced it.

C) Rowdy, raucous crowds not found in any other event that add both excitement and tension to the event. Flag waving and patriotic cheering are practically the exclusive domain of the Mosconi Cup, and it creates the best atmosphere for competition in our sport.

All the defining characteristics of the Mosconi would be thrown out the window as I see it and, honestly, I think the Mosconi with no fans would be comparable to, not better than, nothing.
It certainly be lacking something without the fans, but I think it would still be worthwhile- these guys are very competitive and would certainly try very hard for personal pride, to come through for their teammates, and the money. Iíd still be interested in watching

Old
  (#28)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-03-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
It certainly be lacking something without the fans, but I think it would still be worthwhile- these guys are very competitive and would certainly try very hard for personal pride, to come through for their teammates, and the money. Iíd still be interested in watching
Would it be a good show for the broadcasters -- the people who pay for most of the expenses -- or would a dull show dull the brand?

Matchroom did their very best to have an audience for the Snooker World Championship (on right now) but on the evening of the first day of the tournament, the return of event restrictions ended the live audience. (I'm not a fan of the canned applause that replaced the people.)

I'm hopeful enough that I still have reservations in London, but things are not looking good for travel.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#29)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers

08-03-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I'm hopeful enough that I still have reservations in London, but things are not looking good for travel.
Good for you, Bob. I have my event tickets and a place to stay in London, but I'm not booking the flights until I'm sure this is happening. Like you, I'm not very optimistic.

Old
  (#30)
markjames
AzB Silver Member
markjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
And you wonder why pool is dead

Comments like this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would hope no company ever would put you in charge of marketing.

Its only the most successful event by FAR every year.

You might be right. Letís find out by changing the name of the cup from mosconi to a dead european cueist that hated nineball and never played the game, maybe joe davis from snooker and billiards fame or some other rail nurse expert, make jump shots a requirement, all races are to three, the shot clock is only ten seconds, and everyone in the audience must drink at least one bourbon one scotch and one beer. And if that doesnít bring life into a dead sport well i just donít know what else to do.

Donít worry, no one will ever put me in charge of marketing.

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: