Almost got in a fight during a $200 game

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not saying I was right actually curious who you guys think was right:

So I'm playing this guy for $200 ( 8 ball )
We're both C or B players but both think we're the sh*t :)
I eliminated him at the last tourney so he hated me already.

So this guy never calls his shots. I always call my shots. Also the rules of this tourney are not call pocket: you have to say if you're going clean or of another ball. Anyway a few times this dude is aiming at something I have no idea where he's going so I go ( politely ) "where're you going?". He just ignores the question. Finally he gets a bad roll, cb on rail, he's aiming into the cluster. I get uncomfortable bc this is the sort of dude who would pocket a slop and claim he meant that. ( We both still miss shots we're not pros ). I don't really see a safety there so i say a bit louder "where're you going?". He gets up and gets in my face "why the f*ck are you talking while I'm down on my shot". His friend gets in my face too and is screaming. I'm like it takes 2 seconds just call your shot it's not a big deal. Things escalate, the entire place is watching the scene now. He misses. I call my shot he's like where're you going I'm like I f*cking called it twice watch the game.. Then I ran out and eliminated him. So everybody took my side because everyone hates the guy. We're all regulars and he's good but by far the cockiest player there and acts like he's a pro.. But now that I think about it he had a point, had it been a pro match he would have been right. So who was right? This was on a barbox at a bar by the way not a league.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are just too many idiots out there for me to go into bars and play pool. If I hadn't been watching several years ago some dumba$$ would have walked out with my $600 Nova Custom Cue. This might cause me to be short on competition but I still prefer to stay away from places where idiots are known to hang out.

r/DCP

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Also the rules of this tourney are not call pocket: .

Which one is it, tourney or $200 gambling match? Or did you side bet the tourney?

You might not like this but either way, I agree with him...don't talk to me when I'm down on my shot. If I don't call it, and then slop it in via some really non-obvious shot...then it's your turn, or let's have that conversation then if it turns into one. Otherwise you're messing with my shot thinking I MIGHT do some future shady thing.

Also sounds like you should also just avoid playing this dude, you clearly don't like his attitude so why even bother playing yknow?

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which one is it, tourney or $200 gambling match? Or did you side bet the tourney?

$20 buy-in $200 first place. Double elimination. We were playing for 1st place so technically it was a $200 game. No side action. Not a race just a game. Very rarely people break and run out there, mostly center ball bangers and C players.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
We don't have a slop rule over here in England. I've always thought it a law likely to cause ill-feeling and disputes, especially at league level.

A sixty-second stop clock was recently introduced at my local game; I've witnessed two fights already! Some of these rules are dreamt up by folks who have never had to keep order in a bar on a Saturday night.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
$20 buy-in $200 first place. Double elimination. We were playing for 1st place so technically it was a $200 game. No side action. Not a race just a game. Very rarely people break and run out there, mostly center ball bangers and C players.

In that case, since it's rules you always seem to play by, even if they are a bit odd, you were within your rights questioning what he's going to do if it's not obvious, especially one game for $200. Still not the best idea when a player is down, but maybe it was necessary.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a $500 sneaky pete with a low deflection shaft and a $10 case so I don't really have to worry about that. Occasionally I have to come up to someone and go "excuse me, that's my cue". Usually they hand it back right away if they seem suspicious ( mine really looks like a house cue ) I just unscrew it and they go whoa and walk away.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Center ball C bangers? $20 buy in? Where and when is the next tournament?

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Center ball C bangers? $20 buy in? Where and when is the next tournament?

Ha. There are always 1 or 2 very strong players who show up to pick up the money. Somehow they always lose and never come back. Think about it - you lose 2 games you're out. Not 2 races. 2 games. Anything can happen. It's very easy to win the first 4, 5 games but then you're playing good players. In the finals if you make 1 or 2 mistakes it's over. 2 tourneys ago I won the lag in the finals came up dry on the break and he ran out. It rarely happens there but it happens. I still got a $100 for 2nd place though. Also center ball bangers are very strong mentally. They are always shooting hard shots but they don't miss. If they don't hook themselves they can run out and sometimes come 1st.

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Don't you just play out of your house/garage?

There are just too many idiots out there for me to go into bars and play pool. If I hadn't been watching several years ago some dumba$$ would have walked out with my $600 Nova Custom Cue. This might cause me to be short on competition but I still prefer to stay away from places where idiots are known to hang out.

r/DCP

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha. There are always 1 or 2 very strong players show up to pick up the money. Somehow they always lose and never come back. Think about it - you lose 2 games you're out. Not 2 races. 2 games. Anything can happen. It's very easy to win the first 4, 5 games but then you're playing good players. In the finals if you make 1 or 2 mistakes it's over.

Agreed. Anything can happen in a short race but it would be fun to try.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
When you're in a tight spot, do what I used to do. Cut and shoot.
Cut for the corners and shoot for home. :smile:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

We're both C or B players but both think we're the sh*t :)
I eliminated him at the last tourney so he hated me already.

So this guy never calls his shots. I always call my shots. Also the rules of this tourney are not call pocket: you have to say if you're going clean or of another ball. Anyway a few times this dude is aiming at something I have no idea where he's going so I go ( politely ) "where're you going?". He just ignores the question. Finally he gets a bad roll, cb on rail, he's aiming into the cluster. I get uncomfortable bc this is the sort of dude who would pocket a slop and claim he meant that. ( We both still miss shots we're not pros ). I don't really see a safety there so i say a bit louder "where're you going?". He gets up and gets in my face "why the f*ck are you talking while I'm down on my shot". His friend gets in my face too and is screaming. I'm like it takes 2 seconds just call your shot it's not a big deal. Things escalate, the entire place is watching the scene now. He misses. I call my shot he's like where're you going I'm like I f*cking called it twice watch the game.. Then I ran out and eliminated him. So everybody took my side because everyone hates the guy. We're all regulars and he's good but by far the cockiest player there and acts like he's a pro.. But now that I think about it he had a point, had it been a pro match he would have been right. So who was right? This was on a barbox at a bar by the way not a league.

i only read your post and no replies
if the rules are call your shot
CALL YOUR SHOT
what was the problem,,,,,:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what was the problem,,,,,:confuse d:

I have a feeling he was really upset he got a bad roll and got it out on me. Does that sort of thing happen in pro matches? I once saw online Chang jung lin pretending to shake SVB's hand after a loss. That's the ugliest thing I've seen but I'm sure there's drama on the top level as well