Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The Biggest reason Lower level players can't improve ????
Page 2 of 43 12 3412 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-30-2020, 07:51 PM

I think the biggest reason is because most lower level players either donít own a table at home or donít use it much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#17)
Deruki
Banned
Deruki has a reputation beyond reputeDeruki has a reputation beyond reputeDeruki has a reputation beyond reputeDeruki has a reputation beyond reputeDeruki has a reputation beyond reputeDeruki has a reputation beyond reputeDeruki has a reputation beyond reputeDeruki has a reputation beyond reputeDeruki has a reputation beyond reputeDeruki has a reputation beyond reputeDeruki has a reputation beyond repute

06-30-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genomachino View Post
You are so totally wrong on this. Nothing works if you can't hit the ball correctly. Whichever eye is your dominant eye, just move the stick under the other one and tell me this again. That this is way down on the list. Don't just think it but do it. You will see that you have trouble making the ball and the shape or english is just rediculous to try and control. Fundamentals are totally out of the question when the shot looks so bad.

I have taught it and lived it and have seen it thousands of times. I'm 100% correct on this. Not even debatable. It's a given.

I don't think 3's and 4's are all drunks and dopers. I know drunks and dopers that are 7's and 8's and 9's. They would play better if they stayed straight. Hard to get your fundamentals right when you can't hardly see the shot good enough to feel confident it's lined up correctly.
I took a lesson from you on the phone when you were laid up from the accident and subsequently purchased your DVD. I did not make a quantum leap in my game until I took some in person instruction and improved the fundamentals I mentioned in my other post. Of course confidence of potting improves other things but nothing gets far with poor fundamentals. I don't care if you can see a field mouse from a cliff a mile away if your stroke can't deliver the cue ball to it you're not eating.

Old
  (#18)
longhorns2
AzB Silver Member
longhorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond reputelonghorns2 has a reputation beyond repute

06-30-2020, 08:30 PM

I disagree with the entire dominant eye philosophy. I agree that there is a dominant eye, but the idea that you have to have it over the cue, or in the same place every time is wrong imo. As long as you can visualize where the object ball and cue ball are gonna go, that's all that matters. I think everyone would be better off not obsessing about dominant eyes and just getting the head in a comfortable position. From there, practice and get used to what the shots look like

It looks impossible to them.
Old
  (#19)
genomachino
AzB Silver Member
genomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

It looks impossible to them. - 07-01-2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
Iím not a qualified pool instructor, far from it, but the same applies to firearms training, in which I am highly qualified. Only about 30% of the population is cross dominant. Thereís a lot more to people who canít/donít improve, than that. Mostly revolving around desire and effort..
Hi David, If you had the experiences that I have had teaching this you would understand. They have no chance to get better because they just feel like they are pushing the cue ball in the general direction. One this is corrected they are off to the races. Now they can actually improve.

Good luck with that my friend.
Old
  (#20)
genomachino
AzB Silver Member
genomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond reputegenomachino has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with that my friend. - 07-01-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
I disagree with the entire dominant eye philosophy. I agree that there is a dominant eye, but the idea that you have to have it over the cue, or in the same place every time is wrong imo. As long as you can visualize where the object ball and cue ball are gonna go, that's all that matters. I think everyone would be better off not obsessing about dominant eyes and just getting the head in a comfortable position. From there, practice and get used to what the shots look like
You don't know what you don't know until you learn what you didn't know. This is the holy grail of seeing every shot correctly. 10 minutes with me at a table and you would agree.

Old
  (#21)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2020, 06:02 AM

A personal pet peeve of mine is when people oversell their product and try to make you believe they have "the secret" waiting for you.

There are many important reasons lower level player don't improve:

Bad stroke mechanics
Inconsistent stroke mechanics
Failure to focus during practice
Lack of motivation to practice enough
Lack of understanding of physics of the game

To name a few.

There is no "secret", no silver bullet, no magic pill, no mantra that will speed your improvement other than hard work and doing the roadwork and reps.

Lou Figueroa
sorry about that

Old
  (#22)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

07-01-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
A personal pet peeve of mine is when people oversell their product and try to make you believe they have "the secret" waiting for you.

There are many important reasons lower level player don't improve:

Bad stroke mechanics
Inconsistent stroke mechanics
Failure to focus during practice
Lack of motivation to practice enough
Lack of understanding of physics of the game

To name a few.

There is no "secret", no silver bullet, no magic pill, no mantra that will speed your improvement other than hard work and doing the roadwork and reps.

Lou Figueroa
sorry about that

Zero to be sorry about Lou, except your reply is like a shot to the heart, it kills some notion that there is some "secret" that is not secret. IMHO the secret is practice, improvising, adaption ing, and overcoming.

Pick any sport, talk to any top level player in the sport, the common denomiartor even if the person is gifted with some extra talent is work, hard work, practiced, trading, and time practicing. Theny life is the Sport, and the Sport is their life & full time job.

If there was a Magic Cue it would have to be a FILL IN THE BLANK,, and name you like. But it if you gullible, you can go buy one. IMHO any top player would still be a Top Player with House Cue with descent tip, own Chalk, and Sandpaper.

Skill is not sold in bottle, or packaged in DVD, it come with work & practice.

ďPool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Last edited by CocoboloCowboy; 07-01-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Old
  (#23)
David in FL
AzB Silver Member

David in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Hi David, If you had the experiences that I have had teaching this you would understand. They have no chance to get better because they just feel like they are pushing the cue ball in the general direction. One this is corrected they are off to the races. Now they can actually improve.
I guess I wasnít as clear as I thought. Iím not saying that cross dominance isnít an issue. I agree that it can be a challenge.

Iím saying that since it only occurs in about 30% of the population, there are a lot of other reasons that people donít improve. If not, most of the rest of us would be a lot better than we are.

Player - Chris Nitti
Breaker - Predator BK Rush
Jumper - Jacoby
Snooker - BCE Grand Master
Carrier - JB Cases - Itís George 1x2

Shooter - Sig P938 - Dan Wesson VBOB .45
Cutter - Pro-Tech Les George SBR

Old
  (#24)
Geosnooker
AzB Silver Member
Geosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2020, 07:05 AM

Isn’t there an aiming forum? Only 65,000 posts on it. All with the ‘latest’ insight.

This is ludicrous.

If somebody can’t sink a 2.25 inch ball into American pool table basketball hoop at 7 feet it is NOT solved by dominant eye solution number 1000. I can Sink a 7’ ball into a 3.5 inch snooker pocket. Shooting left or right handed and not adjusting the eye for either.

Oops...that doesn’t cost anything and feed the pockets of the hustlers...er I mean ‘instructors’.

Hint...practice and and practice. Have fun.

American Pool is full of more quackery and salesmanship than the diet industry. No wonder it’s the equivalent of mini golf to the Masters in the billiards world. Magic cues, magic chalk, magic grip, magic Stance, magic eye solution, magic breathing, Just get out there and shoot balls into the pocket.

Last edited by Geosnooker; 07-01-2020 at 07:09 AM.

Old
  (#25)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

07-01-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I guess I wasnít as clear as I thought. Iím not saying that cross dominance isnít an issue. I agree that it can be a challenge.

Iím saying that since it only occurs in about 30% of the population, there are a lot of other reasons that people donít improve. If not, most of the rest of us would be a lot better than we are.
Well you must have figured out how to Improvise, Adampt, and Over Come you way you visual thing. I am R Eye Dominant, Let Handed, I got it figured out, from doing.

ďPool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#26)
Chili Palmer
20.769%
Chili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
You are so totally wrong on this. Nothing works if you can't hit the ball correctly. Whichever eye is your dominant eye, just move the stick under the other one and tell me this again. That this is way down on the list. Don't just think it but do it. You will see that you have trouble making the ball and the shape or english is just rediculous to try and control. Fundamentals are totally out of the question when the shot looks so bad.

I have taught it and lived it and have seen it thousands of times. I'm 100% correct on this. Not even debatable. It's a given.

I don't think 3's and 4's are all drunks and dopers. I know drunks and dopers that are 7's and 8's and 9's. They would play better if they stayed straight. Hard to get your fundamentals right when you can't hardly see the shot good enough to feel confident it's lined up correctly.
I believe eye dominance plays a huge roll in lower level players but as you mention, nothing works if you can't hit the ball correctly.

IMHO, there are people with naturally good stances that can't see the ball and there are people who can see the ball but can't swing a stick straight to save their life. Not trying to argue or disagree but I do not believe there is one simple fix for everyone, there are just too many variables.

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#27)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deruki View Post
I took a lesson from you on the phone when you were laid up from the accident and subsequently purchased your DVD. I did not make a quantum leap in my game until I took some in person instruction and improved the fundamentals I mentioned in my other post. Of course confidence of potting improves other things but nothing gets far with poor fundamentals. I don't care if you can see a field mouse from a cliff a mile away if your stroke can't deliver the cue ball to it you're not eating.
I believe you are both right. Those that go to Geno are interested in improving their game. Even a slight increase in ball pocketing will also increase their confidence in proper execution. With that being said,further improvement is going to require time at the table including analysis of results. Hit a million balls or Pro instruction and hit 1000s of shots.

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Law of logical arguement-Anything is possible when you dont know what you are talking about.

Correct info..
Old
  (#28)
genomachino
AzB Silver Member

Correct info.. - 07-01-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Hi there David, I got my info on eye dominance from slugging it out on the road. It makes sense that 30% would be right eyed right handed. 30% would be left handed left eyed and the rest would be opposite eye dominant.

Here's the deal. Opposite eye dominant really have a problem. many players make it better by being so addicted to the game they play for hours and adjust to a certain level where they play pretty good be cross eye dominant.

Even the people that are right eyed, right handed and left eyed, left handed have challenges with the eyes also. it's just sometimes to a terrible degree with opposite eyed players.

Some of the best players in the world are opposite eye dominant. They have overcome this obstacle naturally from repetition.

I have worked with league players all over the country, thousands of them. Opposite eye dominant is almost like a pandemic that really holds the average player from improving ever. But once shown how to overcome this problem it gets pretty simple. That's why I do what I do. helping players enjoy the game of pool more than ever before.

It's really frustrating for me to watch a player I know is opposite eye dominant play so bad when in a few minutes I can get them started on a journey to really start learning the game.

If it just looks like your pushing the cue ball at the object ball and praying it might go in nothing will help your game. It's just such a mess right out of the gate.

Just trying to share 20 years of hardcore teaching and learning on the front lines with a few players here.

Thanks for your reply.

When you see the shots clearly and in line.
Old
  (#29)
genomachino
AzB Silver Member

When you see the shots clearly and in line. - 07-01-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
I believe you are both right. Those that go to Geno are interested in improving their game. Even a slight increase in ball pocketing will also increase their confidence in proper execution. With that being said,further improvement is going to require time at the table including analysis of results. Hit a million balls or Pro instruction and hit 1000s of shots.
The rest of the game just seems to make more sense because you can actually see what is going on. Improvement happens at an incredible pace. I've seen it over and over first hand.

Some of the players I have worked with when they were kids are on the Mosconi Cup.

Would they have gotten there without some of this knowledge? Probably eventually. But I know for a fact, this got them there a little quicker.

Old
  (#30)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

07-01-2020, 10:57 AM

Hate to disagree with a fine, well-respected, instructor like Gene here, but I believe that for every player whose primary problem is not knowing how to aim, there are 1,000 players who know exactly where to aim but don't know how to deliver the cue ball on the line of aim selected.

That's why learning good stroke fundamentals and practicing them until you drop has been and will always be the formula for success, not learning how to aim.

Just one man's opinion.

Page 2 of 43 12 3412 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: