Reload this Page WWYD -- 9 ball total trap
Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
WWYD -- 9 ball total trap
Old
  (#1)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

WWYD -- 9 ball total trap - 09-18-2020, 12:12 PM

This is a position from the 2019 Mosconi Cup. This is a safety left by Filler. With the 1 and 9 where they are, giving up ball in hand is a loss.

In the actual match, there was enough room to play the cue ball between the 3 and the 8 to hit the 1 ball, which Shane did. Suppose the cue ball is tight against the 6. What would you do?

Name:  CropperCapture[71].jpg
Views: 878
Size:  45.3 KB

The full Mosconi Cup is available on Matchroom.live. I think it's $2/month now for US viewers. This shot is from Day 3 coverage, starting at 3:03:00 or so.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#2)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-18-2020, 12:36 PM

If you cannot go between the 3 & 8 then there isnt any really good option left that i see. Maybe just miss the 3B with a ton of right english and hope for the best?

r/DCP

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom - Bloodwood & Holly
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 Apple Green

Old
  (#3)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCue'sProtege View Post
If you cannot go between the 3 & 8 then there isnt any really good option left that i see. Maybe just miss the 3B with a ton of right english and hope for the best?

r/DCP
I think that is a viable path but will probably need a little masse to curve the cue ball before the cushion to get more angle.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#4)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

09-18-2020, 12:46 PM

I'd try to move the 1 and or 9 by any means possible (taking a foul if needed). I'd fram the CB into the 6 a million miles an hour, trying to disturb the dead 1-9 combo. If no way to get the 6 to hit any of those balls, I'd try 4 rails with the CB, with the first rail being the upper right end rail as viewing the picture.

Old
  (#5)
3kushn
AzB Silver Member
3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2020, 12:48 PM

Kick, End Rail - End Rail - One Ball

Old
  (#6)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

09-18-2020, 12:48 PM

Another option, I can't tell which ball is which (colorblind) is to use the bridge and kick into the endrail, then the long rail, then hit the 1 and carom into the 9 for the win. IDK if that works. It looks like you'd have to bend the CB with draw and/or spin to get it to that path. But if its remotely possible, your'e giving yourself a chance to win on this shot.

Old
  (#7)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2020, 01:01 PM

Looks like you could 2-rail (or even 3-rail) it out of the bottom right corner and get the hit. No telling exactly where things are left...

pj
chgo

Old
  (#8)
The_JV
Local_Pro
The_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Another option, I can't tell which ball is which (colorblind) is to use the bridge and kick into the endrail, then the long rail, then hit the 1 and carom into the 9 for the win. IDK if that works. It looks like you'd have to bend the CB with draw and/or spin to get it to that path. But if its remotely possible, your'e giving yourself a chance to win on this shot.
That's what I would do... That said, I'm one of those weird former snooker players that rather use a bridge then put an extension on my cue.

No CB action needed. Just a solid punch with the correct angle.

The exhibition shot is three rails, short / long / long. Goal is to hit the second long below the side pocket. CB will open up on the third rail and might head down toward the 1/9.

A simple game, played by difficult people...

Last edited by The_JV; 09-18-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Old
  (#9)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2020, 01:03 PM

3 rail kick into the short rail between the 2nd and 1st diamond (toward the general direction of the chalk) then into the long rail then into lower opposite long rail above the 2b going toward the 1 - 9.

maybe even for the win

EDIT: Went down to the laboratory to give this a try and with a firm stroke shot and reverse spin I made the hit a few times but even better was when it went longer (majority) it also hit the bottom short rail and came under the 1b. Once it made a bad hit 9b and a couple no hits mixed in. I actually like the longer release 4 railer coming under the 1. This is not a very difficult hit if your comfortable getting just below the side pocket on the opposite long rail with reverse.

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Last edited by Kickin' Chicken; 09-18-2020 at 03:01 PM.

Old
  (#10)
3kushn
AzB Silver Member
3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
3 rail kick into the short rail between the 2nd and 1st diamond (toward the general direction of the chalk) then into the long rail then into lower opposite long rail above the 2b going toward the 1 - 9.

maybe even for the win
Don't play much pool but looks like the side pocket is dangerously close. IMO +2 from the CB position is about 90% feel and guess work.

Old
  (#11)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

09-18-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_JV View Post
That's what I would do... That said, I'm one of those weird former snooker players that rather use a bridge then put an extension on my cue.

No CB action needed. Just a solid punch with the correct angle.

The exhibition shot is three rails, short / long / long. Goal is to hit the second long below the side pocket. CB will open up on the third rail and might head down toward the 1/9.
I like the exhibition shot, if only because it looks cool.
Probably a good way to sell out but I know I could get this
one close.

Old
  (#12)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
09-18-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
as a right hander... That is what I would do too. I would hit extremely hard two rails out of that corner and make sure to not go long.

I plan on giving up ball in hand here and I'm moving the one or 9 or both out of there.

Not a strong position to inherit.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#13)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

09-18-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
... I can't tell which ball is which (colorblind) ...
Starting from the right end of the table, the balls are in order reading right to left:
cue, 6, 3, 8
4, 7
2 (by it's lonesome on the bottom rail)
5, 1, yellow jacket 9 almost in the pocket

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#14)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
09-18-2020, 01:33 PM

Now that I look at it closer, I am quite sure I could catch the edge of the five and then the cue ball goes to the end rail and then between the one and 9, then back up table... Not making a good hit, or touching the 1 or 9.

Pretty sure I've done that before. Lots.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#15)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

09-18-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
... Not a strong position to inherit.
Filler played a very nice masse safety to leave the cue ball nearly frozen to the 6 ball. Not sure if he intentionally set up the 1-9 combo. Of course the problem with setting up a combo with the hidden ball is that your opponent might hit it.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: