Any word from Dennis Searing....

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis Searing has been awesome to deal with for me, his cues are top notch, so are his tips. He sent me a friend request on faceflop a few years back, someone said crap about him and I backed Dennis with facts, he liked it and sent me a request/

For anyone comparing a ____ ___ to a Searing, you just lost all creds in here and it's dragging AZBilliards down.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis Searing has been awesome to deal with for me, his cues are top notch, so are his tips. He sent me a friend request on faceflop a few years back, someone said crap about him and I backed Dennis with facts, he liked it and sent me a request/

For anyone comparing a ____ ___ to a Searing, you just lost all creds in here and it's dragging AZBilliards down.

to people in his inner circle which apparently you are
he is wonderfull
i know this from a few people i know who are in that circle
but listen to most of the experiences in the overwhelming percentage of replies in this thread
no one can say anything bad about his cues because they are among the best
but it seems alot of people are saying his communication and delivery on time is not among the best
his tips are a different story
i have not had a problem in ordering and receiving them

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Time Management

The hardest thing for a small or one man shop to deal with is time management. That thirty minutes on the phone to a handful of customers a day is several man hours of lost production. Likewise that time on the Net or dealing with e-mails.

Every customer feels like they should be able to call and talk twenty or thirty minutes every time they take a notion. If they are local they think dropping by is fine, maybe visit an hour. All lost time. These same people would crap if you billed them for phone time like a lawyer does. Add up the time lost to idle chatter on the phone, updates when the build is on schedule, daydreamers that will never have a cue made, lonely people in the mood to chat, and it may equal a day or more a week!

I was running several businesses. I was making good money but the one thing I wasn't getting was much time with my children. Since I was making nice money for the eighties I was also donating generously to charities. The more I gave the more charities put me on their lists, it was as bad as feeding stray cats! I had somebody behind my front desk that could write checks so I could tell them how much to give without interrupting my work. However, every charity that called insisted I come to the phone. If they came to my main business they insisted they had to talk to me.

I logged time with charities for a few weeks. I was giving about a thousand a month away, more importantly I was losing ten hours a week dealing with charities. For several months I begged them not to interfere with my work, they got the same thing when I delegated dealing with them. None, not a single one, of the charities listened. So I cut off all but two that were special to me! They whined mightily. I pointed out it was their own doing and told them not to call or come by anymore.

When you deal with a cue builder that seems short on the phone, answers any questions and gets off the phone, be glad. This is a person that understands time management and will probably be very close to anticipated build times. The good ol' boy that will talk to you for an hour is talking to other people just as long and nothing is happening in his shop while he does. A cue builder should communicate. However, if you are tying him up thirty minutes or an hour every time you call and he quits taking your calls it is probably because he can't afford the time lost! $50 an hour would be a conservative billing for lost shop time.

I think cue builders putting people on the clock after the first five minutes would be a good idea. If people are talking about ordering a cue the consulting time payment could be applied to the price of the cue if the builder wanted to. I have had people call me or come by my shop for years to talk about projects they were never going to do. Just mental masturbation on their part and more than a few hours lost work time for me.

If somebody has a waiting list they should tell you when the build starts or contact you when it is supposed to. If they don't contacting them with a brief call is fine. A quick update on the build every few months is fine too. As long as things are on schedule, don't get carried away with the phone. If you do, you are part of the problem with late deliveries.

In the past I have let all calls go to voice mail and only spent a maximum of thirty minutes before lunch and an hour before quitting time dealing with calls. That was one of the smartest things I ever did.

Hu

Reactions: LC3

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Who needs a Searing, when you can get a Jackpot?

Who need a 100 point concourse 1962 Corvette, the person who wants, and cand afford one.

I was say the other night at our Cigar Club a Lighter, or Maches is just a heat source for lighting a Cigar. Most Cigar shop have box matches for free, some people have lighter work a Grand Plus, because they can afffored em.

Tiller had a collection of Cjue that were world class, it was his hobby getting new valuable Cues, not sure if he was a world class player, or just world class collector.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly dont think Dennis is building any cues at all mostly repair work. Been on his list for 10 years. For the life of me never herd of maker taking down names and not building list names a cue. Thats history folks.:D

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly dont think Dennis is building any cues at all mostly repair work. Been on his list for 10 years. For the life of me never herd of maker taking down names and not building list names a cue. Thats history folks.:D

Paging Krown Custom Cues.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The hardest thing for a small or one man shop to deal with is time management. That thirty minutes on the phone to a handful of customers a day is several man hours of lost production. Likewise that time on the Net or dealing with e-mails.

Every customer feels like they should be able to call and talk twenty or thirty minutes every time they take a notion. If they are local they think dropping by is fine, maybe visit an hour. All lost time. These same people would crap if you billed them for phone time like a lawyer does. Add up the time lost to idle chatter on the phone, updates when the build is on schedule, daydreamers that will never have a cue made, lonely people in the mood to chat, and it may equal a day or more a week!

I was running several businesses. I was making good money but the one thing I wasn't getting was much time with my children. Since I was making nice money for the eighties I was also donating generously to charities. The more I gave the more charities put me on their lists, it was as bad as feeding stray cats! I had somebody behind my front desk that could write checks so I could tell them how much to give without interrupting my work. However, every charity that called insisted I come to the phone. If they came to my main business they insisted they had to talk to me.

I logged time with charities for a few weeks. I was giving about a thousand a month away, more importantly I was losing ten hours a week dealing with charities. For several months I begged them not to interfere with my work, they got the same thing when I delegated dealing with them. None, not a single one, of the charities listened. So I cut off all but two that were special to me! They whined mightily. I pointed out it was their own doing and told them not to call or come by anymore.

When you deal with a cue builder that seems short on the phone, answers any questions and gets off the phone, be glad. This is a person that understands time management and will probably be very close to anticipated build times. The good ol' boy that will talk to you for an hour is talking to other people just as long and nothing is happening in his shop while he does. A cue builder should communicate. However, if you are tying him up thirty minutes or an hour every time you call and he quits taking your calls it is probably because he can't afford the time lost! $50 an hour would be a conservative billing for lost shop time.

I think cue builders putting people on the clock after the first five minutes would be a good idea. If people are talking about ordering a cue the consulting time payment could be applied to the price of the cue if the builder wanted to. I have had people call me or come by my shop for years to talk about projects they were never going to do. Just mental masturbation on their part and more than a few hours lost work time for me.

If somebody has a waiting list they should tell you when the build starts or contact you when it is supposed to. If they don't contacting them with a brief call is fine. A quick update on the build every few months is fine too. As long as things are on schedule, don't get carried away with the phone. If you do, you are part of the problem with late deliveries.

In the past I have let all calls go to voice mail and only spent a maximum of thirty minutes before lunch and an hour before quitting time dealing with calls. That was one of the smartest things I ever did.

Hu

Tap...Tap....Tap...

I have the same problem, people always think I am ignoring them because I let all of my calls go to voicemail then I return them when it is convenient for me. I have people stop by the shop and hang out for hours then they ask "when will you be starting my project, your getting late". They just do not have a clue that when they want to come hang out and see what you are working they are taking time away that could be spent being productive.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a guy that was in his "inner circle" Then he got screwed so bad, if he wouldn't go to jail, he'd definitely punch him.

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well apparently his whole day is locked up by people calling him wanting to talk about these stupid ass tips.... everyone in the US being obsessed with all this goofy branding of tips. China must love us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a funny thread.

I remember 10 years ago about people praising him and talking about how great he is and fast forward to 2020 and people haven't heard a peep from him or received any cue.

Also...for those insulting our intelligence or knowledge of cues....how can you sit there and say we don't know anything about cues if we say _____ cue is better than a Searing. A majority of us have never seen one and there are very few out there. It's like saying the unicorn is the greatest animal alive and you can't compare a horse to it. Get my drift? I'm sure the guy makes a nice cue but I can finally have the last laugh because people are here complaining about something that were promised to them 15+ years ago.

I bet he has 10 or 15 cues he built in his lifetime that never gets seen and he probably quit years ago but people still waiting. lol

I was a young man in my early 20's when I heard about Searing....now I'm almost reaching my 40's. Crazy how time flies and no Searing cues to be seen by my fellow AZers.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Dennis makes the best playing pool cues on the planet.... Barr none..... Unfortunately I feel he has stolen my property and is making no effort to rectify the situation. I’ve known Dennis a long time, I’ve been to his shop a couple times. I’ve played rounds of golf with the man. No matter what “issues” he has , it is no reason not to keep some type of communication up on a ridiculously long repair problem.... I mean we are pushing 12 fuc*%#* years here. He may be hoping for my death??? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in 12 yrs you couldnt make a trip to ask him in person?

ok i seen your reply to this question

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
What a funny thread.

I remember 10 years ago about people praising him and talking about how great he is and fast forward to 2020 and people haven't heard a peep from him or received any cue.

Also...for those insulting our intelligence or knowledge of cues....how can you sit there and say we don't know anything about cues if we say _____ cue is better than a Searing. A majority of us have never seen one and there are very few out there. It's like saying the unicorn is the greatest animal alive and you can't compare a horse to it. Get my drift? I'm sure the guy makes a nice cue but I can finally have the last laugh because people are here complaining about something that were promised to them 15+ years ago.

I bet he has 10 or 15 cues he built in his lifetime that never gets seen and he probably quit years ago but people still waiting. lol

I was a young man in my early 20's when I heard about Searing....now I'm almost reaching my 40's. Crazy how time flies and no Searing cues to be seen by my fellow AZers.

I owned 13 at one point....if only I had known I owned them all:rolleyes:

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would give up any hopes of receiving a cue if you guys are in a rush. The productivity isn't going to increase as these builders get older. As a matter of fact it slows down. If you guys want a cue I would suggest hiring -or- look for young and hungry up and coming cue builders.

-or-

Buy used.