The Hal Houle Post

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a quote from Butch Harmon to Lee Trevino regarding Tiger. He couldn't teach him anything more.

Lee Trevino speaking:
"Tiger outsmarted himself. He didn’t realize that if he just maintained, he would still be winning everything. Instead, he wanted to do something else. He got bored. He wasn’t satisfied winning by 15. He wasn’t satisfied by winning 30 percent of his tournaments. It was too easy for him. He was actually too good, and it got in his way.

Here’s what Butch Harmon told me. I said, “Tiger?” He said, “Lee, I can’t teach him anymore. He knows more than I do about the swing. You can’t believe what he knows about this thing.”

I also think pounding the weights so hard and heavy had a lot to do with his messed up back and all the surgeries over the years. Very thick contracted muscles are a detriment when speed, flexibility, and suppleness is the most important. They work against each other.

Thanks! Hadn't read that before. Jives with everything I had been thinking for years. Not content with winning everything he decided he wouldn't be the best until he could outdrive everyone and there went his game. The bulk ruined his flow. His best tournament in my opinion was winning the British Open without ever using a wood.

I read a Lee Trevino story one time that broke me up. There was a terrible thunderstorm while he was playing and all of the other golfers ran for cover except for Trevino who stayed on the course. The other players hollered at him to get off the course because he would get killed by lightning. He smiled and shook his head and said" Not even God can hit a one iron."

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
If only there was some way that a CTE thread could only be participated in by proponents of CTE trying to help one another and an Anti-CTE thread for those proposing their reasoning and arguing with each other about why they disagree with CTE and agree with ---whatever---and only the Anti-CTE could participate.

Seems like a fantastic idea to me. It would require two separate forums, not the current generic AIMING FORUM which covers all aiming methods.

CTE USERS ONLY

NON CTE USERS ONLY

I guarantee none of us as CTE users would even enter the NON section regardless of what was being discussed. Not even to lurk out of curiosity. Who cares?!!

But I would never guarantee the opposite to be true for the NON CTEers coming into the CTE ONLY forum.

So would it work? Only with strict moderation to disallow going out of bounds in restricted territory.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I totally agree with the Butch Harmon part. That and bulking up along with the episodes outside of golf events led to his downhill spiral. Even today I would love to see him try to take 10-15 yards off of his driving.

Why does this particular topic upset you so much? You are not a user of CTE so why does it bother you that others are? They are not going to change you and you are not going to change them You all have your opinions and they are based on your experiences which is reasonable--for all involved.

It doesn't upset me in the slightest. To each their own. I am not trying to change anyone's mind. I want to see more people playing pool, great pool, and I don't care what tools they use to get it done. People can decide on their own whether or not they are wasting time on one method or product or whatever.

What I do care about is false assumptions and misleading statements, regardless of the product or service or idea being propped up. Like when a pro pool player promotes an aiming gadget, insinuating that "you too can become a pro like me if you order this product".
When in reality that pro player never used the product. It would be entirely different though if the pro player had used the product and could attest to it being a major contributor to helping them become a pro level player.

If you design something, create something, and average people are able to become successful or professional by using what you've created, then by all means that is a great testament/proof of the value of your product or service. These average people who became extraordinary after working with your product are the ones that will convince others that your product is 100% legit. But to use already-established professionals to promote your product, as great as it might be for you, doesn't mean much to the average person that just wants to get better. That's all I was getting at. It applies to so many things, not just pool related.

That's the nature of advertising I suppose. Most people assume celebrities and professional athletes have superior knowledge for some reason, and so we rush out to buy whatever items they endorse. The truth is, outside of their own skillsets (singer, actor, musician, athlete, etc...) they are no more knowledgeable than any of us.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I was only a middle of the pack US Amateur finisher before CTE. Now i've finished ninth twice.

That's a great testament to the value of the system. That is what would make it legit to the average player, not spouting off about already established pros that are either using it now in some form or another. I would also say that many hours of practice, repeating the same routine/psr, helped you get those top 10 finishes.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a great testament to the value of the system. That is what would make it legit to the average player, not spouting off about already established pros that are either using it now in some form or another. I would also say that many hours of practice, repeating the same routine/psr, helped you get those top 10 finishes.

Many hours of practice with CTE, yes. Wasn't getting there with many hours of practice doing it my old way.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Many hours of practice with CTE, yes. Wasn't getting there with many hours of practice doing it my old way.

I understand, especially if your old way involved a lot of guesstimation.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Seems like a fantastic idea to me. It would require two separate forums, not the current generic AIMING FORUM which covers all aiming methods.

CTE USERS ONLY

NON CTE USERS ONLY

I guarantee none of us as CTE users would even enter the NON section regardless of what was being discussed. Not even to lurk out of curiosity. Who cares?!!

But I would never guarantee the opposite to be true for the NON CTEers coming into the CTE ONLY forum.

So would it work? Only with strict moderation to disallow going out of bounds in restricted territory.

Just when I thought you couldn't amaze me anymore, you go and do it again. Does it never end?

Got a ideal for you, instead of having a cte forum only , how about you just go and jion a little kids forum.

Problem solved....take angry prostate with you. Lol

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Just when I thought you couldn't amaze me anymore, you go and do it again. Does it never end?

Got a ideal for you, instead of having a cte forum only , how about you just go and jion a little kids forum.

Problem solved....take angry prostate with you. Lol

None of it would do any good and it doesn't matter where we went. You and the rest of the gang would be dragging yourselves in because you can't live without us.

All of you seem to be members of the lonely hearts stalkers club.

NEXT....

Last edited:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
None of it would do any good and it doesn't matter where we went. You and the rest of the gang would be dragging yourselves in because you can't live without us.

All of you seem to be members of the lonely hearts stalkers club.

NEXT....

You might be right about a few on here, not my thing brother.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
You might be right about a few on here, not my thing brother.

Same here. I enjoy talking about aiming in an open format where you can give an opinion or an example and not be labeled a hater or a basher. If CTE had it's own website/forum, I would have no reason or desire to visit it. I joined AZ and came into the aiming forum to introduce my book. I didn't realize how polluted or dominated this forum was then. Many people here treat aiming pool balls too seriously, like politics or religion.
If somebody disagrees with how you aim, who cares. Move on. If somebody says it doesn't work, or it's not mathematically possible, or it's a "slop" system, or whatever, that's their opinion. Everybody has opinions. Disagreeing with techniques for aiming pool balls shouldn't cause all that much anger and frustration. Life is full of enough bs already.

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This endless kerfuffle could go away if Connie would just go ahead and release the 15 to 18 Truth Videos. There are videos, aren't there?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This endless kerfuffle could go away if Connie would just go ahead and release the 15 to 18 Truth Videos. There are videos, aren't there?

Hey Richard "newbie" Boxcar. The kerfuffle,as you call it, will never go away. There are anti CTE police on here to make sure of that.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Please describe the steps of CTE you're now using and how you understand it and we'll tell you if you're on the right path or not and what to look for in the videos to bring you on track.

OB is 12" from the side pocket in the middle of the table. CB is 9" away from the first diamond on the side rail closest to the corner pocket on the same side of the table. You want to cut it into the corner pocket on the same side of the table where the CB is which is a cut to the right.

What do you look for and what do you do to make the shot? IOW, what are the visuals and steps you go through? They really are pretty simple and fast.

Hopefully you have some basic understanding for usage which would justify your excitement for the release of the videos to make it your aiming system.

Or then again maybe it's what we think and know it is...another attempt at trolling and stalking.

You're on stage...take it away Your choice: You can do it with a manual pivot or Pro1. I'm sure you know the differences between the two.

Btw, you do know there are already over 100 videos on youtube and have been for years...DON'T YOU?

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
who's willing to bet there will not be 18 videos released in the beginning.

WHOA! Who's willing to bet?! This sounds like a man with inside information who has a lock. Probably has done some insider trading with stocks in the past also.

Actually, Stan said there would be 15-18 videos initially released with the book.

However, even though I might lose with your inside information, I'll take the bet with 15-18 like he stated.

$100 minimum up to $20,000. So what would you like...the $100 or you pick an amount higher?

Don't wimp out now just to make yourself look like a trash talking loser.

Last edited: