Stolen league money

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So the week before payouts, the league is informed that the >$19,000 was burglarized from the league managers house. An apology was issued, and we were told that it would be “made right”. Initial thoughts?

Based on what I know about the league manager, I don’t suspect him of stealing it. Seems like a great guy. I’m very torn on what to make of this.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
To "make it right" would be very difficult unless the money was found and returned or possibly covered under Home owners insurance.
I have heard of this situation happening before, good luck and I hope it works out.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd wonder if there is an applicable insurance policy, held either by the operator, owner or sanctioning body.

Shit... I'd even want to know if it was reported to the police or the top sanctioning body. Those two actions would give credibility to the allegation a crime took place.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd wonder if there is an applicable insurance policy, held either by the operator, owner or sanctioning body.

Shit... I'd even want to know if it was reported to the police or the top sanctioning body. Those two actions would give credibility to the allegation a crime took place.

Apparently there is a police report and he has contacted the room owner and Mark Griffin.

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just curious...where did it happen? LO in OKC made off with over 7000 last year and left the state...

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never had the time to play league so I'm not that familiar with how it all works, but why wasn't that money in the bank? If he's holding almost 20 grand the whole season I would think they'd want to make a few bucks interest off that much money. Seems pretty stupid all the way around. Hope it works out and everyone can make it to Vegas.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've never had the time to play league so I'm not that familiar with how it all works, but why wasn't that money in the bank? If he's holding almost 20 grand the whole season I would think they'd want to make a few bucks interest off that much money. Seems pretty stupid all the way around. Hope it works out and everyone can make it to Vegas.

The league took in $800/week after dues were taken out. After 24 weeks it added up. I agree it should have been in a bank.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the week before payouts, the league is informed that the >$19,000 was burglarized from the league managers house. An apology was issued, and we were told that it would be “made right”. Initial thoughts?

Based on what I know about the league manager, I don’t suspect him of stealing it. Seems like a great guy. I’m very torn on what to make of this.

Without knowing any details, having 19k sitting at someone's house is a bit suspect. The league could not have an account opened for the money? Seems a bit too much to just keep in cash sitting there. Heck, we had like $200 in a break and run pot and someone that worked at the pool hall stole that, 1/100th the amount.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Since it was so close to payout time, there is a good chance that the LO had withdrawn the money from the bank to issue payouts. I know that I have to give my bank at least a week's notice to withdraw a large chunk of money with a certain denomination breakdown. If this is not the case, and over the course of the season the LO held the money at his home instead of the bank, then that is a serious problem that must be addressed.

Question, does the league have a treasurer or does the LO take care of that responsibility?

If the LO does not own a home then there will be no recourse from insurance. No renters insurance policy will cover that great of a loss of money.

Sounds to me like you are just going to have to wait and see if it is made right. But the league should batten down the accountability hatches. Give the LO the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time you must demand that the LO's handling of the money going forward is transparent and responsible. Demand to see the police report. (HINT: if there is no police report, then you immediately know who stole the money) And you should also demand that the LO clearly define his plan (including timeline) that will make things right. If the LO makes things right, then all can be forgiven. If not, then you should contact the authorities.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The league operator is responsible for the money. He has to pay it back.

I played in a local 14.1 league about 1980. Near the end of the season, the owner of the pool hall who ran the league said someone broke into his safe and stole the league prize prize fund so there would be no prizes. No, he didn't file a police report -- too much bother.

Has your LO filed a police report?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Without knowing any details, having 19k sitting at someone's house is a bit suspect. The league could not have an account opened for the money? Seems a bit too much to just keep in cash sitting there. Heck, we had like $200 in a break and run pot and someone that worked at the pool hall stole that, 1/100th the amount.

Very odd situation all around. I guess this happened on the 4th of July, but he wanted to wait until he spoke with people above him before filling in everyone else. He even played in the end of season tournament this past weekend knowing we were all getting stuffed.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The league operator is responsible for the money. He has to pay it back.

I played in a local 14.1 league about 1980. Near the end of the season, the owner of the pool hall who ran the league said someone broke into his safe and stole the league prize prize fund so there would be no prizes. No, he didn't file a police report -- too much bother.

Has your LO filed a police report?

He claims he did. Said he’ll post it on the Facebook page later.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, and, I know it's late to say this, but the league needs a BANK ACCOUNT, don't keep the money in someone's home. This is just asking for trouble. Not saying it can't happen that the money disappears but at least one person is less likely to be thought badly of. I feel for you, had this happen in a small work bowling league years and years ago. Guy took off with the money, we all showed up for a banquet and it hit the fan!