The joke that keeps me inspired to play great pool

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just got back from the Derby and had some very mixed feelings on the way home. I considered my results, but then had to look at my play.

My results were very satisfying. This was my best Derby. I finished tied for 25th in the 1P and tied for 20th in the 9 ball. I had beaten several higher ranked players including Eberle, Pinager, Morra, and Danny Smith. Against the players similar to my speed I won two and lost one (Jesus Atencia is ranked lower than me but I'm not sure how long that will last so I don't feel too bad). And I only dropped one set to a player that was a bit under my speed.

But while my results on paper looked good, my play was disappointing. Many of my sets came down to the wire. I had several one pocket matches go 3-2 and several 9 ball matches were 6-6 or 7-7 and I barely closed them out. One match I fell behind 5-1 and only my opponent's mistakes allowed me to come back and win. I struggled with nerves a lot more than normal. And my game basically broke down. My stroke felt wobbly and weak and it felt like I was fighting myself to deliver the cue ball where I was looking. My confidence fell through the floor. Routine run outs started looking tough because I didn't know what I could count on myself to do anymore.

I got to spend a lot of time watching the premier strikers in the game. Shaw, Filler, SVB of course. But another player that really dazzled me was Omar Al Shaheen who eliminated me from the 9 ball. Watching him was eye opening. His stroke was so powerful and accurate, and he seemed so relaxed and confident. He was just bombing in difficult shots with such grace it was both inspiring and discouraging. Inspiring because I long to be able to do that. Discouraging because I know it is unlikely I'll ever be able to develop that type of stroke. When you commit a big part of your life to a game and get to a high level it's heartbreaking to face the fact there are levels of play you'll likely never be able to unlock. When I think about those things I find myself losing motivation. What's the point?

But then I remember the joke about the bear and I'm ok again. It goes like this: Two hikers stumble across an angry, growling bear. One of the hikers quickly changes into his running shoes. The other hiker looks at him and says "What are you doing, you can't possibly outrun a bear!" The first hiker replies "I don't have to, I just have to outrun you!"

See, perfection, or SVB/Filler level of play, that is the bear. I can't outrun the bear. I understand I won't be beating them in my lifetime. But the other hiker, that is me. The me I was during this tournament. The me with the weak stroke, the shaky nerves, and the low confidence. I can't outplay SVB/Filler, but I think there's a good chance I can beat the player I was last week.

Suddenly, all of my flaws turn into good things. If my goal is to get better, then they are great! If I didn't have weaknesses in my game I'd be at a loss, totally stuck. Instead I have nothing but opportunities to improve! Furthermore, if I can achieve what I did with the game I had, what would happen if I could make it slightly less bad? I don't see winning this event as a possibility, but could I make the final 8? The final 4? Who knows? But I know a guy who'd like to find out. Little by little I feel my discouragement slipping away and that familiar feeling of fire in my belly wakes up again.

On the 12 hour ride home I committed myself to finding out how strong and powerful I could make my stroke. I got to the table today and went to work. The road ahead may be long but one thing was immediate was how much I was asking from myself. I had a crystal clear high definition picture in my mind of how Omar looked hitting those balls and I became laser focused on taking steps that direction. I started hitting shots with more distance, speed, and into tight pockets. And I did it for two long sessions today. It felt great, and I can't wait to hit it again tomorrow. And the next day.

Who knows where I'll end up. That's irrelevant to me. What's important is that I corrected my focus. Because the truth is the most important opponent we face isn't SVB or that guy in leagues that has our number. It's ourselves. We are only ever competing against ourselves. And we will always win if we give it our best, because by becoming the best version of ourselves we will always be better off than if we were to succumb to discouragement and inaction.

Let the bear get that guy. I'm putting on my running shoes. Who's coming with me?!?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for sharing, tm- great stuff
I like omar's game, too
couldn't tell you why, I haven't studied him much
but he does have some ease, a smoothness to his game
as someone steeped in the game
I would love to know what you think makes his stroke the way it is
something technical, I guess?
I could see confidence playing a part
as you point to, he seems to back himself well

glad you had a good derby
and are taking your experience with
I'm behind you
watching your path
walking in flip flops:grin:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got back from the Derby and had some very mixed feelings on the way home. I considered my results, but then had to look at my play.

My results were very satisfying. This was my best Derby. I finished tied for 25th in the 1P and tied for 20th in the 9 ball. I had beaten several higher ranked players including Eberle, Pinager, Morra, and Danny Smith. Against the players similar to my speed I won two and lost one (Jesus Atencia is ranked lower than me but I'm not sure how long that will last so I don't feel too bad). And I only dropped one set to a player that was a bit under my speed.

But while my results on paper looked good, my play was disappointing. Many of my sets came down to the wire. I had several one pocket matches go 3-2 and several 9 ball matches were 6-6 or 7-7 and I barely closed them out. One match I fell behind 5-1 and only my opponent's mistakes allowed me to come back and win. I struggled with nerves a lot more than normal. And my game basically broke down. My stroke felt wobbly and weak and it felt like I was fighting myself to deliver the cue ball where I was looking. My confidence fell through the floor. Routine run outs started looking tough because I didn't know what I could count on myself to do anymore.

TinMan,

When our play is sub par but, we look good on paper, where I come from, we call that.....GETTING THE ROLLS....

We all know all to well that getting the rolls, especially at key moments is VERY, VERY powerful and all but impossible for the other player to overcome unless there is a pretty big gap in skill level.

Jeff

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
demetius your posts and you are an inspiration
i know you will continue to work on your game and take it day by day to be the best you can be.........me too.......:):)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who knows where I'll end up. That's irrelevant to me. What's important is that I corrected my focus. Because the truth is the most important opponent we face isn't SVB or that guy in leagues that has our number. It's ourselves. We are only ever competing against ourselves. And we will always win if we give it our best, because by becoming the best version of ourselves we will always be better off than if we were to succumb to discouragement and inaction.

Let the bear get that guy. I'm putting on my running shoes. Who's coming with me?!?

TinMan,

I grew up in a different area and time but, some things never change. What your saying is more or less:

"Play the table and what it gives you. NEVER play the player because if you do, at that very moment you are now playing THEIR GAME......not yours"

Sir, you may think I try to bring negativity to your threads. A friend of mine even suggested that very thing to me a couple days ago. His very words were "it sounds like your always trying to one-up the guy"...

First off, he's a really good friend and real good guy to boot but, he knows very little about pool and to be honest, he's never been a very competitive person. I know he will read this but, we're good because he would admit the same if someone ask.

Anyways, after his comment I told him all I was doing was trying to see what you see and how you see it and then use it to relate to my experiences and to be honest, most of the time it's a very, very familiar experience.

Like I told my frien, I REALLY, REALLY enjoy reading everything you post. Not always, but most of the time I can certainly relate to what your saying.

To me, having things in common is a very powerful tool between the teacher and student.

TinMan, CONGRATULATIONS on your results at the DCC. Also, I have a feeling your performance was better than you think. That was, as it always is, a very, very competitive and talented field that you were in.

Unless a person is one of the elite, it's all but impossible to go that deep regardless of the rolls.

Again, I consider it a privilege to read your post sir.

Jeff

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
or SVB/Filler level of play, that is the bear. I can't outrun the bear. I understand I won't be beating them in my lifetime. But the other hiker, that is me. The me I was during this tournament. The me with the weak stroke, the shaky nerves, and the low confidence. I can't outplay SVB/Filler

What are you talking about?!? Yes you can beat them, easily.

I'm not saying this to boost your confidence, but this is pool, I can't believe people play this game this whole life and still haven't figured it out. Even I can beat them.

I saw your game, you play very well, and you can beat either of these two pro's in a good day, If all rolls go your way and you go into dead-stroke or dead-punch type of thing, all pool players know what I am talking about, if you get there, and you're break is working, then you will win against SVB or Filler or anyone else for that matter.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds like you should be proud

playing short races especially against great competition sometimes doesn't letyour game shine

these great players not only shoot dood punishing mistakes,but most of the safes put you at the edge of your skill level.

it's hard to shoot when everytime you get to the table the balls lie tough

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read pretty much everything on the Azb and I have never taken your responses to the tinner as one-upping.

I see them more as sharing things from your perspective/ experience.

TinMan,

I grew up in a different area and time but, some things never change. What your saying is more or less:

"Play the table and what it gives you. NEVER play the player because if you do, at that very moment you are now playing THEIR GAME......not yours"

Sir, you may think I try to bring negativity to your threads. A friend of mine even suggested that very thing to me a couple days ago. His very words were "it sounds like your always trying to one-up the guy"...

First off, he's a really good friend and real good guy to boot but, he knows very little about pool and to be honest, he's never been a very competitive person. I know he will read this but, we're good because he would admit the same if someone ask.

Anyways, after his comment I told him all I was doing was trying to see what you see and how you see it and then use it to relate to my experiences and to be honest, most of the time it's a very, very familiar experience.

Like I told my frien, I REALLY, REALLY enjoy reading everything you post. Not always, but most of the time I can certainly relate to what your saying.

To me, having things in common is a very powerful tool between the teacher and student.

TinMan, CONGRATULATIONS on your results at the DCC. Also, I have a feeling your performance was better than you think. That was, as it always is, a very, very competitive and talented field that you were in.

Unless a person is one of the elite, it's all but impossible to go that deep regardless of the rolls.

Again, I consider it a privilege to read your post sir.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not saying this to boost your confidence, but this is pool, I can't believe people play this game this whole life and still haven't figured it out. Even I can beat them.

I saw your game, you play very well, and you can beat either of these two pro's in a good day, If all rolls go your way and you go into dead-stroke or dead-punch type of thing, all pool players know what I am talking about, if you get there, and you're break is working, then you will win against SVB or Filler or anyone else for that matter.

In short:

Don't matter who your opponent is, if you keep them sitting or at least keep control of the table (safeties)...you are the favorite to win.

Sure, it's easier said than done....by far but, even at a higher level of play and in tournaments where killers are vast in numbers, they cannot defeat you if they don't get the opportunity.

If anyone understands any of this, it would most definitely be a highly motivated coach/instructor.

Jeff

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always thought I had the skills to compete at the top local level, but got lots of 3-8 places in the big local events.

But then one time...it all came together at the right time and I played 2 days of near perfect sets and won the event.

It CAN happen. Beating those big boys isn't going to happen often, but WILL happen, sometimes.

Keep punching, Demetrius.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Tin Man- I enjoyed your words- and try to live by them myself on the table- keeps me going at 66 - feeling like someday- in the next few years- at least at 14.1 I will slay a few giants. I have played against a few of them- Mika, Earl, Robles, at 10 ball - I'm not going to be close enough to them ever at 10 ball- At this age I WON'T HIT THE LONGER CUTS consistently enough, I won't have their 9/10 ball safety game, I can't jump a ball worth a shot! But at 14.1, where I can keep everything fairly close, JUST MAYBE!! Thanks for your encouraging words!!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the replies! I didn't take any of this as negative. I love the AZB community and I enjoy sharing the pool journey with so many like minded competitors.

To clarify what I meant when I said I couldn't beat Filler or SVB, I simply meant I won't get my game to that level. Of course I realize I can take sets off of them. And while it may seem negative to say I won't get my game to that level, this is how I fend off the voice in my head that says things like "You'll never get there, you should give up!" Instead of trying to argue with myself about how I can too get to that level, I find it's easier to shut that voice up by telling it I don't care what SVB can do, my job is to do better than I did yesterday.

As for how I got the results I did, I'm pretty sure it wasn't getting the rolls, at least not more so than my opponent. There are some things I did very well that lead to those results. There are holes in the games of the top players that I find very perplexing. I told my best friend that it was almost like they built these incredible fortresses of pool with 500' walls, where each rock was hand placed perfectly and polished to a shine...but then they only constructed three walls and the back of their fortress was totally unprotected and enemy soldiers are just strolling in and sacking the town. My three walls may not stand as tall as theirs, but I have a fourth wall that gives me compensation and fighting chances. I'll leave that subject for another day. For now I want to go back to the first three walls and see if I can strengthen them up a bit.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perspective

It took me a long time to learn this, but there are upward comparisons and downward comparisons. Unless you're the best player in the world, upward comparisons are depressing. Everyone cannot be the that single person who's the best. When I was younger and obsessed with nothing but playing good pool, I never appreciated where I was at and always stressed about where I wasn't. Wrong perspective. Now I enjoy the game much more.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I got to spend a lot of time watching the premier strikers in the game. Shaw, Filler, SVB of course. But another player that really dazzled me was Omar Al Shaheen who eliminated me from the 9 ball. Watching him was eye opening. His stroke was so powerful and accurate, and he seemed so relaxed and confident. He was just bombing in difficult shots with such grace it was both inspiring and discouraging. Inspiring because I long to be able to do that. Discouraging because I know it is unlikely I'll ever be able to develop that type of stroke. When you commit a big part of your life to a game and get to a high level it's heartbreaking to face the fact there are levels of play you'll likely never be able to unlock. When I think about those things I find myself losing motivation. What's the point?

But then I remember the joke about the bear and I'm ok again. It goes like this: Two hikers stumble across an angry, growling bear. One of the hikers quickly changes into his running shoes. The other hiker looks at him and says "What are you doing, you can't possibly outrun a bear!" The first hiker replies "I don't have to, I just have to outrun you!"

See, perfection, or SVB/Filler level of play, that is the bear. I can't outrun the bear. I understand I won't be beating them in my lifetime. But the other hiker, that is me. The me I was during this tournament. The me with the weak stroke, the shaky nerves, and the low confidence. I can't outplay SVB/Filler, but I think there's a good chance I can beat the player I was last week.

Suddenly, all of my flaws turn into good things. If my goal is to get better, then they are great! If I didn't have weaknesses in my game I'd be at a loss, totally stuck. Instead I have nothing but opportunities to improve! Furthermore, if I can achieve what I did with the game I had, what would happen if I could make it slightly less bad? I don't see winning this event as a possibility, but could I make the final 8? The final 4? Who knows? But I know a guy who'd like to find out. Little by little I feel my discouragement slipping away and that familiar feeling of fire in my belly wakes up again.

On the 12 hour ride home I committed myself to finding out how strong and powerful I could make my stroke. I got to the table today and went to work. The road ahead may be long but one thing was immediate was how much I was asking from myself. I had a crystal clear high definition picture in my mind of how Omar looked hitting those balls and I became laser focused on taking steps that direction. I started hitting shots with more distance, speed, and into tight pockets. And I did it for two long sessions today. It felt great, and I can't wait to hit it again tomorrow. And the next day.

First let me say that I watched a couple of your matches. I saw the win over Morra and parts of two other matches. I can’t really comment on how well you did or didn’t play, because I haven’t really seen you play a lot.

However remember that each set is different and regardless of our opponent we can’t always play our best. Only the elite players (about 25 or 30) in the world play basically perfect pool most of the time not all the time. All players have ups and downs. Even in the same tournament. Speaking for myself I played a big tournament a while back and made it to the final 8 on the winners side. I was playing a very good player, who wound up finishing 2nd. In our match he didn’t play up to his usual speed, however I played so bad that I couldn’t have beat him no matter what he did. I felt like you described that why even bother. But later I realized I finished 9th in a field of 75 players and I didn’t even play my average game. So my take is we simply only play our best pool one time in our life the rest of the time we are going to leave room for improvement. Always something to strive for but also be proud of what you have accomplished and be thankful because 99% of the players will never reach your level.