Measles Ball

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Thought I'd share my thoughts, on what I've learned from this Super Aramaith Ball and Super Aramith ball set both new.

The Measles ball does not draw as well as any of the cue balls I've ever used during the days I played full time, it has similar qualities of movement of a mud ball or a Heavy Big Bar Ball, but NOT. More like a big ball.

I've finally come to grips with that just recently, and the measles ball is rebooting my entire carom/follow/draw/gearing thought process....I'm sure there's another word that other instructors use than ''gearing'' but it's how I perceive....when a spinning cue ball hits a stationary object ball. It's from yrs of running auto/truck/motorhome repair shops, that why I express it this way.

I'm able to do allot of things with this ball, that all the other cue balls were Not able to do....and in turn it doesn't do allot things other cue balls can do.

I'll do my best to explain my thoughts on this....

It plays like a heavy bar ball but ironically, when hitting an object ball somewhat full and your rolling your cue ball, the carom angle off the object ball is NOT like a heavy ball. The carom angle is wider rolling whitey, but not on thin cuts hummmmmmmm.

When your drawing your ball hitting your obj. ball somewhat full, at a good speed to get back up table, it acts like a heavy ball and doesn't draw quickly....it has More forward movement because it's a MB, and then it feels like a heavy bar ball.

On thin cuts down the long rail the cue ball will not come directly back across table, it plays like a heavy ball and moves down table (where the ball is being pocketed) as it goes back and forth, long rail to long rail. Those actions are like a cue ball that's heavier than the obj. ball.

Draw shots.....The dirtier this ball gets during play (and the object balls are also getting more chalk on em), the more gearing one can do with Whitey when striking an object ball.

Meaning, if I hit the object ball in the same place with more spin, the obj. ball will cut more.
If you've every played with an oversized Bar Ball, your aware that you can NOT hit the object ball and the rail at the same time to pocket the ball. You have to hit the object ball fat, and utilize the gearing spin of the cue ball to create the proper cut to pocket the ball.

Hope these thoughts help you understand what's going on.
As one changes cue balls from tournament to pool room, the entire game/patterns/position play must also change.

I remember yrs ago, mid seventies, when Bob Osborne/Black Bart came to Colorado Springs, to Grady Matthews room. He had this ball none of us had ever seen, it was a red circle cue ball.

He told Grady He'd give em a game on the wire race to 11 9 ball. Gurgling Grady, smiled and turned em down. Grady was well aware how important it was to know Whitey before you Play/gamble, with a player of his caliber.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont have as much experience as you, but I noticed I can draw a Measle Ball very well compared to a steel core. I normally play with the Super Aramith Red Logo. Which is the same ball as the Measle Ball, but it had its vaccine and never got the measles.

I have two Red Circles also. They do seem to play slightly lighter.

Island Drive

Silver Member
I dont have as much experience as you, but I noticed I can draw a Measle Ball very well compared to a steel core. I normally play with the Super Aramith Red Logo. Which is the same ball as the Measle Ball, but it had its vaccine and never got the measles.

I have two Red Circles also. They do seem to play slightly lighter.

Cue balls never lie.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Thought I'd share my thoughts, on what I've learned from this Super Aramaith Ball and Super Aramith ball set both new.

The Measles ball does not draw as well as any of the cue balls I've ever used during the days I played full time, it has similar qualities of movement of a mud ball or a Heavy Big Bar Ball, but NOT. More like a big ball.

I've finally come to grips with that just recently, and the measles ball is rebooting my entire carom/follow/draw/gearing thought process....I'm sure there's another word that other instructors use than ''gearing'' but it's how I perceive....when a spinning cue ball hits a stationary object ball. It's from yrs of running auto/truck/motorhome repair shops, that why I express it this way.

I'm able to do allot of things with this ball, that all the other cue balls were Not able to do....and in turn it doesn't do allot things other cue balls can do.

It plays like a heavy bar ball but ironically, when hitting an object ball somewhat full and your rolling your cue ball, the carom angle off the object ball is NOT like a heavy ball. The carom angle is wider rolling whitey, but not on thin cuts hummmmmmmm.

When your drawing your ball hitting your obj. ball somewhat full, at a good speed to get back up table, it acts like a heavy ball and doesn't draw quickly....it has More forward movement because it's a MB, and then it feels like a heavy bar ball.

On thin cuts down the long rail the cue ball will not come directly back across table, it plays like a heavy ball and moves down table (where the ball is being pocketed) as it goes back and forth, long rail to long rail. Those actions are like a cue ball that's heavier than the obj. ball.

Draw shots.....The dirtier this ball gets during play (and the object balls are also getting more chalk on em), the more gearing one can do with Whitey when striking an object ball.

Meaning, if I hit the object ball in the same place with more spin, the obj. ball will cut more.
If you've every played with an oversized Bar Ball, your aware that you can NOT hit the object ball and the rail at the same time to pocket the ball. You have to hit the object ball fat, and utilize the gearing spin of the cue ball to create the proper cut to pocket the ball.

As one changes cue balls from tournament to pool room, the entire game/patterns/position play must also change.

I remember yrs ago, mid seventies, when Bob Osborne/Black Bart came to Colorado Springs, to Grady Matthews room. He had this ball none of us had ever seen, it was a red circle cue ball.

He told Grady He'd give em a game on the wire race to 11 9 ball. Gurgling Grady, smiled and turned em down. Grady was well aware how important it was to know Whitey before you Play/gamble, with a player of his caliber.

Bill,

Just for giggles...did you weigh your individual balls. I'd be curious to see if your dotted friend is heavier than your set.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The Red Circle is a specialty ball form Aramith, it's lighter and draws much more easily. The Measle ball and the standard Red Logo ball are the same ball to the gram

It takes a stroke to be able to draw the real balls, the Red Circle balls draw for free, that's why 9-ballers prefer them

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
The logo ball and the measles ball don't play the same to me. The logo ball plays more dead. The duramith black logo ball plays even more dead. The centennial blue circle is the best playing cue ball, but I never use it because it's never used anywhere.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue balls never lie.

But people do. Unintentionally most of the time though. Lack of understanding the information in front of you leads to bad final statements. You didn’t do your due diligence when dealing with proper conditions. New ball vs used. Clean vs dirty. Polished vs unpolished. The list can go on and on. You failed to quantify everything, and are left with worthless and it’s entirely subjective to your realm of claims. Compare weight differences between ALL balls, not just CB’s. Get a polisher and then clean and polish ALL the balls to the same clean/shine. Let’s see how your subjective claims match up with objective claims.

Island Drive

Silver Member
The Red Circle is a specialty ball form Aramith, it's lighter and draws much more easily. The Measle ball and the standard Red Logo ball are the same ball to the gram

It takes a stroke to be able to draw the real balls, the Red Circle balls draw for free, that's why 9-ballers prefer them

I've known that since the 70's...................It was the preferred cue ball for 9 ball for a long time. If you went long on your angle, and you had a stroke like McCready or Black Bart, or any of the great player they could take that route.

It allowed players with a great swing to move that ball with draw, but you were NOT able to do that with the Centennial set blue circle cue ball.

That ball was the Best for 14.1. It had the proper weight and overspin churning, needed to move into and thru a full rack of balls.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here we go, a new Red Circle is the same weight as the other balls. However most of the red circles are lighter because they are as old as dirt. I recently weighed six red circles at the pool hall. They weighed between 156-167 grams. 167/168 is what new balls weigh.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No............

I weight balls every so often. I also have two Measle balls, a red circle, and a blue circle. Guess what? They all weigh the same. Sorry Bill but I don’t believe your story for one second providing we are talking about new cue balls all weighing 168 grams. Unless you are able to distort gravity and time, or live right next to a black hole you are just mistaken. Come to Chicago in June for the Tournament and some scientific discovery’s

Island Drive

Silver Member
I weight balls every so often. I also have two Measle balls, a red circle, and a blue circle. Guess what? They all weigh the same. Sorry Bill but I don’t believe your story for one second providing we are talking about new cue balls all weighing 168 grams. Unless you are able to distort gravity and time, or live right next to a black hole you are just mistaken. Come to Chicago in June for the Tournament and some scientific discovery’s

I never said Anything about the ball weight
, just how the measles ball reacted under play conditions.

Someone else chimed in about the weight of the balls, I don't care what they weigh.

What story are you talking about???

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I never said Anything about the ball weight
, just how the measles ball reacted under play conditions.

Someone else chimed in about the weight of the balls, I don't care what they weigh.

What story are you talking about???

The story About how different the cue balls react. It’s all about weight unless you can change physics

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My new red circle weighs the same as my new red logo. Just to be clear, when I said the red circle "plays" lighter, I wasnt referring to the weight. It's more of a feel thing. Sort of like one has more friction on the cloth then the other.

I will admit that it is probably more in my head then it is fact.

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The story About how different the cue balls react. It’s all about weight unless you can change physics

It is possible that elasticity and or finish causes different results.

It is possible that ball construction, perhaps a heavy core and lighter exterior, are equal in weight but react different.

It is possible that we are all delusional.

Island Drive

Silver Member
It is possible that elasticity and or finish causes different results.

It is possible that ball construction, perhaps a heavy core and lighter exterior, are equal in weight but react different.

It is possible that we are all delusional.

Nope, just we're all entitled to our opinions. I gave you mine.

He said I said 168 and I......well you know the rest of that story, it's in the threads.

Good night. :boring2:

Island Drive

Silver Member
Bill,

Just for giggles...did you weigh your individual balls. I'd be curious to see if your dotted friend is heavier than your set.

Ask the pilot, he seems to think I did weigh em. I'm tho unable to find that post.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

FWIW, a lot of my friends play with that ball and I hate it. It is usually larger than the balls in the set that comes with the tables at Brian's and it seems to be made of a different type of material...something slicker.

I use a Red Triangle ball and it plays heavier than the measle, even though it isn't as big. My ball is the same size as the balls in the tray.

The measle ball plays lighter than my ball and I have a tendency to overrun my position if I hit the ball with the same stroke as I do my ball. I can draw the measle ball way easier than my ball, also. I can easily draw the measle ball table length.

And, I don't like watching the spots spinning around and around.

Give me a plain white cue ball any day.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
rolls long, I think it is in the manufacturing process

I have one of the quality measles balls. I don't use it even in practice because it rolls long. Three rails, I am going to run past shape with the measles ball compared to the red circle that is used in competition in my favorite hall. My perception is that it rolls sixteen-eighteen inches long.

Long ago I read there was an extra clearcoating step making a measles ball. I don't know if it is true or not, I think that was supposed to explain the marking when hitting with phenolic tips. It seems like the curing process would be a bit different as well as the extra coat. I assume the ball is originally slightly smaller and lighter than a standard ball before this final coat.

Then again, all of this may be hokum. It has been a long time since I read this about the clearcoat and I don't remember the source. Seemed valid at the time.

Much like Bill, I don't care why the measles ball rolls long, I care that I have to make adjustments that are then wrong when I move to the red circle ball. Might be the weight, might be the composition, might be the cure, might be something I don't even consider. It seems to play heavy hitting other balls, then rolls long which I don't know if indicates heavy or light after rebounding off cushions.

All that really matters to me is the measles ball I own is a poor ball to practice with if I am then going to compete with a different ball.

Hu