Canada Billiard La Condo Stainless 9' Table

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not so much a review, as I am a definite novice, so I hesitate to say whether aspects of the table are good or bad. But I can take some photos, and tell you about what I observed.

We ordered this table because a dining conversion was a requirement to get one in the house. We looked at other dining conversions but found the critical issue (if it was to really be a dining table) was the thickness of the table, i.e. from the top of the dining top, to the bottom where your legs go. Many tables were 8" even 12", which is just too thick for a human being to comfortably sit under it.

We struggled with height, as a full height table (32" rail) puts the table top at 33", which feels awfully high, requiring taller chairs, people's feet do not quite hit the floor, etc. But a short table (they offer 30" rail) feels awfully short to play on. We compromised on 31" as we were told Canada Billiards would customize.

Except we found they could not do so for Stainless, as the legs were pre-made, so we ended up with a 30", then added a 1" foot of granite. You'll see it later.

We also ordered furniture from Canada Billiards, which ended up being a questionable thing to do (again, you'll see below).

We ordered through Robertson's Billiards in Tampa, FL, and they did the install. They were very good to work with, quick to get the table and arrange an install, and very tolerant of my pointing cameras everywhere while they worked. A good experience.

The following few topics will hold the photos and some comments. If you are reading this before a final note from me, please check back as I will break it up a bit on different aspects. If you would be kind enough to hold comments until I finish the set, it will keep the replies from inter-mixing.

Linwood

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frame Construction

The frame consisted of four wooden legs, with stainless steel jackets. The design is intended to maximums the space under the table for diners legs.

Here's a joint at the top for the band around the table, the part on the left is from the short side.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4521_88028-X2.jpg

Putting it together yielded a large, empty frame (here being checked for square).

https://photos.smugmug.com/Pooltabl...le Install 06-29-2017 - DD8_4523_88030-X2.jpg

Now comes the brackets that carry the steel support beams. They carry the weight on the wooden end band on those hooks inserted in the wood. I was surprised how small/thin that end is to carry all that weight. The other side is stainless, but I think that is a facade, the wood seems to carry the weight.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4525_88032-X2.jpg

The beams run end to end, and there are separate supports where the slate will be joined. These black cross pieces do not support the beam though, the beams ride above the cutouts in them.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4526_88033-X2.jpg

At this point a lot of time was spent leveling the frame carefully so it would be close when the slate was installed. We also set the frame up on the granite "feet" I had made (1/16" cork was used underneath them to give a bit of extra friction, and also some leveling over grout lines in the tile).

The slate will ride on the beams, and the cross pieces are used for shims to level each section against the other.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4530_88036-X2.jpg

The frame went together pretty quickly. Moving on...

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slate and Cloth

The slate came in - it looked awfully heavy, glad they turned down my offers to help.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4531_88037-X2.jpg

Tentative screw down. The white pieces of paper are for super-glue to wick down in the crack and give a bit of extra "stick" to keep the slate in place once leveled.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4533_88039-X2.jpg

Lots of shim work happened here, I did not bother getting under the table to take photos, but the slate went from pretty closely matched, to pretty darn perfect.

They used Bee's Wax to fill the cracks.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4534_88040-X2.jpg

Ready for cloth:

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4539_88045-X2.jpg

The top rails came with the cloth already installed.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4541_88047-X2.jpg

The slate got covered next. We had chosen a gold cloth to blend with the colors in the room. I had wanted a darker color, like Burgundy, but so many people suggested staying away from dark colors I gave in.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4543_88049-X2.jpg

The cloth was stretched and glued down, not stapled. The design of the table did not give access to the wooden backing of the slate at this point, at least not enough to get a stapler in to hit it. The installer said this is typical of these dining conversions. Lots of stretching and pulling...

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4550_88056-X2.jpg

I was quite surprised how much time it took to cut in and stretch the pockets just so. These were stapled underneath as well as glued, and additional felt added under the edge.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4551_88057-X2.jpg

Now for the top rail...

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The top rail was already covered in the cloth, but was assembled in two U's and then put on the table. This shows the studs installed, but they actually had to come out again as the hardware holding the side pockets together was not very accessible, and it was necessary to slide the whole assembled unit a couple inches to one side to access (one from the pocket, one from outside the table).

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4555_88061-X2.jpg

These are the dowel and bolt, and behind on the table the piece (one of two) that needs to be inserted. This was difficult at this point.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4558_88064-X2.jpg

While all this was going on, I grabbed a shot of the bottom. It's pretty clean underneath, the steel keeps from a need for center supports, and lots of room for people's legs when used as a dining table.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4559_88065-X2.jpg

Here's what the pockets look like.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4560_88066-X2.jpg

A pocket before the leather is installed. The shelf (or whatever you call the part angled down into the hole) is nice and smooth, and at least to me the cloth looks evenly stretched into and around the pockets. I wondered how that was done, and it just appears to be well calibrated arms.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Pooltabl...le Install 06-29-2017 - DD8_4561_88067-X2.jpg

Pockets. I was surprised all six appear identical in size, I assumed the sides were a different size, but apparently not.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4562_88068-X2.jpg

A completed side pocket.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4564_88070-X2.jpg

A completed end pocket.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4565_88071-X2.jpg

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So about that dining top....

The top is nicely made, with groves cut for the pockets, and pads for the rail tops.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4553_88059-X2.jpg

The top is in 5 pieces on the 8' and 9' table, 4 on the smaller tables. These are fairly heavy, but there's an included storage stand for them, with wheels.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4554_88060-X2.jpg

There are metal guides to keep them aligned and the groves make it obvious which go at which end and the middle; the other two pieces are interchangeable.

Here's what it looks like when you put it all together:

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4577_88083-X2.jpg

It makes for a LONG dining table!

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4580_88085-X2.jpg

I think they did a beautiful job on the wood finish. It's a nice satin both in feel and looks, and the wood (birch I think, but not sure) has a nice random grain pattern. And of course it matches the top rails.

Moving on to the furniture...

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The furniture

Now comes some bad aspects. Because we wanted chairs of a specific height, and they would customize, and it was nice that they matched, we ordered chairs and a storage bench from Canada Billiards.

The chairs are simple and well built. They are fairly pricey for what you get.

They were NOT packed well. Two of the punched holes through the boxes, and the legs were sticking out about 6" (here is the box - they unpacked before I could get a shot of the legs sticking out).

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4505_88012-L.jpg

The legs naturally got beat up in transit:

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4505_88012-L.jpg

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4508_88015-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Pooltabl...ble Install 06-29-2017 - DD8_4511_88018-L.jpg

Two chairs need to go back. I am waiting to hear when/how they will get replaced. Their initial suggestion was they would just send a leg. I insisted the installer remove a leg to show it can be done -- it cannot, they were glued on as well as screwed.

It gets worse. The bench was a storage bench and had hinges to allow it to swing open. However, it also had some kind of spring loaded stop. As soon as you opened the bench, the stops pulled right out of the top.

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4514_88021-X2.jpg

The prints were MUCH too strong, and had some weird click-stop that was almost impossible to move (I tried by hand after the next one came completely off):

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4515_88022-XL.jpg

Besides being inadequately attached, I think if they WERE attached well, the bench would not open completely (though there's a mysterious extra click, where the top bracket above moves about 45 degrees -- but it is VERY hard to move).

I think the design is just plain flawed, and decided rather than having them try to fix it with this bad design, since this is just a stop to keep the hinges from over-extending, I am going to put a chain on each end to hold it open just past 90 degrees. Simple and foolproof.

But seriously some bad handling of the furniture, between packing and this stop/hinge design. The table parts itself were packed very well, nothing touched any of those parts in transit, but the furniture... the bench actually survived a very bad crush of the box, fortunately where the empty space was. They really need to pay more attention to furniture if they are going to charge so much for it.

Except for the weird hardware, the storage bench is rather nice, here it is with stuff placed inside:

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4576_88082-X2.jpg

The cloth on it was our choice; they allow the customer to send them cloth for covering of the chairs or bench (they also have quite a bit to choose from). My wife wanted something "fun", hence this pattern.

The storage was a bit disappointing as there is no where for the racks (the full rack will fit over the balls, the 9 ball would have to lie on the cues which seems wrong), and not much room for anything else. On the other hand, there's clearance under the table top for the racks and lots of other stuff if you wish.

Best the bench just pushes under the table to play -- it's hard enough to find space to store the five chairs we ordered (I tried to talk my boss into two benches, but she wanted chairs on one side).

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a side by side of the table with the top, and configured for playing.

Dual%20Use%20-%20DualUse-XL.jpg

It's a HUGE dining table, but it is actually quite comfortable to sit at. I thought it would be a lot more awkward; it works nicely. The chairs we ordered are about 1" higher than they recommend, which I think helps (someone with really thick legs might have trouble sitting under the table though).

Some other details:

Pocket width was a surprising 4.75", not 5" (I measured one in the dealer, a different model and a 8' one, and it looked like 5", but this is right at 4.75", assuming I am measuring it in the right place:

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4570_88076-L.jpg

I don't know how meaningful it is, but I did the Table Difficult thing, and got:

Table size = 9' = 1.00
Pocket Size = 12.1cm = 0.95
Pocket Angle = 18mm difference = 1.02
Pocket shelf = 41mm = 1.00

TDF = 0.97 = Average

Some specs from Canada Billiards:

Weight = 1112 pounds = 505 kg (shipping)
Top = 218 pounds = 99 kg (shipping)
Cushions are "Master Speed" rubber.

That's all for now, comments or questions welcomed. I'd love to know how this looks and compares, construction and/or install wise, to "real" tables that are not dual purpose.

Oh... almost forgot... Here's a time lapsed video of the install (not sure how to install so here's a direct link):

https://youtu.be/N7DBI4jDrw8

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Linwood, I've been to two goat ropings and a county fair but I've never seen anything like this. It's both unique and beautiful at the same time! And terrific photos to boot.

I would really love to hear a report on how it plays when you've put in a little time on it, and also how solid it feels to you. It certainly appears to be well engineered.

Congratulations on a great addition to your home!

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Linwood, I've been to two goat ropings and a county fair but I've never seen anything like this. It's both unique and beautiful at the same time! And terrific photos to boot.

Oh, come now, you must not be in a real country-type county then. Or didn't eat enough deep-fried stuff before hand. :smile:

I would really love to hear a report on how it plays when you've put in a little time on it, and also how solid it feels to you. It certainly appears to be well engineered.

To me it plays awful -- most of my shots go nowhere near where I intended. They roll straight and seem to bounce true, but I'm sure it can't be that I have not shot for 12 years, so the table must be defective. :angry:

More seriously, I need to discover I have a friend who is a secret billiard expert, who can come over and try it from a non-beginner perspective.

I did run across one minor issue -- you can't get very many balls in these shallow pockets. This is the fifth ball sticking up:

Pool%20Table%20Install%2006-29-2017%20-%20DD8_4567_88073-XL.jpg

That's proof that somehow I did manage to get 5 balls to go in however!!

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not being able to get many balls in a single pocket is something I wouldn't have thought of, but I actually had the CEO of the company that builds a table I've considered warn me about this very thing. He did say they could extend the skirt/apron a little and put in bigger pockets if I wanted.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
They used a carpenter's level? A machinist's one is really what you need to level a pool table. Try slow rolling a ball an inch away from every rails

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They used a carpenter's level? A machinist's one is really what you need to level a pool table. Try slow rolling a ball an inch away from every rails

I had watched quite a few videos of people doing installs, and this did give me some pause, but as I didn't have a Starrett lying around I did not have a better offer at that point. I was also surprised he used the carpenter's level as a straightedge for checking that the joints were flat. Before they left I quietly did what you suggested, and could not see a problem, though lack of experience and "see" are connected. I also just tried it again more carefully, and they seemed to track very straight (limited here more by how parallel to the edge I could get it started, but there was no apparent curve, in particular as it went from one slate to the other).

I frankly wasn't worried nearly as much about the leg leveling, as it looks pretty easy to adjust. I was worried if he had the slate shimmed flat relative to each other (not just a smooth edge). That old level was a bit shop worn, and didn't seem to be a great straight edge. But so far I can't see any change in direction as it crosses from one piece to another.

-------

On an unrelated note, we got a call first thing this morning that they are ordering replacement chairs and will deliver when they get them. No hassles at all on that front (or that I withheld payment for them, but still have them).

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing. Table looks very nice both as a dining and pool table

Played on it any yet?

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing. Table looks very nice both as a dining and pool table

Played on it any yet?

Thanks. Just knocking balls around so far, was hoping to have some people over tonight but my wife insists we are going to someone else's house. Seems a bit of a crime to have it just sitting there and leaving though.

Spent most of the day redoing how that bench opens, so it works nicely now. Just a bad design they had for how to control the top. The whole idea is kind of neat, but not sure how practical in the longer run - you push the bench under the table to play, so getting additional stuff out or putting in is a bit of a pain. But wife didn't want a separate rack or cabinet for pool storage in the room, so this works. Compromise is.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. Just knocking balls around so far, was hoping to have some people over tonight but my wife insists we are going to someone else's house. Seems a bit of a crime to have it just sitting there and leaving though.

Spent most of the day redoing how that bench opens, so it works nicely now. Just a bad design they had for how to control the top. The whole idea is kind of neat, but not sure how practical in the longer run - you push the bench under the table to play, so getting additional stuff out or putting in is a bit of a pain. But wife didn't want a separate rack or cabinet for pool storage in the room, so this works. Compromise is.

Beautiful room, table and house. Congratulations on having a wife and a house. You've outdone 90 % of the pool community. Your ability to compromise, probably keeps the wife. LOL. My son (at the insistence of his wife) is going to order an A.E. Schmidt table in farmhouse style to match the decor. Should prove to provide hours of fun for the family and kids. I suggested a GC, Centennial, Anniversary or Diamond but those tables got a lot of "yucks".

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. Your ability to compromise, probably keeps the wife.

I borrowed her "Wife dictionary" (don't tell) and under compromise it says "he will just agree with you, but should also apologize for even considering not agreeing with you". :rolleyes:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you good pool playing buddy come over and check it out? Please let us know how it plays.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you good pool playing buddy come over and check it out? Please let us know how it plays.

As mentioned, I have none that appear to be good at pool. I have a bunch that want to come play, we are having a party on the 4th, and it won't be configured as a dining table. :rolleyes:

I've been playing at it now off and on a couple days (in between fixing up that bench, adjusting lighting, etc.).

I'm not experienced enough to comment much on feel. Some objective things:

- A good hard stroke, about like a break, from the break position lengthwise will hit four rails and come about mid-way back. From memory that's good active bounces; does it sound about right? Recognizing I cannot probably hit it straight as hard as someone experienced.

- Everything rolls really true. I can't hit anything straight, but with no spin balls track straight in all directions. I also got a digital level, experimented and found it would register a business card stuck under one end. I checked in all directions and all were either reading dead level or off by no more than that business card difference, i.e. the minimum reading.

- Because of the dining aspect it's 1" lower than standard (rail is 31", I think standard is 32"). That's noticeable. Not bad, but noticeable, even with me not in practice. Either that or 12 years older makes it harder to bend over, but I'm going with it being shorter, that's my story and I'll stick to it.

On the good side the lighting worked out nicely (I'm SO glad people here emphasized how important that was, and I spent time before hand redoing the cans and lights). The spacing is fine, we put it 54" off the wall -- well, off the molding, so about 55, and with about 6.5" rails I feel no tendency to hit the walls.

Really the only thing annoying is the shallow pockets. It's not really a big deal to pick up a few balls and either move to another pocket, or off the table, but it is annoying.

I'll eventually run into someone I know here who is a real, serious pool player, and get a more experienced opinion. Or meet some people; maybe once I get in practice a bit I'll go to one of the 8-ball tournaments they have nearby, and meet someone there.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
As mentioned, I have none that appear to be good at pool. I have a bunch that want to come play, we are having a party on the 4th, and it won't be configured as a dining table. :rolleyes:

I've been playing at it now off and on a couple days (in between fixing up that bench, adjusting lighting, etc.).

I'm not experienced enough to comment much on feel. Some objective things:

- A good hard stroke, about like a break, from the break position lengthwise will hit four rails and come about mid-way back. From memory that's good active bounces; does it sound about right? Recognizing I cannot probably hit it straight as hard as someone experienced.

- Everything rolls really true. I can't hit anything straight, but with no spin balls track straight in all directions. I also got a digital level, experimented and found it would register a business card stuck under one end. I checked in all directions and all were either reading dead level or off by no more than that business card difference, i.e. the minimum reading.

- Because of the dining aspect it's 1" lower than standard (rail is 31", I think standard is 32"). That's noticeable. Not bad, but noticeable, even with me not in practice. Either that or 12 years older makes it harder to bend over, but I'm going with it being shorter, that's my story and I'll stick to it.

On the good side the lighting worked out nicely (I'm SO glad people here emphasized how important that was, and I spent time before hand redoing the cans and lights). The spacing is fine, we put it 54" off the wall -- well, off the molding, so about 55, and with about 6.5" rails I feel no tendency to hit the walls.

Really the only thing annoying is the shallow pockets. It's not really a big deal to pick up a few balls and either move to another pocket, or off the table, but it is annoying.

I'll eventually run into someone I know here who is a real, serious pool player, and get a more experienced opinion. Or meet some people; maybe once I get in practice a bit I'll go to one of the 8-ball tournaments they have nearby, and meet someone there.

Sounds like it's going to be fine. 4.5 X table length is about average speed so that is good. Now if it will "Z" a ball; from a corner pocket, hit the cue firmly about a foot short of the side pocket, the ball should form a "z" shape and possibly hit the end rail.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like it's going to be fine. 4.5 X table length is about average speed so that is good. Now if it will "Z" a ball; from a corner pocket, hit the cue firmly about a foot short of the side pocket, the ball should form a "z" shape and possibly hit the end rail.

Not certain I understand, but I did this: From the corner pocket, I hit a few inches before the diamond that side of the opposite side. It went off that rail, back to my rail, to back to the far rail near the furthest diamond on that side (same side as first hit), then hit the end rail. It takes only a moderate stroke to get it all the way, not nearly what it took for 4.5 lengths of the table.

If I hit closer to the diamond on the first rail (near the side) it goes further down the second rail (my side) and hits the end rail without striking the opposite side a second time. +/- if I put any spin, I was trying for a center hit.

So I gather that's what you expect?