Stroking not poking

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Why am I having challenges stroking through the ball vs. poking?

Recommendations, please?

Thanks .. john_oleson@comcast.net

When trying to improve a stroke flaw, it is necessary to concentrate during practice on what you are doing. Your brain must be engaged fully into correcting your flaw. After several repetitions, your "new stroke" will become automatic.

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was starting out someone told me to stay down and follow through even if I shoot the ball straight into the rail..... I think beginners got sidetracked by making the ball that they forget fundamental sometimes.....just my 2 cents

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
When trying to improve a stroke flaw, it is necessary to concentrate during practice on what you are doing. Your brain must be engaged fully into correcting your flaw. After several repetitions, your "new stroke" will become automatic.

Hmmm...

I just helped a student with something like this yesterday. If your backstroke is varying in length, your forward stroke will tend to vary:

1) Pick bridge length of stroke you want to practice, say, 9 inches between cue ball and your bridge hand

2) Wrap a rubber band around the ferrule of your stick where the ferrule meets the shaft

3) On practice strokes and final strokes, feel the rubber band touch your bridge hand

The reason to come all the way back is this, with most any length of bridge, if you stroke smoothly and completely back all the way, it will be difficult to do anything but stroke smoothly forward through the cue ball.

John oleson

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hmmm...

I just helped a student with something like this yesterday. If your backstroke is varying in length, your forward stroke will tend to vary:

1) Pick bridge length of stroke you want to practice, say, 9 inches between cue ball and your bridge hand

2) Wrap a rubber band around the ferrule of your stick where the ferrule meets the shaft

3) On practice strokes and final strokes, feel the rubber band touch your bridge hand

The reason to come all the way back is this, with most any length of bridge, if you stroke smoothly and completely back all the way, it will be difficult to do anything but stroke smoothly forward through the cue ball.
Tried Matt's idea .... works!!!!!!!

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a major reason why I made the DigiCue. The Follow Through parameter measures how punchy or how smooth your follow through is. As you experiment the numbers will increase when you get the follow through correct, and will quickly validate that feeling so that you will remember. It's a coach that is always there for you.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

Good info I was talking about that in a soup bowl hat along time ago lol.

One edit Lee needs to correct is that’s not a slip stroke he’s describing.

That’s known as stroke slip or dart stroke among others.

A slip stroke during the final back swing the grip hand loosens just enough the hand slides back on the cue, but the cue doesn’t really move back much during this.

Once the hand basically regrips it delivers the shot forward.

Of a true follow through I’d say technically this would be the way to maximize it the most.

I think follow through even when talking about. Piston stroke/ elbow drop isnt good or true.

Being that the tip going fRther through the cb doesn’t equate to more power and spin then any possible gain one could get would have to be that of leverage.

Slip stroke does have more leverage due to hand placement.

There is no follow through.....that word is worse than ld or grip lol.

There is completing the stroke. Motion has an end.

Velocity entering the ball isn’t increased by trying to extend the penetration distance throwing the arm forward (long after the mall has been away albeit), neither is any kind of accuracy.

Golfers and ball players go hip to shoulder or shoulder to shoulder.

If the hands aren’t finishing there will be lost power in the motion. Deceleration of the vector.

The idea itself lends its hand to controlling and manipulating the cue during delivery with the arm.

When the arm needs to be trained like a Hinge with a spring attached to a bar.

You pull it back and it’s locked when you let it go the spring releases the stored energy and the arm swings until it traps itself at the dead. A repetitive compact motion

And a compact motion is powerful, and simple to maintain consistency of accuracy with that power which also gains better consistency, a lot of it due to timing. Complicating timing of motions will never aid anything but one can learn to use difficult timing if they do choose of course.

A player could practice a pendulum stroke while taking a poop or while walking the dog and it takes a poop.

At that moment heck yes drop and swing the elbow to scoop de poop

Just swing the arm as if nothing is there and it’s not holding anything easy as rocket science 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk