Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Dangers of having a non handicapped league with matches to 100?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-05-2019, 07:43 AM

Given a partially open table I will make to the 20's about 4 out of 5 times

Old
  (#17)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESSNA10 View Post
That's pretty strong 14.1 playing - particularly if you can get in to the 30s+ at least once and maybe twice of those 4 times! It means 4/5 times you are able to completely run out the remaining rack and leave an ideal break ball and execute a successful break shot!

Old
  (#18)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-06-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
If that's your true percentage, there should be nothing stopping you from running 100 fairly frequently. That is, if you get to 20 from an open position 80% of the time, you should get to 40 64% of the time, and so on. The only thing that might hold you back would be a mental barrier when you get into uncharted territory.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#19)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
If that's your true percentage, there should be nothing stopping you from running 100 fairly frequently. That is, if you get to 20 from an open position 80% of the time, you should get to 40 64% of the time, and so on. The only thing that might hold you back would be a mental barrier when you get into uncharted territory.
Bob, I agree. If Cessna10 is accurate with what he is claiming, there's no reason he hasn't yet run 100 balls, and he would certainly be considered among the higher levels of amateur 14.1 players, and could potentially hang with a pro level 14.1 player in a straight pool match to 100 or 150.

My high run is 98 on a 4-3/4" pocket 9-foot table, obtained nearly 20 years ago - I'm currently 62 year's old. I've rarely reached even a 50 ball run in the past 5+ years despite numerous frustrating attempts, although I realize that my chances are considerably hindered by limiting these 14.1 practice sessions to a 4-1/4" pocket table.

I would say when I'm practicing 14.1 and I set up an ideal break shot to start each run, realistically no more than 20% of the time can I get through the first rack with an ideal break shot set up to get in to the next rack, with a 20% chance for each successive rack. That computes to my chances of getting through 2 consecutive racks at any given time at 4%, the chances of getting through 3 racks (42 ball run) drops to less than 1%, etc, etc.

Probabilities tell me that based on the accuracy of those 20% odds to run a full rack and set up an ideal break ball, my chances of ever running 100 balls (7+ racks) is roughly 1 time in 8000 attempts. Even I'm able to increase my odds of running any given rack from the start from 20% up to 30%, my chances of ever running 100 balls (7+ racks), would still be less than 1 out of every 500 attempts. So realistically, I guess I need to start facing the grim reality that I'll never achieve my goal of a 100 ball run!

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 05-06-2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: edit

Old
  (#20)
14-1StraightMan
High Run 127
14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute

05-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Would like to see a video of a practice session.... We can get a better idea to where you stand with your skill level... Maybe we can help with suggestions.

Old
  (#21)
Wally in Cincy
AzB Silver Member
Wally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Wally
You describe yourself as a player who gets beat a lot, 25th best. Out of curiosity to
compare to myself, what sort of runs are you capable of. I frequently run in th20's occasisionlly
in the 30's but usually get out of position somewhere in the high 20's.
I just saw this. I don't get on here much lately.
My high run is 34 on my home table, 4 x 8 Brunswick Wellington
When our league was at SnookerS in Cincy we played on 9 ft. Robertsons with easy pockets (Gold Crown clones) My high run there was 28. I ran 24 a few times and ran 14 to 18 more times than I can count.

SnookerS closed and we moved to Michael's and 9-ft. Diamonds with tight pockets. The highest I have run there is about 20. It's just so hard to play position when you have to shoot most shots at pocket speed in order for the Diamond to not spit them back out..

Wally in Cincy

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: