Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue and shaft reviews
Reload this Page Jacoby BlaCk Carbon Fiber Shaft
Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
gregnice37
Bar Banger, Cue Collector
gregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-05-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcuer View Post
So a jacoby black shaft would not fit perfectly onto a Predator radial butt?
I didn't for me, the shaft is .007 bigger than my predator butts. Nothing huge but you can feel it if you run your fingers from the butt up the shaft. It's like a tiny lip. I'm not going to go buy anymore butts to make it a perfect fit, especially if I'm not sure I'll even like the shaft yet.

Maybe it fits better on other predator butts but the 2 I have are special editions. One being the 1st Maestro and the other being the latest Panthera 4-2

Old
  (#47)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

05-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsheriffintwn View Post
I have played with the Revo (maybe 2 weeks) hit balls with the cuetec cynergy for a couple hours and have played about a week with the Jacoby black. I tapped mine to fit 3/8-10 as well as radial pin.

The Jacoby in my opinion plays the most like a wood shaft, that is it doesn't do any weird or strange things like the Revo. I've found it's easy to transition from a wood shaft to this shaft.

As far as the 3 mentioned CF shafts the Jacoby hands down winner, then the Cuetec with the Revo coming in last.

What did I think of each shaft...here goes.

The Revo

I spent the most time with this shaft and played a lot of games and tourneys with it. I didn't mind the stock tip but felt it was a little too soft for me personally. I tried several different tips with different hardness and determined you cannot use anything harder than a med tip with this shaft. I play with a hard tip (wb) normally and tried one on this shaft, lets just say don't waste your time you will be lucky to make a ball. Overall the shaft played well but would require extra effort in relearning how to aim certain shots.

The Cuetec Cynergy

I found the shaft much easier to play with than the Revo. I didn't feel like I needed to really tweak how I aimed shots to use this shaft. I played with the stock tip and did not change it. The taper is longer (thinner) than the Revo. Overall I felt the hit was nice and it played good.

The Jacoby Black

I really feel like this shaft plays like a wood shaft. I didn't need to aim any differently with this one to make shots with even heavy english. The taper is I believe a little longer than the cuetec.I changed the stock tip out to a triangle and really like it. Overall this is my shaft of choice when it comes to CF shafts.

Hope this helps out if you're looking to get into a CF shaft.
As for aiming:

If CF is no biggie, well, why not just buy a LD wood shaft?

The reason people have a harder time adjusting to the revo is because it DOESN'T play (deflect).....(feel)....(sound)....like standard wood or LD wood shafts.

Why anyone would spend the extra money on a wood shaft wrapped with CF that plays identical to a plain LD wood shaft is beyond me UNLESS:

you want the extra smoothness and consistency of CF.

Other than that, well, it like buying a pinto that just LOOKS like a race car.

Don't let your bark be bigger than your stroke.

If I had plenty of money, I would probably lose more often.

Old
  (#48)
Sean Hallett
AzB Silver Member
Sean Hallett is on a distinguished road

05-07-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
As for aiming:

If CF is no biggie, well, why not just buy a LD wood shaft?

The reason people have a harder time adjusting to the revo is because it DOESN'T play (deflect).....(feel)....(sound)....like standard wood or LD wood shafts.

Why anyone would spend the extra money on a wood shaft wrapped with CF that plays identical to a plain LD wood shaft is beyond me UNLESS:

Other than that, well, it like buying a pinto that just LOOKS like a race car.
The core of the Jacoby Black is 100% foam and not wood. Also, CF shafts don't warp or get dented as easily. Plus the Black might have lower deflection than all other wood LD shafts? Not sure on that last one but it could be possible.

Old
  (#49)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

05-07-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Hallett View Post
The core of the Jacoby Black is 100% foam and not wood. Also, CF shafts don't warp or get dented as easily. Plus the Black might have lower deflection than all other wood LD shafts? Not sure on that last one but it could be possible.
Yes, I know water is wet.

The dent, warp properties are a given.

I misspoke about the one shaft being wrapped. But, not about the deflection properties of it. It's no lower than average LD wood shafts. Then again, you know water is wet.

For all the people that dont know water is wet:

If you are not concerned about dents, chances of warp, a little deflection etc..etc... but, FEEL, SOUND...etc are important, well.....DONT buy the revo. Buy a 15k, muecci, mezz etc... because they deflect extremely close to standard wood LD shafts.

On the other hand, if performance is all that matters and you don't care about feel, sound...etc..etc...etc... well, you would be better served to buy either a revo or pechauer.

Don't let your bark be bigger than your stroke.

If I had plenty of money, I would probably lose more often.

Old
  (#50)
Sean Hallett
AzB Silver Member
Sean Hallett is on a distinguished road

05-07-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know water is wet.

The dent, warp properties are a given.

I misspoke about the one shaft being wrapped. But, not about the deflection properties of it. It's no lower than average LD wood shafts. Then again, you know water is wet.

For all the people that dont know water is wet:

If you are not concerned about dents, chances of warp, a little deflection etc..etc... but, FEEL, SOUND...etc are important, well.....DONT buy the revo. Buy a 15k, muecci, mezz etc... because they deflect extremely close to standard wood LD shafts.

On the other hand, if performance is all that matters and you don't care about feel, sound...etc..etc...etc... well, you would be better served to buy either a revo or pechauer.
You're making me wet...

Old
  (#51)
mister__p
AzB Silver Member
mister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond repute

05-08-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnice37 View Post
See I didn't know and I asked on the Jacoby page with no response. The shaft felt a little gritty when I got it just like the Meucci so I used a Revo wipe on it. Just like the Meucci the wipe was completely black after without ever hitting a ball yet.

This is why some info should've been included.

You will get some discoloration in the wipe after wiping down the Cue Tec but to lesser degree and the amount is reducing with time. I use 75% IsoPropyl alcohol which is well documented as being safe to use on CF so there certainly shouldn't be any issue there.

If you wipe down the Jacoby with 3 wipes, are all the wipes black or only the first wipe. If all 3 wipes are black, then there is something wrong with the CF ie. it's dissolving. I would expect the second wipe to be completely clean and for you only to see after black wipe down after your next long pool session using the shaft

Old
  (#52)
mister__p
AzB Silver Member
mister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond repute

05-08-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:

One issue with CF no matter which brand you go for is you may get black deposit on your bridge. This will require some people to use glove during the early stages when the rub off is at it's greatest causing a lot of friction during feathering

IMHO, a good quality LD wood shaft treated with some waxes (carnauba,olive, bees) can't be beaten for comfort and consistency.

I have a 15k, love it and will never sell it but I do think CF is well over hyped.

Old
  (#53)
mel_smOg
AzB Silver Member
mel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond reputemel_smOg has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-20-2019, 04:42 AM

worst shaft I ever played with, below horrible

Playing cue: California Burl Kikel
Shaft: Mezz HP2
Tip: G2 Soft/ Moori Med
Break: Varney J/B
Jump: Alex Brick

Snooker cue- John Parris Classic Cue

Other cues:

John Williams Custom Scull cue with Ca$h Ferrule less shaft
JD