Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page The Finishing Conundrum
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-23-2019, 08:50 AM

I hear you.

I cannot count how many cue-makers I know who ended up dying of cancer.

Not to say that exposure to these products caused it, but it is not a risk I would like to take.

Proper tools protective clothing and ventilation are needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I have the hang of the epoxy finish and they come out good I just don't enjoy doing it. That's what it's about more than anything. I just don't like doing it.

And the epoxy isn't as hard of a finish as auto clear coat.

I'm afraid if I take too many deep breaths of the good stuff it will hurt my health irreparably

JC.

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#17)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 12:48 PM

Besides having too many other distractions at this point in life; one of the reasons I'll never go pro is the finishng issue. I do sell cues to people i know who know what they are getting (simple full splice sneaky style) but i only use shellac and wax for finish.

Almost certainly this would have been the finish on cues before WW2, and likely for some for years afterwards, until spray nitro lacquer became all conquering in the late 50's for most woodwork. Later acrylic lacquer as that was developed. Car finishes (clears, anyway) weren't really much better until the 90's because they yellowed and degraded. But the linear poly's and such will kill you without airsupplied hood/suit. Carbon filter is not adequate against isocyanates even if you think you can't smell them.

I spent my early years haphazardly spraying deadly chemicals including creosote, most of the auto finishes, and breathing asbestos dust & sometimes tailings from tool grinding carbide. For some reason i've been lucky 'til now and about 15 years ago started to reform. I won't mind dropping dead in my track out of the blue. But the idea of lingering for 20 years at an ever debilitated rate on oxygen and unable to do some of the things that really matter (like flying) would terrify me.

I sprayed part of a kitchen in the shop last week for a friend, 2 part finish, with carbon filter respirator, with an ad-hoc shop spray booth/exhaust fan set up. Have not done so for a few years and that process and this post reminded me, i really don't want to do it anymore. I had a rep in a small circle as a good finisher, but even then i hated it the whole time. At 66 yrs, i'm going to try to stick to making my own choices. I'll probably still spray MC & airplane parts for myself, but really want to be done the rest of it.

Good luck!

And hey, true French polish, from flakes, is an excellent finish that can be re-juvenated in a half hour or so when desired. Or washed off and re-done overnight. It just is not a "permanent" finish. Ethanol is the solvent and some people even drink that. . (Don't use Methanol, unnecessary and extremely toxic itself)

smt

Old
  (#18)
StrokeAnalyzer
AzB Silver Member
StrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 07:15 AM

You should look into super glue finish. I was also very frustrated with what finish to use. Tried several including solerez. Never used or tried auto clear...too much hassle, expense and danger for me. Im not a cue maker full time, just a cue making hack thats made a few cues. I read a couple of posts about CA finishing using BLO (boiled linseed oil). I tried the finish on a couple of sneaky petes and was amazed how easy it was to get an amazing finish and how great the finish looks. Do some research on this forum about technique and give it a try. greyghost posted some great info on CA finishing using BLO. You wont be disappointed! If you fail in your research, send my a message and I will send you my notes I gleaned from doing research on the forum.

Old
  (#19)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokeAnalyzer View Post
You should look into super glue finish. I was also very frustrated with what finish to use. Tried several including solerez. Never used or tried auto clear...too much hassle, expense and danger for me. Im not a cue maker full time, just a cue making hack thats made a few cues. I read a couple of posts about CA finishing using BLO (boiled linseed oil). I tried the finish on a couple of sneaky petes and was amazed how easy it was to get an amazing finish and how great the finish looks. Do some research on this forum about technique and give it a try. greyghost posted some great info on CA finishing using BLO. You wont be disappointed! If you fail in your research, send my a message and I will send you my notes I gleaned from doing research on the forum.
Cyano is pretty scary stuff to work with, so it's not like it's a harmless substance to work with. If your doing more than a few cues a year I would look at other options.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#20)
thoffen
AzB Silver Member
thoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bye View Post
Cyano is pretty scary stuff to work with, so it's not like it's a harmless substance to work with. If your doing more than a few cues a year I would look at other options.
Got a source? From what I have read it's not carcinogenic and not seriously toxic although can cause flu-like symptoms in some people. I realize that the fumes are quite unpleasant and may be aversive to use, but as far as being a significant health risk I haven't seen evidence of that.

Old
  (#21)
raistlinsdragon
AzB Silver Member
raistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond reputeraistlinsdragon has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
MSDS sheet list cyano as a irritant, compare this to other finishes MSDS sheets.

Old
  (#22)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoffen View Post
Got a source? From what I have read it's not carcinogenic and not seriously toxic although can cause flu-like symptoms in some people. I realize that the fumes are quite unpleasant and may be aversive to use, but as far as being a significant health risk I haven't seen evidence of that.
There are people who have died from CA vapors that have crystalized in the lungs. That does not sound like a pleasant way to go..

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Last edited by Kim Bye; 06-25-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Old
  (#23)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

06-25-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
There are people who have died from CA vapors that have crystalized in the lungs. That doed not sound like a pleasant way to go..
Varney being one of them.
Varney used CA finish for a very short time .
He had a little room to work in.
His lungs and blood were messed up.

If you use CA for finish. you better be wearing the correct respirator.
Goggles wouldn't hurt.

Old
  (#24)
StrokeAnalyzer
AzB Silver Member
StrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2019, 07:46 AM

I use a small fan that moves air/fumes across the length of the cue. Then an additional box fan placed in a door way that blows air outside. I never smell any CA fumes.

Old
  (#25)
PRED
AzB Silver Member
PRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

06-26-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokeAnalyzer View Post
I never smell any CA fumes.
What about those that are odorless? They are there.

IRATUS VULGUS

Old
  (#26)
GBCues
Damn, still .002 TIR!
GBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond reputeGBCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-26-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRED View Post
Ummm . . how does "odorless" mitigate any health issues?
Does "odorless" similarly affect adhesion? Why not?
Just sayin'

Player - GBCues 18oz BEM Front, Leather Wrap, and Black Walnut Buttcap Player. OB-2 Shaft
BreakStick - GBCues 17oz Marblewood Front, Leather Wrap, Mahogany Butt Cap (Black Walnut Shaft)

Cyano
Old
  (#27)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member
Mcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Cyano - 06-26-2019, 01:56 PM

If you use Cyano best way I found is to use two fans blowing away from me and running the vacuum system underneath the cue and exhausting to the outside. I also run my room air filter. Plus a mask most of the time.

Mario

The trouble with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Mcues3@aol.com

Old
  (#28)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member

06-26-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRED View Post
Odorless does not in any way indicate that it cant kill you!

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#29)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2019, 05:16 PM

Why don't all of you post pictures of your finish? C'mon in, the water's fine.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Old
  (#30)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Webb View Post
Why don't all of you post pictures of your finish? C'mon in, the water's fine.
I have a few dozen of my cues posted on my website and I finished all but a couple I had Scot do. They look good but the time it took me to do it was not fulfilling and it's not getting better. I know some of you are in it for a job and couldn't afford to have someone else finish your cues and stay afloat, but I'm a hobbyist and hobbies should be fun. I guess I'm just on a totally different wavelength than most here.

I have personally seen some cues from respected makers with crappy (IMO) finishes that I would not have tolerated. My problem is I'm a perfectionist and making my finish perfect is making me old fast.

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: