Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page my ongoing saga of achieving a decent 9 ball break
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-24-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay View Post
To break well in 9-ball you need (1) a tight rack (2) an accurate hit. A lot of people try to crush rack and end up hitting the 1-ball off-center so the cue ball retains most of its speed and goes flying around the table while the ball pack remains clustered up.

My advice is not to worry about the cue you're using to break and focus more on ensuring that there are no gaps in the rack (this can be difficult on worn cloth with cheap plastic racks), and that you're hitting the 1-ball right perfectly square. Ideally, the cue ball should stop dead when it hits the 1 unless it gets kissed by another ball.

You need to aim your break shot as carefully as you would aim any other shot.
I used to just smash the heck out of them and hope for the best and I changed about 6 months ago to focusing more on a solid hit and cue ball control. I have gotten to where its pretty common to leave the cue ball within a foot of the center of the table. Even so I still usually dry break and my opponent runs a bunch of balls ...if not the entire table....something comes soon and knocks the cue ball in a side pocket. I hate how many times I have dry broke and my opponent makes an easy 9 combo with the one ball.

Oh there are times when I have a good night breaking and i start thinking I finally got the break figured out only to really suck the next match. Not exaggerating one bit when I say I have a girl that is a 3 that breaks better than me. She always makes at least one ball on the break...always. And most times has a look at the next ball. Just wish i had that kind of consistency.

Old
  (#17)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRUNOUT View Post
I was waiting to see if you were going to get around to mentioning the rack. You did, but did not seem to recognize its importance. If you are not getting a consistently frozen rack, any changes you make to your break, equipment, whatever, are random shots in the dark. By a 100 miles the most important element of a 9 ball break is the rack. If you want to verify this for yourself, spend a session breaking with the magic rack. See how you like the results. Break from the side rail, hit the one ball square. Very hard not to make the corner ball. Same is true with a triangle rack if the balls are racked tightly.

Hope it helps,

KMRUNOUT

It just so happens I atarted a thread last week titled ...magic rack...phenomenal results..

My opponent and I were having unreal issues getting a tight rack on this particular table..,he more than I.. Every time he finally got a tight rack the one was not on the spot...close...but not on it.. A few times I said the heck with it and broke anyway....disastrous results lol..

When we got to the 6 th rack hw was still having trouble keeping the one on the spot and asked me if he could use the magic rack as he had one. Although I have never used a magic rack I said sure its got to be better than what we are going through.

6 th rack I break and run down to the 8 and have an easy shot and as soon as I pull the trigger it hits me...hey gotta break and run going on.. Dogged it lol. Left my opponent a cross corner bank which he misses and I run out. Next rack is a break and run for me.... No letting the lil guy whisper in my ear lol.

Next rack I broke and ran to my required points..table looked like another possible break and run..

Now mind you ...it took 12 innings to play 5 racks with him leading 24-22 in a 31 -46 race...me going to 46 of course . Cant get a run or get in line to make a run when you are constantly kicking sue to a lousy break or an opponents lucky leave.

Once we switched to the magic rack I scored 24 points in one inning to win 46-24.

Now I know I am not a great player by any stretch of the imagination but I have thought for a long time that I am a better shooter than a lot of players at my level bit my break always put me at a disadvantage against them.

Cant tell you how many times I dry break the first rack...they run the table or dang near. I scratch some time during the match and they again run a bunch of points .. I out shoot them and win by a few points of lose by a few points having given them a dozen or more points off my lousy breaks.

Some nights when I break good it winds up I am called a sandbagger .

Old
  (#18)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-25-2019, 06:46 AM

The type of break cue you use is probably the least important part of the break by far. Which is what everyone else is saying also hehe.

#1 would be a good rack to begin with, which can be really hard to do in many places due to wear on the balls, tables in poor shape or bad triangles.

#2 would be the actual break hit, aim and speed for the rack you get or type of rack you use (template rack hit is quite a bit different than standard rack).

#3 would be break cue, that is probably 5% of the results you get from the break.

With a template rack the break cue is pretty much a 0 factor since anyone that smashes a template rack as hard as they can is doing it wrong.

It was actually a bit funny but a few weeks ago I was in a tournament on some 7 footers rack your own 9 ball, I was getting a ball or two on the break and the guy I was playing said "you need to show me what you are doing". Nothing except taking an extra 10 seconds to get a tighter rack and aiming the hit. Once you know a few basics, there is no magic sauce to the break, or really any shot, outside of practice and actually knowing the basics.

My favorite break cues is a house cue with rear balance even though I own 4 break cues. Those are all on the cheaper side, two J&J break/jumps that I won in raffles, one I bought for my son when he was like 12, and a PureX I got used for about $150. All are really there for jump duty more than breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorider View Post
I bought a Viking when I decided ti join league and used it as a break cue also. Needless to say the too did not last long so I switched to a water buffalo . Then later on I decided to have a player and a breaker....just like all the other league players lol..

So I bought another cue and relegated the Viking to strictly breaking.. Then some one broke the viking ...not me lol and I bought an alex brick dymond wood jump/ break.

The brick is the only cue I regret getting rid of.. The breaking results were so so just like all my other break cues to date but I could jump like a pro using the full cue per apa rules. Funny story about the brick.. I was playing 9 ball vs another 5 at the time and there was a lil animosity between us and I was goin and determined not to lose to him. Well he day breaks and I are no possible way to get on the 1 ball. Bound and determined not to give him ball in hand I decided ti grab the brick and make a jump shot. Now mind you I had never attempted a jump shot in my life but I saw no alternative to make contact with the one. So my opponent is standing there watching me line up a jump shot...lo and behold ...not only do I make a successful jump I picket the 1 in the intended corner pocket. My opponent then yells ....hey you cant do that.! . I reply...if you are going to be a captain you better learn the rules. He had quit my team and became captain of his own team without giving me any notice thus the animosity. He takes off across the room looking for the league operator. He comes back in a few minutes but never said anything so I continue shooting. Later on the lo sees me and says. I did not know you could jump. I replied neither did I cause I had never attempted a jump shot before and we both started laughing. One night playing a 7/8 who also had a brick we got to talking about our cues. He said he changed to a g-10 ? I believe due to better cue ball control on the breaks. So I changed to one also...yea better cue ball control bit I could not jump with that tip to save my life. Changed back to a white diamond but still could not jump like I did with that original white diamond.

So I get rid of the brick..could kick myself every time I think about it. And got a bk 3. Mixed results with that so got rid of it and got a gullyasee sledge hammer which is currently sitting in the closet.

Got a cheap 25 oz sneaky Pete which I have been using for about a year until I drug that old cue out of the closet and used last night.

Going to continue using this cue for a while.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Last edited by hang-the-9; 06-25-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Old
  (#19)
Pete
AzB Silver Member
Pete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 06:54 AM

Get a BreakRak. Best money you will spend on your break imo...

Old
  (#20)
lorider
AzB Silver Member

06-25-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
The type of break cue you use is probably the least important part of the break by far. Which is what everyone else is saying also hehe.

#1 would be a good rack to begin with, which can be really hard to do in many places due to wear on the balls, tables in poor shape or bad triangles.

#2 would be the actual break hit, aim and speed for the rack you get or type of rack you use (template rack hit is quite a bit different than standard rack).

#3 would be break cue, that is probably 5% of the results you get from the break.

With a template rack the break cue is pretty much a 0 factor since anyone that smashes a template rack as hard as they can is doing it wrong.

It was actually a bit funny but a few weeks ago I was in a tournament on some 7 footers rack your own 9 ball, I was getting a ball or two on the break and the guy I was playing said "you need to show me what you are doing". Nothing except taking an extra 10 seconds to get a tighter rack and aiming the hit. Once you know a few basics, there is no magic sauce to the break, or really any shot, outside of practice and actually knowing the basics.

My favorite break cues is a house cue with rear balance even though I own 4 break cues. Those are all on the cheaper side, two J&J break/jumps that I won in raffles, one I bought for my son when he was like 12, and a PureX I got used for about $150. All are really there for jump duty more than breaking.
I mud have been doing something right to run 22 balls in one inning after switching to the magic rack.my own carelessness for missing one who to prevent running a 2 pack.

Old
  (#21)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I mud have been doing something right to run 22 balls in one inning after switching to the magic rack.my own carelessness for missing one who to prevent running a 2 pack.
Hm is math off here somewhere, 22 balls run in one inning would be more than 2 racks, 2 full racks 1-9 is 18 balls. You would have needed to run two racks and another 4 to get 22 in a row.

And yes magic rack break on a 7 footer would give you some nice layouts to run racks, just keep in mind breaks on larger and tougher tables would go differently and would need adjusting. The point people are making is not to worry about what type of cue you use to break. I don't know about the others, but even when I go to pretty major tournaments I don't worry about my break cue, past the fact it's a break/jump. If I was in a place that did not allow jumping I would not think about the break cue at all, would just use a house cue.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#22)
lorider
AzB Silver Member

06-25-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Hm is math off here somewhere, 22 balls run in one inning would be more than 2 racks, 2 full racks 1-9 is 18 balls. You would have needed to run two racks and another 4 to get 22 in a row.

And yes magic rack break on a 7 footer would give you some nice layouts to run racks, just keep in mind breaks on larger and tougher tables would go differently and would need adjusting. The point people are making is not to worry about what type of cue you use to break. I don't know about the others, but even when I go to pretty major tournaments I don't worry about my break cue, past the fact it's a break/jump. If I was in a place that did not allow jumping I would not think about the break cue at all, would just use a house cue.
Read my previous post to the one you quoted.. I did indeed break a 3rd rack and run to my required points.

Old
  (#23)
Runner
AzB Silver Member
Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 08:37 AM

Playing a 9 ball session, we just could NOT get a tight rack, balls
breaking bad. The room had those cheap plastic racks.. when you
went to cinch the balls in the rack, the whole triangle flexed.
The house had an old school oak wood triangle with the metal
glides.. first rack, super tight, boom.. wing ball goes, the rest
spread out great. So IMO a tight rack is #1, and hit the 1 ball
FULL.

Old
  (#24)
vinay
AzB Bronze Member
vinay is on a distinguished road

06-25-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpoole View Post
I have had my own struggles with the break and still do, but i think the 'aim' may be different with the break. Try set your aim and then make sure you are looking at the cue ball
and not the 1, when you strike. You want to hit the cueball dead centre. Have a relaxed grip like you would with any other shot. Practice practice practice.
I agree, you need a different technique than regular shots, but my point was you need as much care as you do with other shots. I see a lot of people just wind up and focus more speed than aim.

I see the argument for looking at the cue ball, but I still prefer to keep my eye on the 1-ball, once I've lined myself up and taken a couple of practice strokes because I want to see how the cue ball strikes the 1-ball and there just isn't enough time to shift focus after you strike the cue ball.

Old
  (#25)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Read my previous post to the one you quoted.. I did indeed break a 3rd rack and run to my required points.
You also should have mentioned that the 9-ball counts as two points. That said, you would have still needed a couple of balls in the third rack.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#26)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member

06-26-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I was not talking about points, which is only a league thing, but number of balls ran. League scores and handicaps are their own thing, what happens in league scores or matches not not often have much to do with the real world of just running out a rack to win.

Running "22 balls in one inning" should mean you ran 22 balls without leaving the table or have your opponent get to the table, which would be 2 break and runs followed by a break and making 4 more balls. An inning is one turn at the table correct? If you missed in the second rack, that would end your inning.

Last edited by hang-the-9; 06-26-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Old
  (#27)
lorider
AzB Silver Member

06-26-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I was not talking about points, which is only a league thing, but number of balls ran. League scores and handicaps are their own thing, what happens in league scores or matches not not often have much to do with the real world of just running out a rack to win.

Running "22 balls in one inning" should mean you ran 22 balls without leaving the table or have your opponent get to the table, which would be 2 break and runs followed by a break and making 4 more balls. An inning is one turn at the table correct? If you missed in the second rack, that would end your inning.
In apa an the end of an inning occurs when the second shooter leaves the table . In the match mentioned I was the first shooter so the inning is not over until after my opponent shoots and leaves the table.

When we switched to the magic rack I broke and ran 7 balls....missed the 8. My opponent shot and missed the 8. That is one inning. He never shot again the rest od the match and thus it counts as one inning. I hope that clears up the confusion. . Yea I know some times I could probably do a better job of describing the situation lol.

Edited to add I won the lag and was the first shooter. An inning is not marked until after the second shooter completes his turn at the table and . This continues throughout the match and thus innings are only marked after the second shooter completes his turn.

Last edited by lorider; 06-26-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Old
  (#28)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member

06-26-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
In apa an the end of an inning occurs when the second shooter leaves the table . In the match mentioned I was the first shooter so the inning is not over until after my opponent shoots and leaves the table.

When we switched to the magic rack I broke and ran 7 balls....missed the 8. My opponent shot and missed the 8. That is one inning. He never shot again the rest od the match and thus it counts as one inning. I hope that clears up the confusion. . Yea I know some times I could probably do a better job of describing the situation lol.

Edited to add I won the lag and was the first shooter. An inning is not marked until after the second shooter completes his turn at the table and . This continues throughout the match and thus innings are only marked after the second shooter completes his turn.
I still don't get that, you went first that is one inning. He got the table but missed, so when you shot again that is your second inning at the table and the third in the game. Not sure how that can be one inning in APA or not since you were at the table then your opponent was at the table then you were at the table. APA logic there confuses me. If someone shoots but misses that is not an "inning"?

If you were to count "innings" in real pool, not league scoring, to say you ran 22 balls balls in one inning would mean you ran two racks and then some without anyone else shooting. Points or whatever league stuff does is different from how normal pool games are. It's like that thing in Kingpin when he said he bowled some high score, but then when asked about it he said "we count the score in two tries" LOL

Old
  (#29)
lorider
AzB Silver Member

06-26-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I still don't get that, you went first that is one inning. He got the table but missed, so when you shot again that is your second inning at the table and the third in the game. Not sure how that can be one inning in APA or not since you were at the table then your opponent was at the table then you were at the table. APA logic there confuses me. If someone shoots but misses that is not an "inning"?

If you were to count "innings" in real pool, not league scoring, to say you ran 22 balls balls in one inning would mean you ran two racks and then some without anyone else shooting. Points or whatever league stuff does is different from how normal pool games are. It's like that thing in Kingpin when he said he bowled some high score, but then when asked about it he said "we count the score in two tries" LOL
I understand what you are saying. I guess for simplicities sake on scoresheets apa defines an inning over after the second shooter leaves the table instead of the first shooter.

Lets use this example....actually the 6th rack if this match. I broke and ran 7 balls. My opponent shot and missed . And I ran the table. By your view I shot twice and therefore 2 innings and its still my shot to begin the next inning. My opponent shot once. What do you mark for him ?

Lets say the next rack has the same exact scenario. I shoot ....my opponent shoots and then I close out the rack.

So in essence by your view I played 2 racks in 4 innings and my opponent had 2 innings. That does not work. You are also assuming I am starting an inning when I broke which is untrue. I won the previous rack and my inning is not over until my opponent shoots .

In reality I started the inning. My opponent shoots once . I finish the match and my opponent never gets back to the table so it went 1 inning. Or do you count the end of the match as the end of another inning ?

Old
  (#30)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I guess for simplicities sake on scoresheets apa defines an inning over after the second shooter leaves the table instead of the first shooter.

Lets use this example....actually the 6th rack if this match. I broke and ran 7 balls. My opponent shot and missed . And I ran the table. By your view I shot twice and therefore 2 innings and its still my shot to begin the next inning. My opponent shot once. What do you mark for him ?

Lets say the next rack has the same exact scenario. I shoot ....my opponent shoots and then I close out the rack.

So in essence by your view I played 2 racks in 4 innings and my opponent had 2 innings. That does not work. You are also assuming I am starting an inning when I broke which is untrue. I won the previous rack and my inning is not over until my opponent shoots .

In reality I started the inning. My opponent shoots once . I finish the match and my opponent never gets back to the table so it went 1 inning. Or do you count the end of the match as the end of another inning ?

As yet another example, liken it to a baseball game. It is not yet an inning until both teams have batted.

You're welcome.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: