Pool Rooms With Golf Games

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Played some golf on a 6 x 12 snooker table in the mid-1990's, but not since. Great game for sure, but I haven't even seen it played since the late 1990's.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen golf played at Chris’ in Chicago. Perhaps this is well known.

Thanks

I have been to Chris’ a couple times. The only golf game I saw was the onepocket.org group when we had our annual tournament there a couple years ago. I was there last October to play a long session with Ghost (Bruce).

Sorry to hear about Buddy passing. He revived the pool room when he took it over.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played some golf on a 6 x 12 snooker table in the mid-1990's, but not since. Great game for sure, but I haven't even seen it played since the late 1990's.

When I started playing at different rooms around SoCal in the 60’s, there were snooker tables everywhere. Most of the bowling alleys had pool rooms in them and many were 24 hours, so naturally there was after hours action. The golf ring games were usually day games.

The thought process and moving game for golf is similar to one pocket. Adapting to the bigger table, smaller pockets and balls can be tough if you are not familiar with snooker.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golf on a snooker table? Do you stand on the table and putt the ball around?

Hey Johnny we're the same age for at least a couple of weeks.

You used to be able to crawl on Big Bertha when it was at Verne Peterson’s Billiard Palace. They did not even have a long cue for it back then.

I was probably 40lbs lighter then too.:grin:

BrianaBrown13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New place in Chandler, not sure if they have any golf games, but they do have 4 6x12's. Arizona Snooker Academy. They have a facebook page and their website is azsnookeracademy.com

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When I started playing at different rooms around SoCal in the 60’s, there were snooker tables everywhere. Most of the bowling alleys had pool rooms in them and many were 24 hours, so naturally there was after hours action. The golf ring games were usually day games.

The thought process and moving game for golf is similar to one pocket. Adapting to the bigger table, smaller pockets and balls can be tough if you are not familiar with snooker.

Though we played on a snooker table, we used to use pool balls, making it very moves oriented.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John,

If you pass thru Fresno, FYI, Chris is playing some awesome one pocket right now, as if he didn’t before.
The carbon fiber shaft he uses bolstered his game more than I imagined & the same applies for Tommy.

Matt B.

CO Nineballer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golf in Denver

John,

Still a couple of golf games in Denver, but not like it used to be......

They have a table at Felt down in Englewood, and there is a fair amount of golf action but the table is ridiculously slow to play golf on which makes it tough. Mr Skinner (whom I know you have played with in the past) is around some for some golf action once in awhile. There is a newer place up in Arvada (North-Western suburb of Denver) called Mile High Billiards, that has a fast 6x12 and a pretty decent golf game with some solid players. There is always one pocket action at Felt, mostly cheap games but a lot of good guys to play.

Good luck and let us know when you are headed this way!!!

Happy Birthday!!

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John,

If you pass thru Fresno, FYI, Chris is playing some awesome one pocket right now, as if he didn’t before.
The carbon fiber shaft he uses bolstered his game more than I imagined & the same applies for Tommy.

Matt B.

His game did go up with the new shaft. He is very creative and with his new shot making confidence, he is hard to handle. He is very fair when it comes to matching up, so this old man can probably get a little weight in one pocket.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John,

Still a couple of golf games in Denver, but not like it used to be......

They have a table at Felt down in Englewood, and there is a fair amount of golf action but the table is ridiculously slow to play golf on which makes it tough. Mr Skinner (whom I know you have played with in the past) is around some for some golf action once in awhile. There is a newer place up in Arvada (North-Western suburb of Denver) called Mile High Billiards, that has a fast 6x12 and a pretty decent golf game with some solid players. There is always one pocket action at Felt, mostly cheap games but a lot of good guys to play.

Good luck and let us know when you are headed this way!!!

Happy Birthday!!

Thanks, Denver is certainly on the list. I will have to see my old friend Dave Gross and Bill Meacham wants me to pick him up in Colorado Springs to come along.

You will know it when we get there!:grin-square:

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity, did you ever play at the Pool Palace in San Bernardino? I got my start in 3C there in the 80s and they had a 6x12 with an almost perpetual golf game going. Long gone now, and it was about as dumpiest a dump can be, but still, good times.

I did play there a time or two. It was a quick trip down the 10 Fwy in those days. It was the slowest 6 x 12 I ever played on and they used regular pool balls when I was there because it also had big pockets for a snooker table.

A guy that used to steer me around a bit called me one day and said a local was looking for some golf action. In those days I was playing quite a bit on Big Bertha, the tight 6 x 12 in Bellflower and I was playing very well.

We kicked it off for $20/2 and I told my guy I was not going to stall and we might win a hundred or so. With the big pockets and heavier pool balls I was winning games very fast. He never raised the bet. He could play some but was outclassed and would not quit. He told me no one could beat him every single game and would keep playing. He finally won a game and quit. We won around $600.

There was also a 6 x 12 in a bowling alley in Riverside that I played at a time or two that had some action.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Earl's Place ....South of Flint, Mi.

6 x12 with some of the fastest cloth I've ever seen. Plays like glass.

Funny story... first time I lagged on this table I went back to the head string.:eek:

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Denver is certainly on the list. I will have to see my old friend Dave Gross and Bill Meacham wants me to pick him up in Colorado Springs to come along.

You will know it when we get there!:grin-square:

The Mile High Billiard golf games are almost every day around mid afternoon.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
6x12 for sale

I’ve git a real nice 6 x 12 antique Brunswick Regina. Great shape and pretty damn flat! 8 legs with tightened pockets (about 3-1/8, which is perfect for golf. Snooker can be played but it’s tough. Got couple sets of balls: 2-1/16, 2-1/8, 2-1/4 snooker set.long cues.

Was in private homes (2), for over 50 years.

It was set up at griff’s for 6 months or so. It is excess so talk to me. I’ve had 6 rooms with 6 x 12. This is the flatest of them all.

Mark Griffin

GoPlayPool

Search. Find. Play.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Golf tables

Hi John:
Ramin here.
Hope things are well my friend and a very Happy Birthday to you!
We have them listed on The GoPlayPool App. If you are not into apps, we have the website too! You can filter your search and find them under "Golf tables" under directory listings!
Hope to see you down in LA sometimes. You know Hard Times has two two of them.
I watched Al Romero and Efren run over 100 points in snooker on those tight pockets. BUT, average man needs the ball to sit in the jaws before they go in!
Happy Birthday and have a great day! :) :) :)
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1pocketpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Henderson,

Lots of golf being played at Classic Billiards in Portland, OR. 6 X 12 with reasonable pockets. A lot of cheap games and "giggle" games but you would have no problem finding a game for a little more money.

Probably 15 guys or so that play somewhat regularly. Ring games are 7 player max. Rules probably pretty close to what you've run into somewhere in the past.

Would be great to see you make it up here sometime.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi John:
Ramin here.
Hope things are well my friend and a very Happy Birthday to you!
We have them listed on The GoPlayPool App. If you are not into apps, we have the website too! You can filter your search and find them under "Golf tables" under directory listings!
Hope to see you down in LA sometimes. You know Hard Times has two two of them.
I watched Al Romero and Efren run over 100 points in snooker on those tight pockets. BUT, average man needs the ball to sit in the jaws before they go in!
Happy Birthday and have a great day! :) :) :)
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks Ramin, I see Al a few times a week since he moved his shop up here. He still hits em pretty good. We have played many times over the years. All we need is a snooker table.