Old
  (#16)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX View Post
Jay, what kind of tricks and tips are we talking about here? Like signing an "x" ontop of the pocket that your opponent will be shooting at?

I've got one even better than that.
Thanks for all the feedback gang. This book has been in the works a long time. I would like to be able to finish it by the end of year. Same with Bobby's book if I can pin him down for a couple of weeks to tell me the stories.

I'm on my way back home now. I had to leave my beautiful baby behind.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#17)
JimS
Grandpa & his grand boys.
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4050
Location: Jim Sward 311 E. Main, Suite 317 Galesburg, Il 61401

06-24-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I'm on my way back home now. I had to leave my beautiful baby behind.
Ouch! That hurts.

"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eye and calls that humbleness."
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

"No nonchalantin at the pool table!" Sailor

Live like somebody left the gate open!

Old
  (#18)
Perk
AzB Silver Member
Perk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 120

06-24-2009, 05:23 AM

The answer is: "Yes"

The type of book you describe sounds pretty damn good. Just to be safe though, maybe you should toss out a chapter of it here to get some feedback!

- I never go looking for a sucker, I look for champions and make a sucker out of them."Amarillo Slim

Old
  (#19)
SpiderWebComm
Banned
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

06-27-2009, 10:49 AM

I should get my Pool Wars any day now. I can't wait to read it and report back.

Old
  (#20)
gunzby
My light saber is LD
gunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 17375

06-27-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderWebComm View Post
I should get my Pool Wars any day now. I can't wait to read it and report back.
I finished it the other day......it's a great read and will be among the few books I read more than once.

Yes my custom cue also doubles as a light saber. You might say that it shoots lights out. You are now activated Agent 92395. Obtain the funds from Goldman Sachs and deposit into my Swiss account. This message will make you shit your pants in 5 seconds. Sev found it first.

Old
  (#21)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk View Post
The answer is: "Yes"

The type of book you describe sounds pretty damn good. Just to be safe though, maybe you should toss out a chapter of it here to get some feedback!
Sounds like a good idea. Stay tuned.

Old
  (#22)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

06-28-2009, 02:23 AM

Okay, you asked for it! The following is the first half of the Introduction that I wrote a few years ago. Let me know what you think.

INTRODUCTION

"Over forty years ago, on a warm Summer day, I wandered by a pool room in downtown Dayton, Ohio. It was called The Red, White and Blue Recreation. From a second story window the soft sound of pool balls clicking together drifted down to the street below. The sound was mesmerizing and I crept up the stairs to get a peek at what was going on inside.

At the top of the stairs I entered a large dimly lit room, filled with pool tables. Around several of the tables, men moved about, occasionally leaning over to take a shot. By the front window a crowd had gathered, nearly surrounding one of the tables. I moved closer to get a better look.

Finding no way to see over the people, I climbed onto the nearby window sill. No one seemed to notice the young boy perched precariously in the open window two floors above the street. All eyes were riveted on the action in front of them.

I remember the game as vividly as if it were yesterday. The man shooting would walk around the table looking at the balls, then lean over and shoot a ball into the pocket. The cue ball would roll around the table, finally coming to a stop. Soon I became aware that he was causing the cue ball to move to an area of the table, from where he could make his next shot. I was totally fascinated when I realized what he was doing.

He was shooting the balls in numerical order, and when he made the final ball, he began to gather the balls from the pockets and throw them down to the end of the table. As his opponent put the balls together in the rack, the man reached up with his cue and moved a bead on the wire above the table.

I was watching my first money game. Little did I know how many games I would watch (and play) over the next four decades. And how many great pool players I would see ply their art. What I did know, even then, was that I wanted to learn how to play this game, so that I could make the cue ball roll where I wanted it to go. Forty some years later, I'm still trying to figure out how to do that."

The above is the first half of the Introduction to my new book. I'll show you the other half after I get some feedback on this part.

Last edited by jay helfert; 06-28-2009 at 02:36 AM.

Old
  (#23)
Debbie R
A New Stance Technique
Debbie R has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie R has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie R has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie R has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie R has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie R has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie R has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie R has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie R has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie R has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie R has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2009, 05:37 AM

OK now I want to buy it

Old
  (#24)
SpiderWebComm
Banned
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

06-28-2009, 06:44 AM

What I like about your style is that you write as if you're telling a story. I can almost picture you standing in my living room with your arms motioning around as you tell my buddies and I the way things went down. I've never liked authors who don't write as they speak (if that makes sense).

I like your style Jay. You definitely paint a picture well.

Dave

Old
  (#25)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member

Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
06-28-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Okay, you asked for it! The following is the first half of the Introduction that I wrote a few years ago. Let me know what you think.

INTRODUCTION

"Over forty years ago, on a warm Summer day, I wandered by a pool room in downtown Dayton, Ohio. It was called The Red, White and Blue Recreation. From a second story window the soft sound of pool balls clicking together drifted down to the street below. The sound was mesmerizing and I crept up the stairs to get a peek at what was going on inside.

At the top of the stairs I entered a large dimly lit room, filled with pool tables. Around several of the tables, men moved about, occasionally leaning over to take a shot. By the front window a crowd had gathered, nearly surrounding one of the tables. I moved closer to get a better look.

Finding no way to see over the people, I climbed onto the nearby window sill. No one seemed to notice the young boy perched precariously in the open window two floors above the street. All eyes were riveted on the action in front of them.

I remember the game as vividly as if it were yesterday. The man shooting would walk around the table looking at the balls, then lean over and shoot a ball into the pocket. The cue ball would roll around the table, finally coming to a stop. Soon I became aware that he was causing the cue ball to move to an area of the table, from where he could make his next shot. I was totally fascinated when I realized what he was doing.

He was shooting the balls in numerical order, and when he made the final ball, he began to gather the balls from the pockets and throw them down to the end of the table. As his opponent put the balls together in the rack, the man reached up with his cue and moved a bead on the wire above the table.

I was watching my first money game. Little did I know how many games I would watch (and play) over the next four decades. And how many great pool players I would see ply their art. What I did know, even then, was that I wanted to learn how to play this game, so that I could make the cue ball roll where I wanted it to go. Forty some years later, I'm still trying to figure out how to do that."

The above is the first half of the Introduction to my new book. I'll show you the other half after I get some feedback on this part.

Beautiful Jay- Only one sentence I m not crazy about- "The sound was mesmerizing and I crept up the stairs to get a peek at what was going on"
I Like something like . The mesmerizing sound of the balls drew me upstairs. I had to get a peek at what was going on"

Anyway beside that which im probably wrong on, it looks like a fabulous book and consider my order in.

Thanks Jay

Old
  (#26)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

06-28-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
Beautiful Jay- Only one sentence I m not crazy about- "The sound was mesmerizing and I crept up the stairs to get a peek at what was going on"
I Like something like . The mesmerizing sound of the balls drew me upstairs. I had to get a peek at what was going on"

Anyway beside that which im probably wrong on, it looks like a fabulous book and consider my order in.

Thanks Jay
Consider yourself my new editor!

Old
  (#27)
mdavis228
AzB Gold Member
mdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5300

06-28-2009, 09:07 AM

I'm down for whatever book you write, Jay. Loved "Pool Wars". Especially like the idea you have of a book full of battle tested instructions, tips, tricks.
Give momma & the baby kisses... and get busy

Chris Davis

If you're gonna sell cues, buy a scale and calipers.

Main players: 1930's Gilbert Titlist, Custom Olneys. Piloted joints for me.
Play shafts: Cash Cues ferrule-less and OB Classic
Break: X Breaker & Gilbert JB - both w/ OB Break shafts
Jump: Lomax

Old
  (#28)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

06-28-2009, 09:43 AM

And here's the second part of the Introduction, where I get into what the books is about.

"What I have learned in the interim is that we are all students of the game, constantly learning something new to make us better players. What I'm about to share with you is what I've learned in forty years as an observer, player, coach, mentor and confidant to pool players.

Before I tell what this book is about, I will tell you what it is not about. This is not the typical instruction manual that tells you how to hold a cue, place your feet and stroke the ball. There are already many good books out there that do this. I may slip in some instructional material here and there, but I begin with the premise that you already know how to play pool.

My purpose is to help you refine your game and show you some powerful ways to be a better player. It's my feeling that there is no one right way to hold a cue or stroke the balls. There are as many different styles as there are pool players. I take exception with those who propose to know the correct way to stand, stroke and play the game.

Pool players come in all shapes and sizes, and your game must be molded to fit you. This starts with the selection of your cue stick. An excellent cue for me may not be a good cue for you, because of our different physical stature. I'm relatively short (5'7"), so a 57" cue feels about right for me. If you're a six footer, you'll probably be more comfortable with a 58" cue. My hands are small, so I like a narrow grip. If you have large hands, a thicker butt may suit you better. Same goes for weight, taper and so on. The "right" cue is the one that feels right for you, not one that is identical to what some top player uses.

This book is also not some airy-fairy, rah-rah pep talk designed to motivate you to play better. You will have to motivate yourself, because without self motivation anything I say won't make any difference. What I will do is share with you some insights on how I've been able to motivate myself. The rest is up to you.

What this book is about is truths of the game that I've learned over the years. Tried and true techniques, methods and actions that will work for you, just as they have for countless others. All you need to do is read and heed. I promise you that you will come out the back of this book a little more knowledgeable about pool than you were going in."

Last edited by jay helfert; 06-28-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Old
  (#29)
gunzby
My light saber is LD
gunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 17375

06-28-2009, 10:33 AM

Sounds great

Yes my custom cue also doubles as a light saber. You might say that it shoots lights out. You are now activated Agent 92395. Obtain the funds from Goldman Sachs and deposit into my Swiss account. This message will make you shit your pants in 5 seconds. Sev found it first.

Old
  (#30)
Perk
AzB Silver Member
Perk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond reputePerk has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 120

06-29-2009, 04:55 AM

I got the first book and would def order this next one!

- I never go looking for a sucker, I look for champions and make a sucker out of them."Amarillo Slim

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: