Reload this Page Another Difficult Spread/Shot
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Another Difficult Spread/Shot
Old
  (#1)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Another Difficult Spread/Shot - 07-03-2006, 07:25 AM

i had this layout yesterday following the break. i managed to get a ball down, and had an excellent shot on the '1' Ball to start with. however, the '2' Ball was laying kinda funny.

i elected to go two rails up table, and try and squeeze into position for the '2' Ball at Point A. instead i guess i had a little too much right english, and i ended up snookered at Point B.

would you posters have tried this? i thought about the '2-5' combination, but i avoid them at all costs.

DCP

CueTable Help

Old
  (#2)
Double-Dave
Developing cue-addict
Double-Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDouble-Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDouble-Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDouble-Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDouble-Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDouble-Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDouble-Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDouble-Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDouble-Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDouble-Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDouble-Dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5795

07-03-2006, 07:31 AM

I´d draw the cueball with maybe a touch of left and play safe on the two probably. If I were to land perfect on the combo I might go for it, but a lot can go wrong with the 7 and 8 where they are.

Old
  (#3)
Hal
Beer Player
Hal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond reputeHal has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1900

07-03-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCue'sProtege
Would you posters have tried this?
DCP
No........

Old
  (#4)
seiyaryu55
D ranked ball banger =P
seiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond reputeseiyaryu55 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to seiyaryu55  
07-03-2006, 07:39 AM

Did you use just right english? Top right would have cut down the angle that the cue ball comes off the rail. (EDIT: nevermind i see the cue ball on the table. I tried it out and i managed to get down to the 2 cept i hit it a little too hard)

I agree with double dave on this one though. With the balls near each other like that i would have gone for a safe. I woudlnt be able to control the speed of the cue ball that well and if you landed on the wrong side of the 2 it would have been hard to get to the 4

Name: Stan
Playing Cue: RJH Sneaky Pete
Hours a week: 2-3

Old
  (#5)
Williebetmore
Member, .25% Club
Williebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 583

07-03-2006, 07:56 AM

Quote:

would you posters have tried this?
DCP,
I definitely would have tried it. You have a fairly decent sized window to get on the 2. It looks like "Runout City" if you get on the 2.

Once again I'll mention that Joe Tuckers "Guaranteed Improvement Drills" will have you getting shape on the 2 a high percentage of the time (if your mechanics are sound).

Old
  (#6)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
07-03-2006, 07:59 AM

For sure~!

Old
  (#7)
StevenPWaldon
AzB Silver Member
StevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2937

07-03-2006, 08:00 AM

Glad to see I'm not the only one who would have attempted it.

DCP for once I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebetmore
DCP,
I definitely would have tried it. You have a fairly decent sized window to get on the 2. It looks like "Runout City" if you get on the 2.

Once again I'll mention that Joe Tuckers "Guaranteed Improvement Drills" will have you getting shape on the 2 a high percentage of the time (if your mechanics are sound).

Old
  (#8)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2006, 08:14 AM

my thought process told me that usually in every rack there is one pretty difficult shot that is the key to running out - and often times its early in the sequence. as williebetmore said, if position on the '2' is gained then the rest should be alot easier.

so i went for it, put just a little too much english on it, and snookered myself. lesson learned.

DCP

Old
  (#9)
Williebetmore
Member, .25% Club
Williebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
as williebetmore said, if position on the '2' is gained then the rest should be alot easier.

so i went for it, put just a little too much english on it, and snookered myself. lesson learned.

DCP
DCP,
Well, not to sour things, but I wouldn't consider this a particularly difficult shot or runout. Position on the 2 should only be slightly to mildly challenging. I would expect a good player to make this position well above 80% of the time. Good luck.

Old
  (#10)
Andrew Manning
Aspiring know-it-all
Andrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebetmore
DCP,
Well, not to sour things, but I wouldn't consider this a particularly difficult shot or runout. Position on the 2 should only be slightly to mildly challenging. I would expect a good player to make this position well above 80% of the time. Good luck.
This is where I think for those of us who are not as good as we'd hope to be, effective 9-ball is about knowing your game, and knowing when to play safe. At my skill level, I'd draw the CB out to center-table, and bank the 2 two rails to the other end of the table, following the CB behind the 5 and 7 (CB at position A, 2 at position B):

CueTable Help

Both shots are exceedingly high-percentage for me, as opposed to position on the two, which would be an iffy proposition.

But if you know your game, and know you can get position on the 2, running out is always better than playing safe, if you're going to make it.

-Andrew

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

If you knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it. -Danny Diliberto

Old
  (#11)
GADawg
AzB Silver Member
GADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Manning
This is where I think for those of us who are not as good as we'd hope to be, effective 9-ball is about knowing your game, and knowing when to play safe. At my skill level, I'd draw the CB out to center-table, and bank the 2 two rails to the other end of the table, following the CB behind the 5 and 7 (CB at position A, 2 at position B):

CueTable Help

Both shots are exceedingly high-percentage for me, as opposed to position on the two, which would be an iffy proposition.

But if you know your game, and know you can get position on the 2, running out is always better than playing safe, if you're going to make it.

-Andrew
Me too!! i'd make the one a play safe. To be past the seven and on th "right" side of the 2 without behind the 5 doesn't leave a lot of room for error.

Old
  (#12)
GADawg
AzB Silver Member
GADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond reputeGADawg has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:

CueTable Help

-Andrew
Me too!! i'd make the one a play safe. To be past the seven and be on the "right" side of the 2 to get easy position on the 4,without behind the 5 doesn't leave a lot of room for error.

Old
  (#13)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
07-03-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADawg
Me too!! i'd make the one a play safe. To be past the seven and on th "right" side of the 2 without behind the 5 doesn't leave a lot of room for error.
As far as the "right" side of the 2, there doesn't need to be one. even straight in is OK. Looks to me like about a 24" window to land in. That is pretty good, almost 25% of total table length...
START(
%BM2S1%DL0]8%EJ2V6%FM4]0%GQ7U5%LO0^4%NM5^3%OT8_0%Pg9V9%QY2Z4
%RK3Z2%UX5[1%VL9[1%WM6Z9%XY2Z5
)END

Old
  (#14)
Williebetmore
Member, .25% Club

07-03-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
....effective 9-ball is about knowing your game, and knowing when to play safe. .

-Andrew
Tap, tap, tap.

You are sooo right. It's all about realistic assessment of your own game, and realistic estimations of your success rate on any given shot or sequence.

Just to clarify, I was NOT recommending the "short zone" position on the 2-ball for everyone - just responding to DCP's question about what "I" would do. As BB points out, if you keep whitey near the rail, you have an almost 2 foot wide position zone, we should all strive to be able to hit a target of that size.

These short-side positions, however, do come up extremely often in straight pool. The serious student of the game would do well to develop proficiency in direction and speed control with these shots.

Old
  (#15)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member

07-03-2006, 09:30 AM

just to clarify - the position zone was actually probably around 12" or so. sorry if my ball placement on the WEI table is misleading. perhaps that might make some change their minds if they feel it was a fairly easy shot. it didnt require pinpoint accuracy on the dime, but it still required some pretty good cue ball control.

and i failed to display good cue ball control on that shot.

DCP

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: