Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Break Stats -- Derby City 10-Foot 10-Ball, Jan. 2015
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids
Colin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-28-2015, 07:52 PM

SVB and Orcollo are Break & Running at almost 1 in 3, the rest of the field are closer to 1 in 7.

So 10 ball is not much of a breaking game unless it's a monster break and runner.

Quote:
"The first essential step in the direction of learning any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - Lord Kelvin

Old
  (#17)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 09:58 PM

Thanks for all the stats. Not really any surprises for me here. Shane clearly looked like the dominant player from my viewpoint. He was the only player who seemed to have a good idea what he wanted to accomplish on the break, and most importantly, he did it most of the time. I won't go into details, but he was clearly playing the second two balls in their respective side pockets, and if the stats can be analyzed, I'm certain many of his balls made on the break were there. He had both corner balls going four rails toward pockets as well, and the one ball going up table toward a corner pocket.

Something that does not show up in the stats is Shane's ability to shoot very long (9'+) shots accurately and play position afterwards. Most of these players (not Dennis) had trouble with extremely long shots that were out in the open, missing over half the time. Some guys got smart and started playing safes instead.

It's a whole different animal playing on the Bigfoot table, and for the most part it's not a breaking war, like Nine and Ten Ball has become on 9' tables. There is more play to the game, which I like, and the run-outs require more skill most of the time. This table separates the men from the boys, so to speak. These were all good players, but one clearly stood out this week. I thought Dennis was the second best player, but Ignacio has had his number lately, and that can create a psychological problem. Jeff always plays well against Dennis, probably because he would like to be 'The Man' in the Philippines.

I resisted changing from the 9' to the 10' table when Greg first presented me with this idea, but after a few of these events I will have to say he was right on this one. All in all it's just a better test of overall pool skills.

One last thing. I'm sure many people will now claim that Shane is unbeatable on this table, but I would refute that statement. My opinion is that Ko Pin Yi would probably be his equal and that there are several other Chinese players who could adapt well to these conditions. Maybe Greg and I will be successful in bring a few of them here next year. We keep trying!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 01-29-2015 at 05:24 AM.

Old
  (#18)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Thanks for all the stats. Not really any surprises for me here. Shane clearly looked like the dominant player from my viewpoint. He was the only player who seemed to have a good idea what he wanted to accomplish on the break, and most importantly, he did it most of the time. I won't go into details, but he was clearly playing the second two balls in their respective side pockets, and if the stats can be analyzed, I'm certain many of his balls made on the break were there. He had both corner balls going three rails toward pockets as well, and the one ball going up table toward a corner pocket.

Something that does not show up in the stats is Shane's ability to shoot very long (9'+) shots accurately and play position afterwards. Most of these players (not Dennis) had trouble with extremely long shots that were out in the open, missing over half the time. Some guys got smart and started playing safes instead.

It's a whole different animal playing on the Bigfoot table, and for the most part it's not a breaking war, like Nine and Ten Ball has become on 9' tables. There is more play to the game, which I like, and the run-outs require more skill most of the time. This table separates the men from the boys, so to speak. These were all good players, but one clearly stood out this week. I thought Dennis was the second best player, but Ignacio has had his number lately, and that can create a psychological problem. Jeff always plays well against Dennis, probably because he would like to be 'The Man' in the Philippines.

I resisted changing from the 9' to the 10' table when Greg first presented me with this idea, but after a few of these events I will have to say he was right on this one. All in all it's just a better test of overall pool skills.

One last thing. I'm sure many people will now claim that Shane is unbeatable on this table, but I would refute that statement. My opinion is that Ko Pin Yi would probably be his equal and that there are several other Chinese players who could adapt well to these conditions. Maybe Greg and I will be successful in bring a few of them here next year. We keep trying!
Thanks for your comments, Jay. And thank you (and Greg) for doing this event on the 10-footer; it certainly allows us to see something a bit different from the norm and, as you say, a better overall test.

As to Shane, his last two matches certainly were terrific. But I agree with you that he is far from unbeatable. In his match with Klatt on Sunday, he looked highly vulnerable. It seems that sometimes that extra little movement in his backswing throws him off and he misses quite a few shots. One of my greatest takeaway's from the event is how Shane went from that really mediocre performance on Sunday to the practice table to work out the kinks later on Sunday and early Monday, and then performed at that amazing level he did on Monday afternoon and evening. Seeing that was a real treat.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: