Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue and shaft reviews
Reload this Page Jacoby BlaCk Carbon Fiber Shaft
Reply
Page 2 of 4 12 34
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
juvecoop
AzB Bronze Member
juvecoop is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Nov 2016
   
03-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physiqz View Post
I never liked the revo, played with the cuetech about 2 weeks and it just felt weird, probably should change the tip on it. Sold revo that came with the cue I won, and bought a Jacoby black with the money. Instantly fell in love with the shaft from the first hit. The feel. Feedback, tendencies, everything about it just felt right.
Did you buy a uniloc or radial?
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#17)
S.Vaskovskyi
AzB Silver Member
S.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 463
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kiev
   
03-24-2019, 02:51 PM

I've just seen on FB some discussions about X-ray pictures of Revo, Cynergy and Jacoby Black. From what I see and having my opinion about the construction...well to be short me personally liking first two more. At least it is interesting to look at such pictures to make some conclusions.
Attached Images
 


Playing cue: 62" full spliced player I''ve built for myself
Break cue: made by myself

"Live and learn...and have fun"

Last edited by S.Vaskovskyi; 03-24-2019 at 03:01 PM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
juvecoop
AzB Bronze Member
juvecoop is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Nov 2016
   
03-24-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physiqz View Post
I never liked the revo, played with the cuetech about 2 weeks and it just felt weird, probably should change the tip on it. Sold revo that came with the cue I won, and bought a Jacoby black with the money. Instantly fell in love with the shaft from the first hit. The feel. Feedback, tendencies, everything about it just felt right.
What joint is the Jacoby you have?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
Edrick
AzB Bronze Member
Edrick is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Michigan
   
03-29-2019, 11:10 AM

Well, I guess we now know why the Jacoby feels the most like wood.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
jshaw
AzB Bronze Member
jshaw has a reputation beyond reputejshaw has a reputation beyond reputejshaw has a reputation beyond reputejshaw has a reputation beyond reputejshaw has a reputation beyond reputejshaw has a reputation beyond reputejshaw has a reputation beyond reputejshaw has a reputation beyond reputejshaw has a reputation beyond reputejshaw has a reputation beyond reputejshaw has a reputation beyond repute
 
jshaw's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Iowa
   
03-30-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrick View Post
Well, I guess we now know why the Jacoby feels the most like wood.
I can't imagine a wood core would be lower deflection than the foam core of Revo or Cuetec.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,373
vCash: 500
iTrader: 13 / 93%
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Murica
   
Question 03-30-2019, 07:48 AM

I you're going to combine wood and carbon, what's the difference in CF-over-wood(Jacoby) and wood-over-CF(Mezz)? The Mezz with a CF core play great and still feel/sound like wood. Just curious here.
  
Reply With Quote
I traded my Revo 12.4 for a 2nd Mezz ProEx
Old
  (#22)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander
MalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond repute
 
MalibuMike's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles
  Send a message via MSN to MalibuMike  
I traded my Revo 12.4 for a 2nd Mezz ProEx - 04-05-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaw View Post
I can't imagine a wood core would be lower deflection than the foam core of Revo or Cuetec.
I agree, played with the Revo for a few months then went back to my Mezz ExPro Carbon Fiber cored shaft, and it felt and played much better, maybe cause its 30"?? Or the wood is awesome? I got the same action with the ExPro! I may try the Mezz Ignite.... I've tried every shaft out there, why stop now?
Attached Images
    


All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy



Shooter: Schon R-14 light Blue w/Schon Stitched 30" Mezz EXPROShaft with PreciSion Tips from Dennis Searing (Medium)
Spare Cue: Schon LTD 8?? one of one, Bocote forearm, Tulip wood in points/Jacoby Hybrid Shaft 31" with PreciSion (Med.) Tip
: 80's Red R14 New Stacked Leather Wrap with early 80's rare Runde 30" Shaft Micarta Ferrule 13mm (on Top)

  
Reply With Quote
The Mezz ExPro has a Carbon Fiber Core!
Old
  (#23)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander
MalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond repute
 
MalibuMike's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles
  Send a message via MSN to MalibuMike  
The Mezz ExPro has a Carbon Fiber Core! - 04-12-2019, 12:48 PM

To who can't ever imagine a wood core cue playing better then Carbon Fiber,
The Mezz EXPro Has a Carbon Fiber center.
All this talk of Carbon Fiber being the end all, I'm an aerospace engineer and I will tell you that Pool Cues & Carbon Fiber are still in their infancy...
Wait and see what can be done.
This is just like the stage when the 1st Muecci Red Dot or 314 came out!
Attached Images
   


All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy



Shooter: Schon R-14 light Blue w/Schon Stitched 30" Mezz EXPROShaft with PreciSion Tips from Dennis Searing (Medium)
Spare Cue: Schon LTD 8?? one of one, Bocote forearm, Tulip wood in points/Jacoby Hybrid Shaft 31" with PreciSion (Med.) Tip
: 80's Red R14 New Stacked Leather Wrap with early 80's rare Runde 30" Shaft Micarta Ferrule 13mm (on Top)

  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
mister__p
AzB Silver Member
mister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2014
   
04-27-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrick View Post
Received mine today. Very disappointed in the quality control. I may just have a lemon, but I would expect more from a $480 shaft. I have decided to order the Mezz Ignite instead.

Here you can see a visible seam that runs the length of the shaft. I do not see this on my Revo.

Here you can see the finish is missing and you can see the underlying CF layer honeycomb pattern.
The Cynergy also has a seam but I don't think it poses any structural issues - just indicates where the CF wrap meets. So long as it's straight and tight, it's fine

The surface finish is completely unacceptable - really poor QC. Apparently, Jacoby are trying to rush the shaft out the door like Predator tried with the 12.4 which isn't a good thing as these issues will get reported by consumers and will put potential buyers off.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
Physiqz
AzB Silver Member
Physiqz has a reputation beyond reputePhysiqz has a reputation beyond reputePhysiqz has a reputation beyond reputePhysiqz has a reputation beyond reputePhysiqz has a reputation beyond reputePhysiqz has a reputation beyond reputePhysiqz has a reputation beyond reputePhysiqz has a reputation beyond reputePhysiqz has a reputation beyond reputePhysiqz has a reputation beyond reputePhysiqz has a reputation beyond repute
 
Physiqz's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Columbia, SC
   
05-01-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvecoop View Post
What joint is the Jacoby you have?
Radial.

Also the convo on facebook was with me about the xray lol.
Its not CF over wood. Thats just the foam.
From first glance it looked like wood from the xray so they broke it apart and it was the foam they used.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#26)
Sean Hallett
AzB Silver Member
Sean Hallett is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2018
   
05-01-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physiqz View Post
Radial.

Also the convo on facebook was with me about the xray lol.
Its not CF over wood. Thats just the foam.
From first glance it looked like wood from the xray so they broke it apart and it was the foam they used.
Where is this convo on facebook? Mine should be arriving soon and would love to read any info on the shaft
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#27)
beermug
AzB Bronze Member
beermug is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Dec 2017
   
05-01-2019, 10:57 PM

I got a Black shaft about a month ago. I still have mixed feelings about it. I was mainly playing on a bar box because of my league and friends when I got the shaft and it simply felt fantastic, I had so much control over the cue ball with no effort. I automatically thought I am not going back to my solid maple shaft(Bob Danielson).

But couple of days ago, after getting some competition, I switched back to 9 footers. I have never been this inaccurate in my life. I basically humiliated myself with my shots. Especially long shots and cuts.

So I just wanted to try my old reliable solid maple shaft today to see if there is a difference, they are almost the same diameter at the tip(12.3 and 12.4), the only difference is the maple shaft is 30 inch, both on a Jacoby butt with radial pin(.847).

So after shooting for a bit, there was a huge difference, I was way more accurate with my regular shaft, especially on my long shots.

Maybe I just lost my stroke playing on bar boxes for too long and being depressed at the moment is not really helping. Also Black shaft is definitely less forgiving. So I will just keep on shooting and practicing but I am really confused at the moment.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#28)
Sean Hallett
AzB Silver Member
Sean Hallett is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2018
   
05-02-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermug View Post
I got a Black shaft about a month ago. I still have mixed feelings about it. I was mainly playing on a bar box because of my league and friends when I got the shaft and it simply felt fantastic, I had so much control over the cue ball with no effort. I automatically thought I am not going back to my solid maple shaft(Bob Danielson).

But couple of days ago, after getting some competition, I switched back to 9 footers. I have never been this inaccurate in my life. I basically humiliated myself with my shots. Especially long shots and cuts.

So I just wanted to try my old reliable solid maple shaft today to see if there is a difference, they are almost the same diameter at the tip(12.3 and 12.4), the only difference is the maple shaft is 30 inch, both on a Jacoby butt with radial pin(.847).

So after shooting for a bit, there was a huge difference, I was way more accurate with my regular shaft, especially on my long shots.

Maybe I just lost my stroke playing on bar boxes for too long and being depressed at the moment is not really helping. Also Black shaft is definitely less forgiving. So I will just keep on shooting and practicing but I am really confused at the moment.
Maybe the less deflection on longer shots messed with your aiming? As you are only used to short and medium range shots with the black.
I've ordered a 30" Jacoby Black and should be with me within a week. I'm curious as to how the low deflection compares to other ld shafts that you have used. More or less than the revo, cuetec cynergy, predator Z3, Mezz hybrid 2, ob-2+ or Jacoby ultra pro?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#29)
beermug
AzB Bronze Member
beermug is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Dec 2017
   
05-02-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Hallett View Post
Maybe the less deflection on longer shots messed with your aiming? As you are only used to short and medium range shots with the black.
I've ordered a 30" Jacoby Black and should be with me within a week. I'm curious as to how the low deflection compares to other ld shafts that you have used. More or less than the revo, cuetec cynergy, predator Z3, Mezz hybrid 2, ob-2+ or Jacoby ultra pro?
I have the regular Jacoby Edge Hybrid that came with my cue, I have never did a deflection test or anything I usually just go for the feeling. I am pretty sure they are about the same in the means of deflection but Black felt way more pure. Like I am able to adjust my speed way better because of the feedback I get. Also I think it deflects way more than Revo but I would take the Black any day over Revo because of the feedback and taper. The only thing I really hate is the tip, it's simply terrible, gonna change it as soon as possible.

I got a question for you if you don't mind, I am thinking about ordering a 30 inch Black, how long did yours take and where did you order it from?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#30)
Sean Hallett
AzB Silver Member
Sean Hallett is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2018
   
05-02-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermug View Post
I have the regular Jacoby Edge Hybrid that came with my cue, I have never did a deflection test or anything I usually just go for the feeling. I am pretty sure they are about the same in the means of deflection but Black felt way more pure. Like I am able to adjust my speed way better because of the feedback I get. Also I think it deflects way more than Revo but I would take the Black any day over Revo because of the feedback and taper. The only thing I really hate is the tip, it's simply terrible, gonna change it as soon as possible.

I got a question for you if you don't mind, I am thinking about ordering a 30 inch Black, how long did yours take and where did you order it from?
Way more then a revo? That's disappointing :/ Being level with the Revo was me being optimistic, slightly less is more realistic but I never thought it would be alot less?
I'm from the UK and there is only 1 dealer. Luckily he went to the US open to play and pick up stock so I got my order in just in time.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.