Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Dangers of having a non handicapped league with matches to 100?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Dangers of having a non handicapped league with matches to 100?
Old
  (#1)
Positively Ralf
AzB Silver Member
Positively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Dangers of having a non handicapped league with matches to 100? - 03-08-2019, 07:31 PM

Was talking with a fellow 14.1 league member and he suggested a league where all matches are to 100 with top 8 playoffs.

I've never ran a league but what problems would arise if you were to do something like that? I'm assuming the biggest problem would be the higher level player steamrolling everyone, even though that happens already in 9 ball leagues.

Old
  (#2)
slach
AzB Silver Member
slach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond repute

03-09-2019, 08:41 AM

I play in a non-handicapped 14.1 league, weekly match to 125, round robin, about 30 players, top 6 or so finishers in the money. Though lesser players get steamrolled (sometimes very badly) it's still a very popular league. As a lesser player I like it as an opportunity to learn first hand from the better guys and most everyone keeps coming back session to session. I think it's improved my game a lot, more then I would from a handicapped league. Some matches are mostly sitting and racking and that really drives home the fact that you need to stay on the table once you get there. You don't always get to hit a lot of balls, but there's always practice for that.

I think the biggest problem the organizers have is getting all the matches played by the end of the session for the money contenders. Some players out of the money aren't as motivated to get in all their matches other then the threat of being dis-invited to the next session.

Last edited by slach; 03-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Old
  (#3)
john coloccia
AzB Silver Member
john coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond repute

03-09-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slach View Post
I think the biggest problem the organizers have is getting all the matches played by the end of the session for the money contenders. Some players out of the money aren't as motivated to get in all their matches other then the threat of being dis-invited to the next session.
So they get dis-invited. Good riddance to bad rubbish,

Old
  (#4)
Wally in Cincy
AzB Silver Member
Wally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

03-13-2019, 01:43 PM

I would have to second what Slach said. We play to 100 once a week. Sometimes I might only get one win in 8 matches. But it is fun , good practice and always a learning experience. We donít play on a particular night. We call the other players to schedule a match. The biggest problem is getting to people to get their matches in.

Wally in Cincy

Old
  (#5)
stevekur1
The "COMMISH"
stevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4700

03-13-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slach View Post
I play in a non-handicapped 14.1 league, weekly match to 125, round robin, about 30 players, top 6 or so finishers in the money. Though lesser players get steamrolled (sometimes very badly) it's still a very popular league. As a lesser player I like it as an opportunity to learn first hand from the better guys and most everyone keeps coming back session to session. I think it's improved my game a lot, more then I would from a handicapped league. Some matches are mostly sitting and racking and that really drives home the fact that you need to stay on the table once you get there. You don't always get to hit a lot of balls, but there's always practice for that.

there's a fix for that players forfeiting when out of the running.

do what i do for my 14.1 league, and have a Wild Card. players most complete the season to be eligable for it !! wild card picks are based on how many wins they have per season. then come playoffs they nee to win their 1st match in playoffs to be elligible for money. if they lose 1st round that money that would of been theirs goes into 1st place. I've been doing this for many season and it keeps everyone honest and i dont have drop-outs for the reason of not in the running.
Also you need to come up with a make-up policy....i've been fighting this for many seasons now. and am firmly putting my foot down this season. (2 weeks to play match) if not played the original person to cancel gets a forfeit. the forfeit also effects their wild card. if they forfeit a match during season they are not in the running for wild card.
you can also collect a deposit at the beginning of the season. if they drop out the deposit get put into the league prize monies. if they complete the season they get the deposit back upon season completion.

PETE TONKIN CUSTOM CUES

Bayshore Billiards 14.1 League ~ Facebook Page ----> https://www.facebook.com/Bayshorebilliardsstraightpool

High Runs:

2019 - In Game - 127
2018 - Practice - 136
2011 - Highest on Video - 50

50 ball evaluation by Blackjack David Sapolis -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiBfKo85z4g

Old
  (#6)
Wally in Cincy
AzB Silver Member
Wally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2019, 06:46 AM

The way the Cincinnati Straight Pool League used to be run was this. All 32 players were split in two divisions, all skill levels mixed together. In the playoffs they would run 4 groups of 8 players, with players of similar skill level placed on the same board. That way I got to play higher level players in the regular season (and get my brains beat out) but in the playoffs I had a much better chance of winning.

Sometimes they would group 4 tiers in the regular season, based on skill level. I won that group one time undefeated I think, meaning I was the 25th best player out of 32. Whoopeee!

Wally in Cincy

Old
  (#7)
stevekur1
The "COMMISH"
stevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4700

03-15-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally in Cincy View Post
The way the Cincinnati Straight Pool League used to be run was this. All 32 players were split in two divisions, all skill levels mixed together. In the playoffs they would run 4 groups of 8 players, with players of similar skill level placed on the same board. That way I got to play higher level players in the regular season (and get my brains beat out) but in the playoffs I had a much better chance of winning.

Sometimes they would group 4 tiers in the regular season, based on skill level. I won that group one time undefeated I think, meaning I was the 25th best player out of 32. Whoopeee!
that's the way i do it. 4 Groups. last season i had 54 players. and this current season i have 44 because it rolls into summer. last season we had about 11k in prize money plus a custom cue built by Richard Hsu from Brooklyn NY for the season champion !!

PETE TONKIN CUSTOM CUES

Bayshore Billiards 14.1 League ~ Facebook Page ----> https://www.facebook.com/Bayshorebilliardsstraightpool

High Runs:

2019 - In Game - 127
2018 - Practice - 136
2011 - Highest on Video - 50

50 ball evaluation by Blackjack David Sapolis -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiBfKo85z4g

Old
  (#8)
Positively Ralf
AzB Silver Member
Positively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond repute

03-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Thanks for some of the advice. Really appreciate it.

BTW, someone seriously needs to consider putting in a system of sorts that can be used to bring back the amateur 14.1 championship.

Old
  (#9)
Wally in Cincy
AzB Silver Member

03-15-2019, 10:55 AM

We pay $10 league fee (plus table time). Winner gets back $15 I think. Loser gets a little bit. Couple of bucks goes to a season ending party and skills contest.

Wally in Cincy

Old
  (#10)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2019, 06:59 AM

Wally
You describe yourself as a player who gets beat a lot, 25th best. Out of curiosity to
compare to myself, what sort of runs are you capable of. I frequently run in th20's occasisionlly
in the 30's but usually get out of position somewhere in the high 20's.

Old
  (#11)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally in Cincy View Post
I would have to second what Slach said. We play to 100 once a week. Sometimes I might only get one win in 8 matches. But it is fun , good practice and always a learning experience. We donít play on a particular night. We call the other players to schedule a match. The biggest problem is getting to people to get their matches in.
I would think best chance to minimize that from happening is to require players to pay the full fee up front to cover everything (including the table time for their matches) for the entire length of the league session. That gives a them a little more incentive to hang in there and continue to play their matches even when they've been eliminated from finishing high enough to win anything or qualify for the playoffs.

Yes, it may be humiliating for a player to lose by a very lopsided score to a far superior opponent, but as others have said, that's the best way to learn! However, I don't see these non-handicapped 14.1 leagues as being much a benefit to the clear top rated players, who except when they are playing each other, can steamroll through most of their matches. By contrast, if they have to give a considerably lower rated opponent a 50, 60, or even a 70 ball spot before they even start the race to 100 match, then they have to take it far more seriously and play a much smarter game.

Old
  (#12)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESSNA10 View Post
Wally
You describe yourself as a player who gets beat a lot, 25th best. Out of curiosity to
compare to myself, what sort of runs are you capable of. I frequently run in th20's occasisionlly
If you frequently run in the 20s and occasionally in the 30s, that would easily put you among the top 14.1 players in our room, especially if you are ending your runs with a good safety as opposed to leaving you opponent an open, easy rack.

You can play very strong amateur level 14.1 running no more than 2 racks at a time if you play smart, and if your runs are ending by leaving your opponent without a shot or with an extremely tough shot.

Old
  (#13)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2019, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the explanation

Old
  (#14)
14-1StraightMan
High Run 127
14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
I would think best chance to minimize that from happening is to require players to pay the full fee up front to cover everything (including the table time for their matches) for the entire length of the league session. That gives a them a little more incentive to hang in there and continue to play their matches even when they've been eliminated from finishing high enough to win anything or qualify for the playoffs.

Yes, it may be humiliating for a player to lose by a very lopsided score to a far superior opponent, but as others have said, that's the best way to learn! However, I don't see these non-handicapped 14.1 leagues as being much a benefit to the clear top rated players, who except when they are playing each other, can steamroll through most of their matches. By contrast, if they have to give a considerably lower rated opponent a 50, 60, or even a 70 ball spot before they even start the race to 100 match, then they have to take it far more seriously and play a much smarter game.

I totally agree with ChrisinNC… I have been running a 14.1 League in the Dallas area now for a few years. It is handicapped. That keeps players from being steamrolled. Plus, it is an incentive for the top players to knuckle down. Depending how many players sign up each season determines how many divisions. Next season I will have players going to 75, 90, 100, 110, 125 and myself to 175.... Great to hear about so many 14.1 leagues out there.

Old
  (#15)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESSNA10 View Post
Wally
Depends on what you mean by "frequently" in the 20's.

Dan White

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: