AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Talk To A Mechanic
Reload this Page JB Weld Seam Chip Fix

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

06-18-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
A big repair out in the center of a slate where a jumped ball could land is maybe better done with something harder.
How many times have you personally seen bondo fail on slate? I never have in my 38 years of working on pool tables, so why would I change to some other kind of repair?

Old
  (#17)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-19-2019, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Then comes the problem of people using it in the seams of the slate.....now what are the seams going to look like after being filled with that? Are they still going to come apart just as they do with bondo??
In my first post I mentioned that I would not use it for seams.
It would be very difficult to clean up after doing a tear down. I only see it as a permanent chip and scratch filler out in the field of a slate.

Quote:
How many times have you personally seen bondo fail on slate? I never have in my 38 years of working on pool tables, so why would I change to some other kind of repair?
I suppose you shouldn't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by logical; 06-19-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Old
  (#18)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-19-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:

Do you use wax on seams?

BOXCAR

Old
  (#19)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
Do you use wax on seams?

BOXCAR
If they are nice clean tight seams wax is a good choice along with superglue and a thin paper combo to keep them together...but I am just an amateur.

Last edited by logical; 06-19-2019 at 06:23 AM.

Old
  (#20)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
It would be very difficult to clean up after doing a tear down. I only see it as a permanent chip and scratch filler out in the field of a slate.

I suppose you shouldn't.

The next time I run across a 3 piece slate put together with JB weld, I'll be sure to pass along the work to whom ever thinks JB Weld is great for filling chips in the slates...as well as filling the seams with too!!

Old
  (#21)
logical
sarcasm while you wait

06-19-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
The next time I run across a 3 piece slate put together with JB weld, I'll be sure to pass along the work to whom ever thinks JB Weld is great for filling chips in the slates...as well as filling the seams with too!!
I wasn't the one suggesting JB weld and made no comment about JB weld.

Old
  (#22)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

06-19-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I wasn't the one suggesting JB weld and made no comment about JB weld.
I know, but the problem is, there's people out there that read these great ideas, then try to implement them on their own, then when they do, they just screw things up because they have no idea what they're doing. I had a customer once that called me to take his 3 piece slate 9ft apart because he was moving. Nice GC1, but he himself had JB Welded the slates together because he got tire of them coming apart. Once I got to the point of taking the slates apart, I packed up my tools and told him to call me when HE gets them apart. I got a call later that same day....asking me if I had another set of 9ft slates because he BROKE one of the slates trying to get them apart!!! I told him no, I don't have any spare slates just laying around. He asked what he should do then....I told him to call someone else!!

Old
  (#23)
logical
sarcasm while you wait

06-19-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I know, but the problem is, there's people out there that read these great ideas, then try to implement them on their own, then when they do, they just screw things up because they have no idea what they're doing. I had a customer once that called me to take his 3 piece slate 9ft apart because he was moving. Nice GC1, but he himself had JB Welded the slates together because he got tire of them coming apart. Once I got to the point of taking the slates apart, I packed up my tools and told him to call me when HE gets them apart. I got a call later that same day....asking me if I had another set of 9ft slates because he BROKE one of the slates trying to get them apart!!! I told him no, I don't have any spare slates just laying around. He asked what he should do then....I told him to call someone else!!
I don't envy you dealing with the people and workmanship you have to sort out. Since I am only dealing with my own stuff I can take days to set up my table and try to correct every sin of previous owner and mechanic. I wouldn't be able to make a living at it. I have the luxury of stopping at any point and taking a day to repair a bunch of stripped/loose screw holes or whatever else I find that isn't quite right.

Old
  (#24)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I don't envy you dealing with the people and workmanship you have to sort out. Since I am only dealing with my own stuff I can take days to set up my table and try to correct every sin of previous owner and mechanic. I wouldn't be able to make a living at it. I have the luxury of stopping at any point and taking a day to repair a bunch of stripped/loose screw holes or whatever else I find that isn't quite right.

The spread of misinformation is real. People post their "genius" ideas on here that have no idea what they are doing and others try it.....
I hate walking into a room and having to leave because the issues are totally not worth trying to battle.... Crappy part is that sometimes you can't see any of the debauchery until you dive in and then it is too late!

Trent from Toledo

p.s. bond works great.

Old
  (#25)
tjohnson
AzB Silver Member
tjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetjohnson has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 12:37 PM

I have an old GC1 that I have done a few repairs on by myself (broken slate, stripped nut plates, etc.). Every single time I followed the generous advice of RKC on how to do the repair. Every single time it has come out perfectly. I'm seeing a pattern here... :-)

Old
  (#26)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson View Post
I have an old GC1 that I have done a few repairs on by myself (broken slate, stripped nut plates, etc.). Every single time I followed the generous advice of RKC on how to do the repair. Every single time it has come out perfectly. I'm seeing a pattern here... :-)

You hit the nail right on the head! Trying to re-invent the wheel is silly, RKC's methods are tried, true and tested. I also have never had issues with any advice he has given me! We are all lucky to have a person dedicated to helping our industry.

Trent

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: