Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page What are things a good 14.1 instructor should be teaching?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
yep
Old
  (#16)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

yep - 05-25-2019, 12:06 PM

yep. or yes

Teaching Aid
Old
  (#17)
chas1022
AzB Silver Member
chas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond repute

Teaching Aid - 06-07-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaldo View Post
Ralf: Watch this video studiously from the beginning and all the way thru several times; it's a treasure trove of advice, tips, sensible precautions, and real encouragement by example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPrRvPOUkA

John is a natural-born teacher and you and others will learn a tremendous amount from his player review voiceover discussing his 366-ball run and his seasoned overall insights into exactly how he and other top ball-runners optimally approach the sequential racks.

I've steered dozens of local players/students to this free video and you'd be amazed at how the principles John annunciates (and obviously demonstrates) rapidly affected and greatly improved their Straight Pool playing.

(Fast forward thru the two 5-minute business phone calls John takes during the run.)

Be sure to post here on this thread your reaction to the video after digesting it; that will encourage future readers of this forum to watch it and benefit from it (as much as you surely will).

I don't think there's a single vital element of 14.1 play that isn't discussed and amply demonstrated by John as he proceeds thru this skillfully and intelligently accomplished run. His instincts for the game are rare, marvelous, and generously extended to all 14.1 aspirants wishing to elevate their skills (and enjoyment) at the table.

Arnaldo
Thanks for posting this. I like the way John explains several things for starters he says on break shots don't make more out of it then what it is blast the rack and you should walk away with a shot,play position on several balls. Thanks again great teaching tool.

Old
  (#18)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

06-07-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1022 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I like the way John explains several things for starters he says on break shots don't make more out of it then what it is blast the rack and you should walk away with a shot,play position on several balls. Thanks again great teaching tool.
Mike Sigel says the same thing. He says just make sure you pocket the ball and don't over analyze anything else. Just break 'em up and see what you get.

Pat Fleming tends toward the same philosophy on the break.

Dan White

Fakebook
Old
  (#19)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

Fakebook - 06-10-2019, 04:39 PM

I am really surprised at how many people take for granted on what they read on fakebook'. fakebook is nothing more than another experiment on john cue' public. I would add to not let fakebook' be the teacher.

What to teach
Old
  (#20)
mworkman
AzB Silver Member
mworkman has a reputation beyond reputemworkman has a reputation beyond reputemworkman has a reputation beyond reputemworkman has a reputation beyond reputemworkman has a reputation beyond reputemworkman has a reputation beyond reputemworkman has a reputation beyond reputemworkman has a reputation beyond reputemworkman has a reputation beyond reputemworkman has a reputation beyond reputemworkman has a reputation beyond repute

What to teach - 06-30-2019, 05:50 PM

I've been watching all those Derby city classic straight pool runs on YouTube. I feel this has been helpful. It seems to me that the best players are the best shot makers. I know there is more to it than that, but watching these runs, I know most of the time what they are going to do next, but when I'm playing at home I rarely get out of the 3rd rack. I just miss a very makeable shot usually. So for me, it's just practicing my fundamentals and shot making that I need to work on.

I must continue my journey

Old
  (#21)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

07-01-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
Mike Sigel says the same thing. He says just make sure you pocket the ball and don't over analyze anything else. Just break 'em up and see what you get.

Pat Fleming tends toward the same philosophy on the break.
Mike and Pat, whose primes coincided, hit the break shot quite differently in their peak form. Pat would often draw off the pack all the way to the back rail and back out on a standard side of the rack break shot. You rarely saw this from Mike.

Old
  (#22)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Mike and Pat, whose primes coincided, hit the break shot quite differently in their peak form. Pat would often draw off the pack all the way to the back rail and back out on a standard side of the rack break shot. You rarely saw this from Mike.
But would you characterize them both in the school of "hit 'em hard and don't worry about it"? Sigel said that directly and that's the method Pat was teaching as of about 10 years ago.

I know Tony Robles is (or was) much more analytical about where balls were likely to go after the break, and Pat was not so much of that mind as far as I recall.

Dan White

Old
  (#23)
sjm
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
But would you characterize them both in the school of "hit 'em hard and don't worry about it"? Sigel said that directly and that's the method Pat was teaching as of about 10 years ago.

I know Tony Robles is (or was) much more analytical about where balls were likely to go after the break, and Pat was not so much of that mind as far as I recall.
Yes, both Mike and Pat are in that school, but Pat took a little more risk than Mike in the way he hit the break shots.

If you've seen Niels Feijen play 14.1, he often hits the break shot the way Pat Fleming used to, and I had a chat with him about it in about 2008. The gist of what Niels said was that he knew he'd scratch a little more off the pack than the next guy, but the easier layouts produced were more than adequate compensation for the slightly added risk.

Old
  (#24)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

07-01-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Yes, both Mike and Pat are in that school, but Pat took a little more risk than Mike in the way he hit the break shots.

If you've seen Niels Feijen play 14.1, he often hits the break shot the way Pat Fleming used to, and I had a chat with him about it in about 2008. The gist of what Niels said was that he knew he'd scratch a little more off the pack than the next guy, but the easier layouts produced were more than adequate compensation for the slightly added risk.
Sounds like Hohmann.

Old
  (#25)
sjm

07-01-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Sounds like Hohmann.
Yes, Hohmann and Feijen have a very similar approach and style. Of the old-timers, perhaps only Luther Lassiter hit the break shots as hard.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: