AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Value of this Vintage Table?
Old
  (#1)
gambler67
AzB Silver Member

gambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Value of this Vintage Table? - 06-04-2019, 10:27 AM

Anyone know much about this type of table and if it's worth much restoring it?
Attached Images

Old
  (#2)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

06-05-2019, 07:21 AM

Better pictures would help!

Trent from Toledo

pics
Old
  (#3)
gambler67
AzB Silver Member

gambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond repute

pics - 06-06-2019, 06:52 PM

sorry the person that wanted to know about the table sent me the pics, its a 9 foot 1 inch slate table

Old
  (#4)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

06-06-2019, 07:31 PM

Good luck, that nameplate could have been replaced as many companies did that. With out pictures it is really hard to put a value on it, just not enough info.

Trent from Toledo

Palen table
Old
  (#5)
gambler67
AzB Silver Member

Palen table - 06-07-2019, 04:27 PM

the guy says the table only had the one owner and nothing was replaced, I guess a better way to put it do 9' Jos.F.Palen tables that were made in 1964, is there any value to them?

Old
  (#6)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Like Trent already stated, not much to go on here without good pics. I think we can rule out a manufacture date of 1964 though. That rail cap that the brass nameplate is mounted to appears to be Rosewood. If I were a betting man I'd bet that the number 1964 is actually a serial number. Someone please confirm, or correct me, but Brazilian Rosewood was pretty much history after the Brunswick Centennial run, and I think most of the later ones were produced with formica rail caps. FWIW I haven't seen any tables made after WWII with original Rosewood rail caps, other than the Brunswick Centennial and occasional special order Anniversary. It's kinda sad that some of those exotic woods that were used to make those beautiful tables and cues back in the early days are now extinct.

Old
  (#7)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2019, 07:16 AM

Agree with Lawnboy.

Everything about the style of plaque, artwork, and visible wood for rail, says "pre-WW2" to me unless Jos.Palen was a custom maker. (I used to make parts & tools for a custom table builder in the 60's - early 90's. Some of his products with T-rails looked classic antique unless you got under them).

That said, "value" is probably pretty low unless there is something very distinctive about it or if documented that Teddy Roosevelt had an action match on it . Everyone wants BBC, or for modern tables, Diamond.

It could well be an exceptional table, though. You'll have to ask your table tech to analyze that. Depends on how the frame was built, the rail system & attachment method, and condition/quality of the slates. If the bones are good the cost could be similar to re-building a later model table, but it might be more attractive/appealing to many of us. Unfortunately less likely to get the re-build costs out of it on sale compared to the current favorites.

Better pics sure would help.

smt

Last edited by Ssonerai; 06-09-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Old
  (#8)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

06-09-2019, 07:46 AM

The "1964" stamp is undoubtedly a model number or serial number. The table was definitely made in the first half or third of the 20th Century.

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Old
  (#9)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambler67 View Post
Anyone know much about this type of table and if it's worth much restoring it?
Have you done any research at all or just expect others to do it for you? A quick Google search for "Jos F Palan pool table" yielded this:

http://www.josfpalen.com

Looks like they are still in business. Why not try calling them for info?

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Last edited by rexus31; 06-09-2019 at 07:52 AM.

Palen table
Old
  (#10)
gambler67
AzB Silver Member

Palen table - 06-09-2019, 01:50 PM

yes I found all that info from google about history of the company and when they started early 1900's

Old
  (#11)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member

06-10-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
yes I found all that info from google about history of the company and when they started early 1900's
Did you call them to see if they can give you infomration on their table?

Palen table
Old
  (#12)
gambler67
AzB Silver Member

Palen table - 06-10-2019, 09:13 PM

I doubt it since they haven't sold pool tables in a very long time

Old
  (#13)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member

06-11-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I doubt it since they haven't sold pool tables in a very long time
You'd be surprised.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: