Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Sky Woodward - Record "24" ?
Page 2 of 8 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
markjames
AzB Silver Member
markjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond reputemarkjames has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-17-2019, 12:51 PM

Iíd like to see some video
Of this spot shot kenny

Old
  (#17)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-17-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekur1 View Post
I Saw something about Sky setting some sort of record.

Anyone know what the record was ?

Was it 24 Spot shots in a row ?

Thanks
Steve
For me this would be how many times I can hear someone tell another banger the wrong rules before I run up to them and beat them in the head with a house cue.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#18)
Rubik's Cube
Pool ball collector.
Rubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2019, 01:55 PM

I used to practice this sort of thing. It’s a huge advantage if you can persuade a friend to undertake respotting duties.

Old
  (#19)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon of Sin View Post
There is a reason that's unofficial. I highly doubt that.
There were some witness reports on AZB about Spot Shot Kenny including from people who spotted the balls for him sometimes. I tend to believe it's possible. If someone wants a small bet on making 100 in a row, I'll pay to see it and I won't be that surprised. I also believe many of the stories about Titanic Thompson.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#20)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

06-17-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
There were some witness reports on AZB about Spot Shot Kenny including from people who spotted the balls for him sometimes. I tend to believe it's possible. If someone wants a small bet on making 100 in a row, I'll pay to see it and I won't be that surprised. I also believe many of the stories about Titanic Thompson.
100 I believe. Thats a far cry from 1000+

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#21)
jeffj2h
AzB Silver Member

jeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2019, 03:53 PM

Iíve practiced Bert Kinisterís version of this drill and if Sky got 24 the way described above; amazing

Bertís version (for mortals) is to do spot shots with the goal of shooting with the speed to land the CB in between a specified set of diamonds. Itís possible to make a spot shot and land the CB within the front 2 diamonds.

Old
  (#22)
jeffj2h
AzB Silver Member

jeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond reputejeffj2h has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffj2h View Post
Iíve practiced Bert Kinisterís version of this drill and if Sky got 24 the way described above; amazing

Bertís version (for mortals) is to do spot shots with the goal of shooting with the speed to land the CB in between a specified set of diamonds. Itís possible to make a spot shot and land the CB within the front 2 diamonds.

I meant to say itís possible to land the CB ONE diamond from the end rail. This is a good drill for speed control.

Old
  (#23)
Rubik's Cube
Pool ball collector.
Rubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2019, 04:35 PM

Bob.

I’m sure you have, sir, but just in case not: Have you read Fast Company by Jon Bradshaw? The author spent several months traveling with six of the world’s most charismatic gamblers, including Rudolph Wanderone and Titanic Thompson. It is superbly written, an absolute joy to read.

Best wishes,
RC.

Bar Box Spot Shots
Old
  (#24)
BarTableMan
AzB Silver Member
BarTableMan has a reputation beyond reputeBarTableMan has a reputation beyond reputeBarTableMan has a reputation beyond reputeBarTableMan has a reputation beyond reputeBarTableMan has a reputation beyond reputeBarTableMan has a reputation beyond reputeBarTableMan has a reputation beyond reputeBarTableMan has a reputation beyond reputeBarTableMan has a reputation beyond reputeBarTableMan has a reputation beyond reputeBarTableMan has a reputation beyond repute

Bar Box Spot Shots - 06-17-2019, 04:46 PM

With a full room watching... cue ball on the head spot and object ball on the foot spot...I made 139 cuts to the corner without scratching. I had 3 team mates spot the balls after I made them. Valley Bar Box in 1994.

It's not a natural scratch
Old
  (#25)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

It's not a natural scratch - 06-17-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarTableMan View Post
With a full room watching... cue ball on the head spot and object ball on the foot spot...I made 139 cuts to the corner without scratching. I had 3 team mates spot the balls after I made them. Valley Bar Box in 1994.

When I went into a place and people wouldn't bet a few dollars or a beer on a game I often started shooting headspot to footspot shots. Not shooting them too well. Before long it wasn't unusual for three or four guys to be wanting to show me how it was done. At a dollar apiece a shot the money was respectable. Three to one odds on your money when you were shooting was nice too.

I always emphasized that the ball had to be pocketed without a scratch. It was amazing how many ways they would find to scratch when the shot wasn't a scratch shot to begin with!

Hu

Old
  (#26)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffj2h View Post

If the table is level, felt clean, balls clean and not out of round (from wear/over cleaning), shooting a spot shot and cue ball stopping 1.5 diamonds before it gets to foot rail is not difficult after a little practice.

As you said, it's a very good way to practice touch shots with distance.

Don't let your bark be bigger than your stroke.

If I had plenty of money, I would probably lose more often.

Old
  (#27)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon of Sin View Post
100 I believe. Thats a far cry from 1000+
If someone spends most of their spare time on a pool table shooting spot shots, they might get pretty good at it. Some people could throw coins into the slot of a pay phone (when those antiques still existed). And you may want to review Smorgassbored's story about the guy who knocked over the head pin on a bowling lane by throwing one card at a time from a standard deck of 52.

And the 1000+ was a personal record and not a standard challenge. One of the witnesses said he frequently ran 200 or 300.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#28)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

06-19-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
If someone spends most of their spare time on a pool table shooting spot shots, they might get pretty good at it. Some people could throw coins into the slot of a pay phone (when those antiques still existed). And you may want to review Smorgassbored's story about the guy who knocked over the head pin on a bowling lane by throwing one card at a time from a standard deck of 52.
Throwing coins into a slot of a payphone. If I sat there all day throwing quarters at it, I'm sure one will go in. Like the spot shot record, it's consistency that makes this impressive, not luck. Throw 3 in a row into the pay phone... that's incredible but I doubt its possible.

Quote:
And the 1000+ was a personal record and not a standard challenge. One of the witnesses said he frequently ran 200 or 300.
300 I believe, especially after seeing that girl go on that spot shot run in that training video that was posted not too long ago. (She ran 140, video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDz9...ature=youtu.be) 1000+, still dont believe it.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool to have the stories and tall tales like this for pool and life in general. It challenges people to push the boundaries of what is possible and what isn't.

There are no videos of Mosconi shooting the 526 but I believe it did happen, and that pushed John to beat that record. Like that record though, there has to be some type of belief for someone to want to go after it and try to beat it. You tell me 1000+ spot shots... that's insane and not believable, but it makes me want to see how many I can do... then sadly give up after not getting past 4 on multiple attempts.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Last edited by Icon of Sin; 06-19-2019 at 04:11 AM.

Old
  (#29)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Silver Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

06-19-2019, 06:25 AM

1000 doesn’t seem outrageous to me, if there’s someone known to be a spot shot fiend and that’s his thing I believe he might actually take the time to do that. As has been stated before if the shots are all to the same pocket a groove starts to form making a path right to the pocket and the ball can be hit a little off and still get in the groove and go.

Old
  (#30)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
06-19-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post
1000 doesnít seem outrageous to me, if thereís someone known to be a spot shot fiend and thatís his thing I believe he might actually take the time to do that. As has been stated before if the shots are all to the same pocket a groove starts to form making a path right to the pocket and the ball can be hit a little off and still get in the groove and go.
I don't believe in the groove.

Page 2 of 8 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: