some assitance plz

i need somethin

i SeEn It... hE nEeDs It
Silver Member
shaft questions

i just got a new shaft made for my cue. Only problem is that i ordered it to be a 12.5 shaft. now im used to playing with like a 12 to an 11.8. (i know pretty thin)

i just want to know how long you guys think its going to take to adjust to this new shaft... i know i can not play no one pocket at all now. i have no idea where my cue ball is going to end up.

its not the stun shots im really worried about. im more worried when i have to finesse the balls... thats when i begin to miss.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats an easy question, 3 months or 2 weeks! :D

Let me explain, several years ago when I went and bought my first Predator shaft, I had read all the hype and talked to some local players with them. One of, whom was a much better shot than me at the time, had told me it took her about 3 months to get use to it. Well being a novice player compared to her I believed it and I was insistent that it would take me 3 months to get use to a Predator shaft!

After 2-3 years with the Predator I decided to take the custom cue route and I got a cue with a thicker shaft. After the couple times shooting with it, I couldn't play at all. For 2 weeks my game sucked, and I asked a local friend if he had a radial pin Predator shaft, which he did. The next time I saw him he had it and I bought it from him. I had played a night or two before and shot pretty good with the thicker shaft and once I put that Predator shaft on, yep, I couldn't make a ball with it. So I went to the thicker shaft and haven't played with a Predator shaft since.

So the moral of the story, if its in your head that it will take you 3 months, then it will take 3 months. Of course, if you don't think that way, it will be much quicker to get use to it. Get as much practice in as you can and you will be playing your norm with it in no time.

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh one more thing that may or may not help you. When I went from the thinner Predator shaft back to a thicker shaft, my stroke was horrible. I could easily control the cue ball just by poking with the Predator shaft but when I tried that with a thicker shaft nothing happened of course. Once I realized my stroke was almost non-existent, I concentrated on it more and everything worked out great.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
A .5 to .7mm difference and you don't know where your cue ball is going to wind up???

I have always been amazed at threads of this nature. People changing shafts and suddenly "not being able to make a ball" or "I can't control my cue ball now" type of statements.

Hey folks, it's a long, cylindrical, tapered piece of wood with a leather tip at the end of it. Quit/don't let it get into your head. Sure it changes things going from shaft diameter to a different diameter, or a standard shaft to a low deflection shaft, but GEEZ, now you can't make a ball or control the cue ball??? Wow.

Back when I had Z shafts, I used to practice at home from day to day with (in no particular order) the Z's (11.75mm), 314's (12.75mm) and standard 13mm shafts. There was no loss of ability to either pocket balls or position my cueball. Maybe it's just me and I'm too stupid :sorry: to realize that there is supposed to be a difference between the shafts I was using, but I couldn't tell a difference in my overall game no matter which shaft (or cue for that matter) I was using on any particular day.

I am not trying to sound condescending, but I personally think what people experience is the "mind over matter" principle. It simply gets in their heads.

OTOH, there seems to be a lot of what you are experiencing going on with other people, so maybe it all in MY head :embarrassed2:!!!

Maniac

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A .5 to .7mm difference and you don't know where your cue ball is going to wind up???

I have always been amazed at threads of this nature. People changing shafts and suddenly "not being able to make a ball" or "I can't control my cue ball now" type of statements.

Hey folks, it's a long, cylindrical, tapered piece of wood with a leather tip at the end of it. Quit/don't let it get into your head. Sure it changes things going from shaft diameter to a different diameter, or a standard shaft to a low deflection shaft, but GEEZ, now you can't make a ball or control the cue ball??? Wow.

Back when I had Z shafts, I used to practice at home from day to day with (in no particular order) the Z's (11.75mm), 314's (12.75mm) and standard 13mm shafts. There was no loss of ability to either pocket balls or position my cueball. Maybe it's just me and I'm too stupid :sorry: to realize that there is supposed to be a difference between the shafts I was using, but I couldn't tell a difference in my overall game no matter which shaft (or cue for that matter) I was using on any particular day.

I am not trying to sound condescending, but I personally think what people experience is the "mind over matter" principle. It simply gets in their heads.

OTOH, there seems to be a lot of what you are experiencing going on with other people, so maybe it all in MY head :embarrassed2:!!!

Maniac

Well stated. I play with various cues and shafts from 11.75mm to 13mm. Like the 11.75 the best but playing with a 12.5 or a 13mm doesn't change my game. It's got to be mental.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
It'll take a few hundred shots, give or take a few hundred....anywhere from none to a couple thousand. Hurry up and get them out of the way.
:p

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send it to me. I'm workin' on a stick right now and got a piece of 220 in my hand I can sand it down with.

Last edited: