Xiao-Ting Pan

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
Sorry to the other women pool players, but I am a new fan of Xiao-Ting Pan!

I saw her play against Kelly Fisher and Helena T. and she smoked them both with flawless execution and great pattern play. And her safety play? OMG!!!

Her break is also a wonder to behold. She takes a huge wind-up, raising the butt of her cue way up, before slamming the cueball into the rack.

I tried this last night, expecting miscues and inaccuracy, but it worked wonders for my power. The ghost beat me, but I was breaking like I had a cannon for an arm!

I had to look at the cueball on my final stroke for about 5 racks, 'til I got used to the movement. It is much more natural feeling than it looks.

Anyway... watch an XT match if you can. She is wonderful!

PeteW

Registered
BillYards said:
Sorry to the other women pool players, but I am a new fan of Xiao-Ting Pan!

I saw her play against Kelly Fisher and Helena T. and she smoked them both with flawless execution and great pattern play. And her safety play? OMG!!!

Her break is also a wonder to behold. She takes a huge wind-up, raising the butt of her cue way up, before slamming the cueball into the rack.

Anyway... watch an XT match if you can. She is wonderful!

I concur. She is also a very consistent player.

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the good fortune of finding myself as her scotch doubles teammate against Charlie Williams and some other bystander in the AZB room at the BCA. We won! But only cause Charlie made the 8 then scratched in the side. I'll take what I can get.

BillYards

Silver Member
Njhustler1 said:
I had the good fortune of finding myself as her scotch doubles teammate against Charlie Williams and some other bystander in the AZB room at the BCA. We won! But only cause Charlie made the 8 then scratched in the side. I'll take what I can get.

I am beyond green with envy! You bastahd! Haha!

Looked like she had an ebony Southwest cue....

JonoNZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah she uses a SW...

That break is what is taught to all players in Taiwan now. We had a girl who was top 10 in Taiwan come over and play in NZ last year and she had the same break.

She was pretty good too, she break and ran 8 in a row, followed by another 5 :eek:

Anyway back to the break... At the final stroke you pull the cue back slowly and then let the rack have it, kind of like a spring. The other really important thing is to transfer your weight to your front foot which is why the back leg always comes back. I still reckon looking at how Wu breaks is a great example of it, but watching XT break is good too, because it is slightly slower and easier to see what is going on

BillYards

Silver Member
JonoNZ said:
Yeah she uses a SW...

That break is what is taught to all players in Taiwan now. We had a girl who was top 10 in Taiwan come over and play in NZ last year and she had the same break.

She was pretty good too, she break and ran 8 in a row, followed by another 5 :eek:

Anyway back to the break... At the final stroke you pull the cue back slowly and then let the rack have it, kind of like a spring. The other really important thing is to transfer your weight to your front foot which is why the back leg always comes back. I still reckon looking at how Wu breaks is a great example of it, but watching XT break is good too, because it is slightly slower and easier to see what is going on

Yeah, I really got a lot of power when using that break. She kind of stands up on her final (lifting) backswing... I really like it and am excited to see where I can go with it when I really practice it. I have only tried it about 20 times so far... really surprised that I never came close to a miscue...

I think it would be just killer to use it on a barbox. Sadly, I have no good barboxes around to play on...

XT also demonstrated a tool for figuring out 2-rail kickshots that I did not know about, but as she did it, I stood up and yelled "What the hell was that?!?" and my wife got startled and gave me a dirty look (she doesn't get pool).

Last edited:

cheemagun

gettin there...
Silver Member
Thers a chinese dude (not taiwanese) here in NYC that does that.. he brings his stick all the way up then snaps his stick into the cue ball and then your ears would ring if you were anywhere near the table.

JonoNZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oops

That isn't a southwest cue - since when did they have a steel joint - maybe a Bill McDaniel by the amount of ivory espicially just above the leather wrap???

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
By no means am I a fan of 9 ball, but I gotta say that this kids break is a thing of beauty.

As I watch her, she is down on her shot, low on the table, on her final backstroke, with full extension, she uprights herself to a near standing tall position, which raises the butt of the cue and in effect lengthens the distance it is able to travel on the forward stroke as she comes back down with her body behind the stroke. It is amazing to watch. I love it. And cue ball control after the break is no less amazingly consistant.

Pound for pound I'll bet this young lady has the best break in the game. Together with her obvious knowledge of the game, great flowing stroke and super focus, I'm betting she will be the new force to be reckoned with for some time to come.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
yea pan xiao ting is one of my favourites too. i always just thought that she had to elevate for her break because she was so short and cant generate much power otherwise. i dont like how the ref at the fisher match said she scratched on the 3 by hitting the 9 first. that was just dumb. it was so easy to see that she hit the 3 first from the fact that the 3 was moving so much faster than the 9.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I must admit that, after watching the telecast of WPBA Michigan City shortly before I left for Vegas, I expected very big things from Pan at the BCA Pro Event. Her game has developed in a big way over the past year or so, and she is going to be a force for a long time.

She was a major disappointment, however, in Vegas, playing poor matches against both Jasmin and Ga Young. Though overpowered to some extent in each match, her play was especially untidy in the match with Ga Young, inclusive of some bad misses but also some unexpected errors in defensive execution.

I must admit, however, that, although I'd seen her live before, I'd never realized how attractive she is until now. The WPBA has always been blessed by having so many lovely ladies, and Xiaoting is certainly another of these.

I sense growing maturity in Pan's overall shot conceptualization, but I can't help but feel that her competitive pedigree is still developing. What a bright future she has. I think she'll be in the hunt for the #1 ranking within two years.

If we dare to speculate about the eventual arrival of an era when Allison and Karen no longer set the standard, the measuring sticks for Pan will be how she performs against Ga Young Kim, Jasmin Ouschan, and Kelly Fisher. Despite some measure of success against Kelly Fisher this year, she was beaten by Ga Young Kim at WPBA NC and at the BCA Pro Event, and Jasmin Ouschan has now cleaned her clock in back to back events. I believe that if we pay attention to these rivalries, we'll know what the future will bring in women's pool.

These are exciting times in women's pro pool, and Pan is one of the centerpieces of that excitement.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ESPN showed a slow motion of her break, compared to Kelly Fisher's.

Pan moved her whole body like a whip, thrusting her pelvis forward at contact.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Let me be the first slob to say she looked great on TV too. She might eventually get some of the bigger $$ from advertising like Jeannette Lee. I don't know if being called the "Ice Queen" in China (Thanks, Mitch) helps, but she's definately a talented girl who happens to be damn pretty.

I really liked the way she focuses during her matches and the way she stroked the balls in with confidence. It definately looks like she takes her game seriously. She played a tight game that shows she might be able to take on Corr and Allison for the top player honors.

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BillYards said:
I am beyond green with envy! You bastahd! Haha!

Looked like she had an ebony Southwest cue....

Pan is playing with a KaoFa cue made in Taiwan.

If anybody wants a KaoFa catalogue, drop me a PM.

Last edited: