::::::Full splice cue contest ::::::

Arounceville

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m kicking around an idea to hold a full splice cue building contest. (Format to be determined)
With the intent to draw some attention to the dying art of the full splice cue , I’m inviting anyone who would like to participate. The cues can be built off of a blank /tiltlist/house cue/new construction/ anything as long as it is a full splice( no A joint)
No need to be affiliated with any cue builder organization ( those guys are welcome to participate also though)
Let me know if there is any interest and I’ll move forward if there is
Cues can be new or previous built but please no cues that have been in a competition in the past
Thanks Andy

Jerry rauenzahn
Brent Summers
Larry Vigus
Eric Crisp
Pete Tonkin
Patrick Diveney
John Davis
Shelby Williams
Jake hulsey
Jeff Prather
Andy Gilbert
Joel Hercek
Pete Tascarella
Travis Niklich
Darrin Hill's Cues
Andy Vandervoord
Paul F. Drexler
Ed prewitt
These are just some names off of the top of my head but really anyone is welcome to participate

I very rarely check pms on here
So to contact me if interested
Text5153440112
Email Rouncevillewoodworks@gmail.com
Facebook Andrew Rounceville

Attachments

• 2AFA9B73-4B5D-4ED0-B7BF-049D5B2ACFD2.jpg
    2AFA9B73-4B5D-4ED0-B7BF-049D5B2ACFD2.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 1,837
Last edited:

Kingpin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to see it. Its my favorite style of cue and not everyone can do it. Even of the handful that do it, not all do it well. Andrew, makes a hell of a blank!

Everglade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you have to define full splice with more specific terms than (no a joint) Full splice looks can be accomplished with an A joint that is not visible depending on wood, bridged bottom full splice looks can be accomplished via cnc and even 5 piece construction not counting the veneers will produce some of the most perfect full splice looks. Thomas Wayne and Jake Hulsey came up with a definition of full splice a few years ago. I can't find it. I don't agree with it but thats ok. The laminated full splice look of 5 or 6 pieces not counting the veneers did not qualify under their definition. Their cnc methodology did. The term "conventional" full splice technique is what
I think you are referring to, not the cnc trickery, laminated splice technique which uses 5 or 6 pieces of wood. Just a handle splice and forearm that fits with veneers in between. Just like what you are building.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Jerry R-

Can't wait for this one.

:thumbup:

Attachments

• rauenzahn360blank.jpg
    rauenzahn360blank.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 1,716

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Murray Tucker III makes a great full splice.

Dave <-- proud owner of full splice cues from 4 gentlemen on the OPs list ... and a Tucker ... and a Gracio ... and a couple of Bears ... and an Omori :thumbup:

Arounceville

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
" dying art of the full splice cue ,"

What's the point if someone else makes the splice?

I think your missing the point
Not all of them would be made from blanks
I would love to see some of the Russian recut stuff in it
This isn’t about who makes the cleanest traditional full splice it’s more about pushing the boundaries of what can be made with a full splice

Arounceville

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you have to define full splice with more specific terms than (no a joint) Full splice looks can be accomplished with an A joint that is not visible depending on wood, bridged bottom full splice looks can be accomplished via cnc and even 5 piece construction not counting the veneers will produce some of the most perfect full splice looks. Thomas Wayne and Jake Hulsey came up with a definition of full splice a few years ago. I can't find it. I don't agree with it but thats ok. The laminated full splice look of 5 or 6 pieces not counting the veneers did not qualify under their definition. Their cnc methodology did. The term "conventional" full splice technique is what
I think you are referring to, not the cnc trickery, laminated splice technique which uses 5 or 6 pieces of wood. Just a handle splice and forearm that fits with veneers in between. Just like what you are building.

I think it’s more important to leave the interpretation wide open at least in this first year and see what is made ,bring on the Cnc trickery and the Russian butterflies

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can't wait for this one.

That shop looks familiar. I just received this 2 weeks ago. Not a contest entry, but a nice old school cue. Yours looks to be a real beauty, please post pics when completed.

Attachments

• Jerry R Titleist3.jpg
    Jerry R Titleist3.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,628
Last edited:

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to see this happen! I am a huge fan of full splice cues. So bring on the masterpieces! And let us bask in their glory!

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
That shop looks familiar. I just received this 2 weeks ago. Not a contest entry, but a nice old school cue. Yours looks to be a real beauty, please post pics when completed.

Thanks Dave. Yours looks very nice. I can't wait for more update picts.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Jerry R-

Here's another one. Not sure what year it was made tho.

Attachments

• rauenzahnflamebutterfly.jpg
    rauenzahnflamebutterfly.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 1,582

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
omori for the longest sharpest points

i bought that ebony and curly ph,
soooooo nice when finished, i left it plain, perfect

attachment.php

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone post a drawing with scheme of Full splice and half splice cue?

What are the advantages of full splice cue?

Arounceville

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like we are on

Well it looks like there is a pretty good buzz about this contest/challenge/show
As of now I have confirmed
Mitchell Thomas
Guido Orlandi
Patrick Diveney
Shelby Williams
Brent Summers
Pete Tonkin
SugarTree Custom Cues
Paul F. Drexler
Walter Kelley
Larry Vigus
Andrew Rounceville
John Davis
Tim Monk
Jerry rauenzahn

Hoping to here from
Jake hulsey
Steve Lomax
Doug Beasley
James White
Prather

Let’s try to hash out some of the details these are just what I’m thinking but I completely open to suggestions
Time frame 9months to a year
Cues don’t have to be made specifically for this contest (existing customer cues can be used but need to be entered by the cue maker)
Cues will need to be sent into be exhibited at one of the annual cue shows ,