Shane doing what Shane does.

Could have been upside down today.
Can't wait for tomorrow.

USA!USA!USA!

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim Wyche Rant

Why the hell is he always so negative about the USA players/team? His post match interview statement about the USA team was all about how much trouble they could have been in. Why does Matchroom keep this guy around?

I would like to kick him in the nuts.

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane makes the 3 in the corner, up table for the 4 in the opposite corner, 5 in the side, 6-7 and 9, and the Mosconi Cup is tied at 5-5 after day 2!

Way to take the baton from SJM, Pool Bum! Appreciate the play by play to bring me up to speed. Great job on the descriptions.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Many of us, including me, agreed last night that the goal should be to finish day two at 5-5, so things went according to plan today.

To me, the biggest positive was that the Justin Bergman we'd seen at the International showed up today, and he looks like he'll be a force to be reckoned with over the next two days. Billy Thorpe fond some form, too, after a terrible Thursday, and that's encouraging. Skyler seems to be running hot and cold, but he came with some clutch shots. I don't think Shane, who is rounding into form, has found his "A" game yet. To me, only Styer looks shaky right now.

Session 3 should be a hoot, and a fourth session, which I'll miss due to Thanksgiving, is already guaranteed.

Should be a wild ride from here. Anybody's ballgame!

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I thought Bergman wasn't great yesterday but damn, I was wishing he played more matches today!!!

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Why the hell is he always so negative about the USA players/team? His post match interview statement about the USA team was all about how much trouble they could have been in. Why does Matchroom keep this guy around?

I would like to kick him in the nuts.

C'mon, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of us, including me, agreed last night that the goal should be to finish day two at 5-5, so things went according to plan today.

To me, the biggest positive was that the Justin Bergman we'd seen at the International showed up today, and he looks like he'll be a force to be reckoned with over the next two days. Billy Thorpe fond some form, too, after a terrible Thursday, and that's encouraging. Skyler seems to be running hot and cold, but he came with some clutch shots. I don't think Shane, who is rounding into form, has found his "A" game yet. To me, only Styer looks shaky right now.

Session 3 should be a hoot, and a fourth session, which I'll miss due to Thanksgiving, is already guaranteed.

Should be a wild ride from here. Anybody's ballgame!

Stu, coaching edge to Johan and Jeremy?
It seems their players made some mental and game adjustments today....going late into Mosconi Cup rounds, will Marcus find the right words and strategies to get out of a jam if need be?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The MVP for the US team so far is Feijen. :eek:
He's coming off a long layoff due to injury.
He really shouldn't be on the Euro team.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, coaching edge to Johan and Jeremy?
It seems their players made some mental and game adjustments today....going late into Mosconi Cup rounds, will Marcus find the right words and strategies to get out of a jam if need be?

Only a slight edge.

Tactically, Team USA has been merely passable, playing decent defense at best, but kicking extremely poorly and their jump shots haven't worked out well. That said, offensive execution today was far better than on Monday, and that bodes well for Team USA. Each player came with some very clutch shots today, although Styer was definitely off his game for the second straight day. Greater attention to detail will, in my view, be critical tomorrow, and Johan and Jeremy can likely address this.

Chamat's challenge will be to get Kazakis and Feijen going, for they have underperformed. He doesn't need to say a word to Filler, Shaw or Kaci, all of whom look solid to me through two days. Kazakis has played well at times and usually made good choices but Feijen looks just terrible in both decision making and shot execution.

Wednesday will be fun.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Though Niels is one of the best players of all time, I objected to his selection when it was made.

Fedor Gorst, I argued, who won the European 9-ball Championship by beating Filler in the final, would have been a much better option. Gorst diddn't qualify because the European 9-ball Championship, almost incredibly, don't earn any Mosconi ranking points. If the title carried the kind of points one earns in a Eurotour event, Gorst would have been an automatic qualifier. Chamat should have figured this one out, and Feijen has killed Europe's chances to this point.

Team Europe would have been far more dangerous with Gorst instead of Feijen as the last wild card.

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Though Niels is one of the best players of all time, I objected to his selection when it was made.

Fedor Gorst, I argued, who won the European 9-ball Championship by beating Filler in the final, would have been a much better option. Gorst diddn't qualify because the European 9-ball Championship, almost incredibly, don't earn any Mosconi ranking points. If the title carried the kind of points one earns in a Eurotour event, Gorst would have been an automatic qualifier. Chamat should have figured this one out, and Feijen has killed Europe's chances to this point.

Team Europe would have been far more dangerous with Gorst instead of Feijen as the last wild card.

Or if Chamat wanted someone with experience in this type of event, David Alcaide would have been a smarter choice than Feijen.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Their choice of Feijen over Ouschan will be heavily scrutinized if team Europe is unable to regain the cup.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only a slight edge.

Tactically, Team USA has been merely passable, playing decent defense at best, but kicking extremely poorly and their jump shots haven't worked out well. That said, offensive execution today was far better than on Monday, and that bodes well for Team USA. Each player came with some very clutch shots today, although Styer was definitely off his game for the second straight day. Greater attention to detail will, in my view, be critical tomorrow, and Johan and Jeremy can likely address this.

Chamat's challenge will be to get Kazakis and Feijen going, for they have underperformed. He doesn't need to say a word to Filler, Shaw or Kaci, all of whom look solid to me through two days. Kazakis has played well at times and usually made good choices but Feijen looks just terrible in both decision making and shot execution.

Wednesday will be fun.

Stu, with all due respect, I strongly disagree.

At this point in the affair, the coach's work was over a long time ago. If the lesson was not ingrained far back, it's way too late for any changes to take root now. At this stage of the game, when a player steps to the table, they're going with what has worked best for them in the recent past. That's what they're reaching inside for and trying to make work

It's too late to be talking about the challenges the coaches face. At this stage, under the lights, with the pressure of the game, cameras, and crowd: Dippy gonna do what Dippy gonna do.

Lou Figueroa