Who will be Mosconi Cup 2020 Captains ?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The writing is on the wall . The new decade will usher in new captains.
Team USA
Highly likely Johan stepping down as he says his job is done and 3 years is up. No other better replacement than JJ

Team Europe
Marcus has lost twice in row and is 2 wins out of 5 so his position is shaking. Made questionable decisions like leaving out Albin. Morale is low, something is wrong somewhere and Matchroom may want a reboot, more tinkering.
Appleton said that if Marcus wants to step down as captain or Matchroom wants to let Marcus go, he will take the job if he is offered (I must say Appleton is quick to throw his hat into the ring) :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0IHj25AI_E&feature=youtu.be&t=855

Other possible candidates-
Alex Lely?- had a stint as captain in 2000s . Won 1 lost 1.
Mika? - was also captain before but that was old days when the captain can also play and is not necessarily a coach
Karl Boyes? Can be good vice captain if Europe also has vice captain.
But the big plot twist may be Johan returning to Team Europe :grin:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best option would be Appleton or Boyes. I know Appleton recently opened an office for coaching, or at least that's what I think based on one of his recent FB posts.

If you watch this interview at the conclusion of the MC, with about 25 seconds left, he asks Karl what he thinks about the captain and if changes need to be made.

Karl's response, "I'm ready. I'm ready for the captain seat. Just give me a call."

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JJ vs. Appleton next year. Melling wouldn't be bad either. Guy has a great attitude about the game.

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO Boyes shouldn't be even in the conversation.
To me it was an abuse of his position in front to the Matchroom mic.

Appleton in the conversation possibly. But should be a couple of others higher on the list than Daz.

Top of my list would be Souquet.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry forgot to post clip of Boyes

facebook.com/mosconicup/videos/452090538833336/

It's right around the 11:00 mark

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO Boyes shouldn't be even in the conversation.
To me it was an abuse of his position in front to the Matchroom mic.

Appleton in the conversation possibly. But should be a couple of others higher on the list than Daz.

Top of my list would be Souquet.
Didn't even think of the Kaiser. Would be a great choice. One of THE classiest guys in the game.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The writing is on the wall . The new decade will usher in new captains.
Team USA
Highly likely Johan stepping down as he says his job is done and 3 years is up. No other better replacement than JJ

Team Europe
Marcus has lost twice in row and is 2 wins out of 5 so his position is shaking. Made questionable decisions like leaving out Albin. Morale is low, something is wrong somewhere and Matchroom may want a reboot, more tinkering.
Appleton said that if Marcus wants to step down as captain or Matchroom wants to let Marcus go, he will take the job if he is offered (I must say Appleton is quick to throw his hat into the ring) :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0IHj25AI_E&feature=youtu.be&t=855

Other possible candidates-
Alex Lely?- had a stint as captain in 2000s . Won 1 lost 1.
Mika? - was also captain before but that was old days when the captain can also play and is not necessarily a coach
Karl Boyes? Can be good vice captain if Europe also has vice captain.
But the big plot twist may be Johan returning to Team Europe :grin:

Albin, despite his stellar play in the 2018 Mosconi, would have been as unreasonable a choice as Feijen, whose play was mediocre in the 2018 Mosconi. Albin was not a top 12 Eurotour player this year.

On the other hand, Fedor Gorst won the European 9-ball Championship, and only failed to be an automatic qualifier because, inexplicably, no Mosconi ranking points were earned in that event. Fedor was ranked #4 on the Eurotour, too. He is #18 in the WPA rankings (higher than Albin) and is a very elite young player whose time has come at the Mosconi. America has succeeded of late by going young, and Europe should and likely will follow suit.

Gorst's selection should have been super-obvious here.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If Johann does not come back, I don't see anyone but Jeremy replacing him. Marcus has done a great job as MC Captain and could well be coming back next year too. But if he is replaced I happen to like Karl Boyes for the job. He seemed to be a defacto assistant Captain this year, supporting Team Europe at every turn. The players relate to him and he appears to have their ear. I saw a lot of Karl this week and he seemed to be in the thick of every thing all the way. He immersed himself in the Cup this year! Kind of his stint at On the Job training. :rolleyes:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If Johann does not come back, I don't see anyone but Jeremy replacing him. Marcus has done a great job as MC Captain and could well be coming back next year too. But if he is replaced I happen to like Karl Boyes for the job. He seemed to be a defacto assistant Captain this year, supporting Team Europe at every turn. The players relate to him and he appears to have their ear. I saw a lot of Karl this week and he seemed to be in the thick of every thing all the way. He immersed himself in the Cup this year! Kind of his stint at On the Job training. :rolleyes:

I think Appleton would be a much better choice than Boyes, but I suspect both of them will get their turn at some point.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not using David Alcaide was a huge error, the guy is playing so damn good.

Can’t fault Marcus though, it just came down to his winners didn’t win. Who could have foreseen Neils having so many issues. Same with Shaw and Kazakis.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not using David Alcaide was a huge error, the guy is playing so damn good.

Can’t fault Marcus though, it just came down to his winners didn’t win. Who could have foreseen Neils having so many issues. Same with Shaw and Kazakis.

Who could have foreseen Kazakis having issues? Anyone who watched the 2018 Mosconi Cup, that's who. Wonderful player, but he has yet to show he can play effectively when the lights are this bright.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as i wrote in another thread: daz or ralf

both darren and ralf are wells of knowledge

only slight problem with darren is that he can't always verbalize his thoughts very well, and when he does it's not always fully intelligible for non native yorkshiremen. but this may not even matter since the ground work is done before the cup anyway