RIP - John Robinson

Birk1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZB Community

I just heard today that John Robinson (the cuemaker we all know from Playing off the Rail) passed away yesterday.

http://www.robinsoncues.com/index.html

He was an amazing artist and built a legacy of craftsmanship and honesty around the industry. I true loss to all of us has occurred.

please keep his family in your prayers

Ryan

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a terribly sad thread to read.......I never had the pleasure of personally knowing John but certainly
was aware of whom he was........let's face it, but for the grace of God, it could have been you or me......

May he pass thru the gates of heaven an hour before the devil ever notices he's gone and forever remain
in the hearts and minds of those fortunate to know him and be recognized and remembered for his cues.

God Bless you John Robinson..............RIP.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
This is sad news.

To the point of celebrating the man's fine work, I'd say it is hard to forget the first impression of a Robinson cue.

Joint pins in the shaft as Burt Spain did...but with the innovation of a metal spacer so all shafts could be interchangeable and the hit unique. Robinson designs were often simple so any player could own the work, but if you wanted a distinctive cue, dyed ivory, especially adorning the joint collar was a style touch offered by John.

I have always had an affinity for cue builders whose work is uniquely identifiable. You can spot a Robinson cue from across the room. To me, given the hundreds of competing builders out there, that really says something.

Owners of his cues tend to be loyal and with good reason. They play so very well.

Godspeed John Robinson. Thank you for the blessing of your craft. You won't be forgotten.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
John will surely be missed. Many years ago he was kind enough to offer advice in our Advice from the Masters chapter in my cue building book. I never heard a bad word about him from any other cuemaker or customer. That says a lot about the man. RIP!