Give a Shout Out to Person(s) Most Influential in Your Pool Life

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
Since none of us are getting any younger, I just wanted to give a shout out to a couple of players that were most influential in my early pool playing years:

Doc Fletcher (circa late 1960's in Madison, WI)

Jerry Briesath (circa early 1970's at Cue-Nique Billiards, where I worked for Jerry)

Thanks for the lessons in pool and in life, that have lasted a lifetime!

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dad for showing me some of the basics, and my wife for letting me put a pool table in the house.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Since none of us are getting any younger, I just wanted to give a shout out to a couple of players that were most influential in my early pool playing years:

Doc Fletcher (circa late 1960's in Madison, WI)

Jerry Briesath (circa early 1970's at Cue-Nique Billiards, where I worked for Jerry)

Thanks for the lessons in pool and in life, that have lasted a lifetime!

A young Ronnie Rosas. When I saw how good someone could get and how they could get into exciting money games, it changed my whole outlook on the game.

PocketPooler

Silver Member
When I was a kid (14-16); Fred McPherson in Batesville, IN. He used to beat our brains in at the local Easy Bowl bowling alley. Just when we would start getting a little better, hed start this new game called One Pocket. What a jerk lol.

He inspired me to learn to play so that when he got old, id be able to beat his ass all over the table...

Honorable mention to Mr. Bill Devoe of Moores Hill, IN.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Gerhard Binder campus Q Benton Harbor MI. And of course seeing Earl Strickland on Video.
Jason

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Early on.......my Dad

Steve Cook...taught me a lot about defense and moves. Johnnyt

app4dstn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(Said unflinchingly) AZB. For all that transpires here, there's always a truth or nugget of wisdom within.

Two notions that I subscribe to.... The wisdom of the crowd, and learning to love what you got.

So,a pay it forward "thank you" for what I've yet (but will) to learn from you guys.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
One Pocket Tom from Tom's River, NJ (yes he owns the place) - First person to try and teach me 1P

Pete S. (I use just his last initial because he is paranoid and cantankerous) - Awesome unforgiving one pocket player that is always willing to argue the finer points of everything.

Bob Barkhurst - Always has a smile and absolutely no mercy for anyone in any game of pocket billiards. his specialty these days is One Pocket. He is likely the largest source for my 1P knowledge. He was a real person to beat in the Tampa area, and god help ya if you ran into him in the 60-90's on the road. (you can see this character play 1P on my videos on You Tube, just look up Leshiye. Quite a treasure trove in there.)

Phil - He was the previous owner of my home room. The personification of patience and selecting the correct moment to stomp someones guts out.

Stephanie Mitchell, Bobby Gonnelley, Jon Curtis, Sabra Beahn, Deanna Foster.... I owe too much to sooooo many people. Super grateful to have such good friends and teachers.

Lesh

Nonyamuff

Always behind the 8-ball
Silver Member
My gradfather for giving me the quarters to play on the VFW table when I was young.
Then Stanley Teer for showing me the basics and introducing me to the beast known as snooker.

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Grandfather, Jim Horan of Scranton, PA who was a good player and played some very good players that came through town in his day. My Dad, who taught me the basics yet I failed to stick with the game. When I was a kid my Dad would either shoot with the cigarette hanging from his lips or he would place it on the edge of the table. He would forget about it as he ran balls which caused burn marks on the rails...lot's of them. We had an old coin operated gold crown in the basement.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
My parents for letting me play every summer when we went on vacations, no matter where we went.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I guess I should also thank my parents.....for not giving a $#!☆ what I was doing :grin-square:

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most influential Players

Wow, nearly impossible to pick just one player.....hard enough for me to pick one per region, but I'll just give a few a call out who have been a huge help for me up to this point.

Mike Donnelly, EJ Warden, Jason Reese and the rest of us idiots in Potsdam who couldn't think of anything better to do at school....thanks for getting me into this sadistic game.

Victor Conte, Johnny Mac, Jared, Marc E. and Dwight Dixon, thanks for helping me understand the game a bit more, and for teaching me without completely scalping me :)

Tony Dottolo and Dicky Cappotto, thank you for helping me make another step when I moved out your way. Learned a lot from both of you.

Now that I'm out in Rochester a few people that I can definitely call out to. Grau and Julio, while I haven't shot with you much, watch the games and see what can happen if you put the work in. Dave J, thanks for your help. And Lyn, well what is there to say about you haha. Thanks for keeping the game in perspective. We all have to be able to laugh at ourselves at some point afterall :)

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buzzy from Buzzy's Billiards for teaching me to draw the rock! Thanks Buzz Saw!!!
Lost track him - last I heard he was doing a LONG stretch in Federal prison in FLA.

Cigar Tom for 9 Ball. Still playing GREAT up in Top Hat. Love ya brother!!!

The Almighty Geese ( RIP ) for my one pocket expertise. One of a kind and there will never be another!!! We miss you brother!!!!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bert Kinister with his awesome 3 first videos. Watching Efren Reyes from videos next biggest thing.
Not really anybody from my area because I grew small city in Finland near artic circle. Had to learn all from books and videos.