SBE Allen really got greedy this year!

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
In years past for the Pro Arena general admission was $10 and VIP was $20.

Then Hopkins did a great thing and included free general admission seating with your Expo ticket. VIP was extra. It's been this way for a long time.

This year it's $20 to get in. And $20 PER SESSION in the Pro Arena.
NO VIP seating. First come first serve. So you could be paying $20 to sit in the bleachers.
We always paid the extra for the VIP in the past. It was nicer than the bleachers.

But here's a comparison to last year.

Last year: $20 to get in. Watch all the Pro matches you want.
So $40 for 2 people.

This year: $20 to get in. $40 to watch both Pro Sessions on Sat or Sun.
So $120 for 2 people!!!!!!

BTW they raised the Open Amateur fee from $75 to $95 this year too.

I spoke to Allen tonight about the lack of VIP seating. He wanted to get more seats in the arena.
He was on the run so we didn't talk about the $$

I imagine he is getting some of the PPV $$ too.

Please note. The payouts to the Pros or the Amateurs have NOT INCREASED this year either!!!!:angry:

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's two sides to every coin...it's possible that the overhead expenses went up. i wouldn't jump to conclusions that someone "Got Greedy".

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I will look him up again tomorrow. I doubt that the increases were justified.
It's on his FB and e-mail too.

Payouts should have gone up somewhat.

Higher player fees. Higher viewing fees. PPV $$
And NOTHING to show for it.

Also, I bet there won't be enough people in the arena for him to make much more. We shall see tomorrow.

I'll have to see if exhibitor fees increased too. Wouldn't be surprised.

Remember I paid the extra every year. I'm thinking of all the other people who liked the Gen Admission.
I liked at least getting a real seat for my extra $$ And getting by my fav. players table.

Maybe some kids who never saw the Pros play got to last yr.
Because they could just pop in and watch some games. That can have a very positive affect. Heck many adult players don't even know who SVB is. He is hurting things not helping.

Last edited:

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
I will look him up again tomorrow. I doubt that the increases were justified.
It's on his FB and e-mail too.

Payouts should have gone up somewhat.

Higher player fees. Higher viewing fees. PPV $$
And NOTHING to show for it.

Also, I bet there won't be enough people in the arena for him to make much more. We shall see tomorrow.

I'll have to see if exhibitor fees increased too. Wouldn't be surprised.

Remember I paid the extra every year. I'm thinking of all the other people who liked the Gen Admission.
I liked at least getting a real seat for my extra $$ And getting by my fav. players table.

I think he makes a lot of money .

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Then Hopkins did a great thing and included free general admission seating with your Expo ticket. VIP was extra. It's been this way for a long time.

NO VIP seating. First come first serve. So you could be paying $20 to sit in the bleachers.
We always paid the extra for the VIP in the past. It was nicer than the bleachers.

So $40 for 2 people.

I spoke to Allen tonight about the lack of VIP seating. He wanted to get more seats in the arena.

Please note. The payouts to the Pros or the Amateurs have NOT INCREASED this year either!!!!:angry:

Well I got bombarded here one yr just asking what people thought he actually made off the event ,,
People begged to get it out of NJ he had to have something extra there ,,
What has not gone up in this economy , yes you pay to get in the main pro room but you failed to mention he has tables out on the main floor with pro's playing 10 ball and one pocket so atleast you can watch some pro matches for free I watched several my self

I wouldn't say Allen is a friend but for many yrs I've talked to him more times than I can count sat in the bar with him a couple times also ,, one thing about Allen is he's in the dirt by time Sunday rolls around he personaly cuts the winning checks he looks like he's been run over by a Mack truck , God bless him , there's only been a few people ever as passionate about the game as Allen is and what ever he makes surly is not enough ,
Pool is lucky to have Allan and if he ever decides it's to much it would be a tremendous loss

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I think he makes a lot of money .
Earl thinks so too!! ha

Well I got bombarded here one yr just asking what people thought he actually made off the event ,,
People begged to get it out of NJ he had to have something extra there ,,
What has not gone up in this economy , yes you pay to get in the main pro room but you failed to mention he has tables out on the main floor with pro's playing 10 ball and one pocket so atleast you can watch some pro matches for free I watched several my self

I wouldn't say Allen is a friend but for many yrs I've talked to him more times than I can count sat in the bar with him a couple times also ,, one thing about Allen is he's in the dirt by time Sunday rolls around he personaly cuts the winning checks he looks like he's been run over by a Mack truck , God bless him , there's only been a few people ever as passionate about the game as Allen is and what ever he makes surly is not enough ,
Pool is lucky to have Allan and if he ever decides it's to much it would be a tremendous loss
I only saw One Pocket on the main floor. And I'm not knocking the game but last yr. they were in with the 10 ball and there were about 5% of the fans down by those tables. So no $$ lost for putting 1P on for free.
All of what you said above, and I agree with a lot of it, does not justify the increases.
Only increased fees for renting the venue / tables etc. would.
I will be sure to relay any correspondence I receive.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yeah, I agree. I think Allen should have came here on AZB and asked everyone who has an opinion, how he should run his business and how much he should charge for every aspect of the SBE' as to NOT piss anyone off.....for fear of them being a no show at the event, therefore putting him in a position of going broke. In fact, I think anyone who posts on AZB....should at least be required to discuss their next pay raise so that it can be determined if the person deserves it or not....and should be willing to give full disclosure as to their cost of living so that we can all figure out the persons NET income.....so that it can be voted on by the AZB members as it may be to much income....as some of us may not earn that much money.....and no that just wouldn't be fair now would it:rolleyes:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Yeah, I agree. I think Allen should have came here on AZB and asked everyone who has an opinion, how he should run his business and how much he should charge for every aspect of the SBE' as to NOT piss anyone off.....for fear of them being a no show at the event, therefore putting him in a position of going broke. In fact, I think anyone who posts on AZB....should at least be required to discuss their next pay raise so that it can be determined if the person deserves it or not....and should be willing to give full disclosure as to their cost of living so that we can all figure out the persons NET income.....so that it can be voted on by the AZB members as it may be to much income....as some of us may not earn that much money.....and no that just wouldn't be fair now would it:rolleyes:

I'm gonna hate myself in the morning.......but good post Glen:thumbup:
Jason

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love the SBE. That said I was disappointed that there is now a fee to see the pro's play. Part of the issue for me is that I didn't see anything stating that there would be a fee this year. I get there and find out. Bummer. If nothing else it could have been communicated better.

I paid to play in a tournament that I have no realistic chance of winning. So I'm thinking that at least I could spend the rest of my weekend watching the pro's play after I got the boot. It's one of the things I look forward to at the show.

Unfortunately now I have to pay more money out of pocket if I want to watch the best play. You can only look at the same merchandise so many times after you're done playing.

Since the tournament fee was raised this year anyway why not increase it slightly more to cover the cost of the pro tourney if it was necessary? I get this is a for profit business and that's great. I support it with my entry fee and buying stuff from vendors but I hate to feel like I'm being squeezed.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I love the SBE. That said I was disappointed that there is now a fee to see the pro's play. Part of the issue for me is that I didn't see anything stating that there would be a fee this year. I get there and find out. Bummer. If nothing else it could have been communicated better.

I paid to play in a tournament that I have no realistic chance of winning. So I'm thinking that at least I could spend the rest of my weekend watching the pro's play after I got the boot. It's one of the things I look forward to at the show.

Unfortunately now I have to pay more money out of pocket if I want to watch the best play. You can only look at the same merchandise so many times after you're done playing.

Since the tournament fee was raised this year anyway why not increase it slightly more to cover the cost of the pro tourney if it was necessary? I get this is a for profit business and that's great. I support it with my entry fee and buying stuff from vendors but I hate to feel like I'm being squeezed.

I know it's off subject, but if your all time favorite Pro player was there playing challenge matches against non Pro's, and you were given the opportunity to play that person 3 games in a row, but was required to pay $10 per game, $30 total....would you turn it down?

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm sorry but apart from understanding the point you were trying to make this had to be the worst example humanly possible. Talk about ones Amagdala taking over.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just go up on Sunday afternoon and watch the finals in the rest of the tournaments. You'll see some very good play for free. Then there's the challenge tables; some of those matches are for more than the tournament payouts.

So $40 for 2 people.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm sorry but apart from understanding the point you were trying to make this had to be the worst example humanly possible. Talk about ones Amagdala taking over.

I just knew some of you children of the corn were going to get lost on my response:rolleyes:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I doubt any of you have any idea how much money he puts out to have this event. Prices hadn't changed in years. They had to go up sooner or later. Personally I hope he takes money out if there with a dump truck for all the work he puts in to this event.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
You missed it bub.

You did get squeezed.

Ha you mailed it!

And I doubt any of you have any idea how much money he puts out to have this event. Prices hadn't changed in years. They had to go up sooner or later. Personally I hope he takes money out if there with a dump truck for all the work he puts in to this event.
$0 to $40 per day. Yup that seems fair.
And $0 more to the players.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a blast. Was there for a short time but enjoyed and might go back Sunday. Rather spend $20 to get in than on a bad meal or a crappy movie. Greedy is not the word. It's a quality show that gets a sincere crowd. Nothing is free and good things are not cheap.
Forget the $20.... 20 cost me 500.... Damn JB case, Play Game 9 T shirt and some Hightower lathe accessories.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I had a blast. Was there for a short time but enjoyed and might go back Sunday. Rather spend $20 to get in than on a bad meal or a crappy movie. Greedy is not the word. It's a quality show that gets a sincere crowd. Nothing is free and good things are not cheap.
Forget the $20.... 20 cost me 500.... Damn JB case, Play Game 9 T shirt and some Hightower lathe accessories.
But it was free. (Included)
It's a greedy move.
$0 to $20
Or $0 to $40 for the day.
And you might not even get a stinking chair to sit on!!
Barry at least gives you a chair!!!!
Also, no increase in payouts.

Last edited:

The Chipsta

Registered
Payouts did go up in the open amateur. Not sure of the other events. Pros should be happy that Alan loves the game and does this every year. They are a sideshow here and not the big event. Hope Alan keeps going as long as he is able.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know it's off subject, but if your all time favorite Pro player was there playing challenge matches against non Pro's, and you were given the opportunity to play that person 3 games in a row, but was required to pay $10 per game, $30 total....would you turn it down?

I would pay the $30, but if after playing I find out he now wants an extra $30 for table time I wouldn't be happy. If that was known up front I'd gladly pay the $60.

I don't begrudge people making money. As a matter of fact I hope Allen makes lots of it so he continues to promote the show. It's that I expected one thing and got another. I will drop a couple of g's here all told. So it's really not the money.

I think calling the guy greedy is over the top BTW, we all have a right to a buck. He takes the chances, he should reap the rewards.