Sbe cue pick ups

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not very familiar with Chudy (rc3) other than his one sided veneer style. Are his builds as desirable as the other names you listed? Also do they stand up to the tolerances build wise?

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was hoping someone would start a thread just like this.

Thanks....Now where are those new cue photos?

Matt B.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I'm not very familiar with Chudy (rc3) other than his one sided veneer style. Are his builds as desirable as the other names you listed? Also do they stand up to the tolerances build wise?

never had one on my equipment or took any measurments, but Richard makes as fine a completed product as anyone from what i've seen.....i like original styles.

I've always done woodworking as far back as i can remember with my dad and grandfather (master carpenter and turner...and teacher) always helped him restore lots of antique stuff. I am particularly fond of anything from the 20's through the mid 60's design wise....most of my cues, duck calls and other wood work shows that...... "new antiques" are my style basically.....every call actually i've made has been way fancier than any cue i've made in my shop, except for one i did for a friend about 5 years ago for a grand.

My rings are throwback to martin, spain, gina.....but in my own way...I love how Chudy just took a component out of the veneered point and made something totally original, and i've actually never even seen a "tribute"/knock off of his work....you see that and immideate you know its one of his......

when i got into making duck calls, from growing up and always making stuff, and hunting and guiding in gueydan when i was in my teens....then working in a cue shop for 6 years........when i was asked if i could make one, my second thought after saying yes of course, was man every call i see is like the cuemaker version of a sneaky pete basically, and I dont consider that custom.....so I only make what i consider to be true "custom calls".....though recently I've started doing entry level ones still in my style from forearms of old house cues that tips or bottoms of points were not good enough for conversion......never dawned on me i could do a cheaper model and still stick to my "style"

one thing that i love seeing more of in cues the past ten years is all the great vignaux work (butterfly splice) and now they got a few guys making 360 cues and blanks lol......that should be the story of the past 10 years, the resurgence of vignaux styles and the re-introduction of lost technique to produce a "modern classic"

and sometimes you can just introduce something from one area into another and it works great and becomes a trademark.....like my rings and the calls....and i'm always being asked to do something i havent yet but is usually neat like the bowl which is the only one ive ever done, and that ivory pick/token was my first scrimshaw work....

Most people that I know through pool know I make cues but dont know all the other stuff I do. Strangely enough I sell and make more money from the calls than anything else.....Second is probably the trivets, I get a pretty penny for those.

And omg the calls are so much easier to finish.....i love wood work of any kind, and not that i have an issue with paint, and finishes....but I just never ever enjoyed painting or finishing my wood work, so big bonus......

at the end of the day it all just buys me more stuff to do stuff with and play more pool and do more pool stuff instead of screwing off my cash with all the down time i have when I'm not on a project in the gulf of mexico.....

next year I plan on being at at least one major expo with a booth......food, cues and other wood work.....

and hell once your geared up to do one thing.....you got 3/4 the equipment to do something totally unrealated.....because why not make that too....plus I will use any excuse to buy a tool.....or make one if i have too lol.

I had told a friend from Oklahoma the other day, he asked why I didn't do more inlay work on the cues becuase I do more of it on other stuff.......and he laughed at my responce becuase he knows I think Harvey Martin is the nuts and the simpler something can be sometimes the more pretty it can be an usually is.....

"I've only done inlays in one cue that I sold which was designed and commissioned ($1000) that was not round. Inlays are fine but detracting in my style, plus I feel many times its just done to tack on extra dollars on some half assed hitting player queen.....it startes with rounds, then diamonds, then chip diamonds, next thing you know you wake up down the road and your Thomas Wayne inlaying freakng dragons in a cue on the 4th axis......"

not a knock to T.W. by any means, but thats not what I like to do with cues.....

he says "thats still just right keeb'. you can be the harvey martin of cues in this century, and be the T.W. of the duck calls maybe"

I like that idea lol.....I will be doing a "legends set" of calls of each one of the great cue makers in past as my "show pieces" for festivals and hunting expos......may even do a few "sister pairs" or would it be a "cousin" pair....cue and matching call......i could always leave the reeds out and a player could just say "here fishy fishy fishy" in the pool hall lol.

Maybe someone else will throw up those SBE cue pics soon.......

regards,
Keeb'

Attachments

• quack a bushka.jpg
    quack a bushka.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,153
  • 12473636_10206148954622396_6198020412981079528_o.jpg
    12473636_10206148954622396_6198020412981079528_o.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,136
  • 10835487_10203024947240447_7777368132430745975_o.jpg
    10835487_10203024947240447_7777368132430745975_o.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,140
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,250
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,231

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
never had one on my equipment or took any measurments, but Richard makes as fine a completed product as anyone from what i've seen.....i like original styles.

I've always done woodworking as far back as i can remember with my dad and grandfather (master carpenter and turner...and teacher) always helped him restore lots of antique stuff. I am particularly fond of anything from the 20's through the mid 60's design wise....most of my cues, duck calls and other wood work shows that...... "new antiques" are my style basically.....every call actually i've made has been way fancier than any cue i've made in my shop, except for one i did for a friend about 5 years ago for a grand.

My rings are throwback to martin, spain, gina.....but in my own way...I love how Chudy just took a component out of the veneered point and made something totally original, and i've actually never even seen a "tribute"/knock off of his work....you see that and immideate you know its one of his......

when i got into making duck calls, from growing up and always making stuff, and hunting and guiding in gueydan when i was in my teens....then working in a cue shop for 6 years........when i was asked if i could make one, my second thought after saying yes of course, was man every call i see is like the cuemaker version of a sneaky pete basically, and I dont consider that custom.....so I only make what i consider to be true "custom calls".....though recently I've started doing entry level ones still in my style from forearms of old house cues that tips or bottoms of points were not good enough for conversion......never dawned on me i could do a cheaper model and still stick to my "style"

one thing that i love seeing more of in cues the past ten years is all the great vignaux work (butterfly splice) and now they got a few guys making 360 cues and blanks lol......that should be the story of the past 10 years, the resurgence of vignaux styles and the re-introduction of lost technique to produce a "modern classic"

and sometimes you can just introduce something from one area into another and it works great and becomes a trademark.....like my rings and the calls....and i'm always being asked to do something i havent yet but is usually neat like the bowl which is the only one ive ever done, and that ivory pick/token was my first scrimshaw work....

Most people that I know through pool know I make cues but dont know all the other stuff I do. Strangely enough I sell and make more money from the calls than anything else.....Second is probably the trivets, I get a pretty penny for those.

And omg the calls are so much easier to finish.....i love wood work of any kind, and not that i have an issue with paint, and finishes....but I just never ever enjoyed painting or finishing my wood work, so big bonus......

at the end of the day it all just buys me more stuff to do stuff with and play more pool and do more pool stuff instead of screwing off my cash with all the down time i have when I'm not on a project in the gulf of mexico.....

next year I plan on being at at least one major expo with a booth......food, cues and other wood work.....

and hell once your geared up to do one thing.....you got 3/4 the equipment to do something totally unrealated.....because why not make that too....plus I will use any excuse to buy a tool.....or make one if i have too lol.

I had told a friend from Oklahoma the other day, he asked why I didn't do more inlay work on the cues becuase I do more of it on other stuff.......and he laughed at my responce becuase he knows I think Harvey Martin is the nuts and the simpler something can be sometimes the more pretty it can be an usually is.....

"I've only done inlays in one cue that I sold which was designed and commissioned ($1000) that was not round. Inlays are fine but detracting in my style, plus I feel many times its just done to tack on extra dollars on some half assed hitting player queen.....it startes with rounds, then diamonds, then chip diamonds, next thing you know you wake up down the road and your Thomas Wayne inlaying freakng dragons in a cue on the 4th axis......"

not a knock to T.W. by any means, but thats not what I like to do with cues.....

he says "thats still just right keeb'. you can be the harvey martin of cues in this century, and be the T.W. of the duck calls maybe"

I like that idea lol.....I will be doing a "legends set" of calls of each one of the great cue makers in past as my "show pieces" for festivals and hunting expos......may even do a few "sister pairs" or would it be a "cousin" pair....cue and matching call......i could always leave the reeds out and a player could just say "here fishy fishy fishy" in the pool hall lol.

Maybe someone else will throw up those SBE cue pics soon.......

regards,

Keeb'

Well until they do thanks for your post, great looking stuff, that call is amazing

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1st off i like cues play great! Chudy is 1 of them! Reason dont see many on secondary market! so was curious anyone pick up a nice chudy cue?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Well until they do thanks for your post, great looking stuff, that call is amazing

thanks brother! Growing up there was a list of calls from production to custom that friends and fellow hunters liked for performance and such, some cheap and some expensive comparatively. The old yentzens were pretty good and the sure shot was a nice cheap little mallard call that worked really well in field.

I joked and called this one the "quack-a-bushka"

My custom wood work and the antique restoration i do I named my hobby shop Epignosis Custom Cues and Woodworks back in 2010, when I really started doing my own thing all around. The first call was in 2011. I named them "Sharp Shot"

so all proper like its would be an Epignosis Custom Woodworks Sharp Shot Double Reed Mallard Drake "quack-a-bushka"

its functional now, but not field ready yet. Have some more boring ops to do as I sleeve them with phenolic. This one will have all the interior components that hold the reed/s made of ivory. I dont make jigged calls, I manually machine everything. The phenolic interior I haven't made up my mind as to if im going to "finish it off with silver guilding, or if I will sleeve the phenolic with a sleeve of ivory.....i may do the ivory as this one will be the cream of the crop and is already spoken for. More inlays of rounds larger to smaller up the 4 main points in barrell....inlaid 2 piece ivory "hoppe" rings above and below the dots on the bottom of call....ivory ringlet aound mouth, open on bottom of barrel to see miter working.

really getting into them and doing the "cue work" on them. I can get two or more barrel sets out of one normal length forearm for cues. I happend on building them like this on a failed attempt at a 4pt w no veneer for a cue for myself. The tips were not right, but all that work......didn't want to burn it.....didn't want to do a toilet paper roll holder, not this not that......ahhhhhh BRILLIANT! Duck Call......

I ended up putting 4 more 'points' in that "original forearm" they were barely tapered.......this call is the second set off that forearm, the upper piece actually. The First one Looks just like it....different rings on bottom, no inlays, and has an aluminum "ferrule" inside that supports the top of the barrel and channels the wind. The owner of the first and this one are the same person.....my dad....as it was all his idea to begin with....."hey boy, can you make me a call with your pool stuff? You blow and know how to tune....think you can do that?"

Yes, sir......good idea pop.

I changed that design up a little in the past 5 years.....whats cool is that what ever works for cues will work here.....but the boring ops are the most exciting part lol, and you have to remember how everything will end up dimension wise while maintaing structural strength so its field capable.....without the sleeving my calls would only be capable of competition calling and bein closet queens......

so i basically......am a really strange guy.....i wont build cored pool cues, but i build "cored" and sleeved duck calls......is that hypocritical? Or genius?

heres a few pics of the points from antique house cues that didn't make the cut for a cue.....love the turn of century sun bleached purple heart one i cant wait to finish, its got some nice curl on the PH....its turned down alot so the purple wants to show somewhat so its got a unique brown with that purple trying to pop out and a pretty quilting on the maple.....(shiny one looks like goose call).....those from "blanks" i didn't make are my entry level for the calls like a sneaky pete.....knife sharpners, trivet....love functional art.

That trivet is worm eaten snakewood, marble tiles...MOP.....

the pointed knife sharpner is maple, ebony, and amboyna burl.....which i actually remember was a real nice chunk from marshall piercy over in mississippi......had nice quality wood before he got sick and we lost contact for a handful of years.

best wishes,
Keebie

Attachments

• turn of century sun bleached purple heart2.jpg
    turn of century sun bleached purple heart2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,100
  • sneaky points.jpg
    sneaky points.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 973
  • 480342_3602405334611_690632652_n.jpg
    480342_3602405334611_690632652_n.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,165
  • 577124_3602398334436_1750838984_n.jpg
    577124_3602398334436_1750838984_n.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,091
Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone pick up some monsters? Mobleys,searings,boars,chudys,szams?

I know what I didn't pick up:
The Cock Ring and the matching Condom.

What the hell are they going to think up next?

Freddie

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keeb'

I was walking the floor with Dieckman and he pointing out several cue builders that bought his tapes or stayed in his shop, and commented that early in his career he couldn't sell a pool cue with his butterfly splice. Now its common.

I really like the top cue last photo. Dennis made me one all in BEM. From 5feet you can't see what's there. That's what I wanted.

rw843

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sbe pickups

As to Shooter's questions the answers are YES and YES. Chudy's designs have been unique,and his builds are as good as anyone's.

theluckfactor

all in the presentation
Silver Member
I have a Chudy sneaky Pete that I bought at the Expo a few years ago. I think he is someone that stands behind his products and is really nice to talk to. I especially like the balance point of the cue.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big fan of Rick's cues. A west coast builder who has been around for many years. He is one of the original founding members of the American Cuemakers Association.

He custom built the West Palm ebony pictured below. This has been my playing cue for three years and I play approximately 2-3 hours daily. A great guy to work with.

I've also attached a link to an article you might find of interest. One of the best in the business, IMO.

Paul

http://www.rc3cues.com/rc3cues/Hits_Like_a_Ton.html

Whoa, great looking cues! Great woods, great design and excellent execution. Thank you Paul.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Chudy makes a magnificent player. I bought this one as an investment (his 1st box cue) but made it a personal player. It was one of the few available at SBE this year.

Last edited:

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
Did anyone get a photo of the one he was displaying at this years' SBE booth with the dymondwood veneer windows and brown butt/forearm?

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gina's

Did not buy any cues but the nicest cues
I saw were the Gina's. They really caught
my eye, what craftmanship. The third one
over is one of the 50th anniversary cues.
Just beautiful!!!!
I should have taken more pictures.

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I like Gina next to it. The wood looks to be cocobolo. Don't recall ever seeing that from Ernie before.

Paul

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
Did not buy any cues but the nicest cues
I saw were the Gina's. They really caught
my eye, what craftmanship. The third one
over is one of the 50th anniversary cues.
Just beautiful!!!!
I should have taken more pictures.

I would love to have the Amboyna Gina Cue, the left ones:wub::wub::lovies::lovies:
Ralf

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would love to have the Amboyna Gina Cue, the left ones:wub::wub::lovies::lovies:
Ralf

They were the first to catch my eye, I didn't even see the
50th anniversary cue until I was done admiring those two.:)