Davis blanks today vs Balabushka

goin2bepro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been seeing Davis full splice blanks for sale and noticed that the points seem long. As in, once a joint collar is put on, the tips of the points look like they would be fairly close to the collar. I understand that he provided blanks for Balabushka at one point butI I don't remember seeing a Bushka with points that long. Has he changed his setup since providing George blanks?

I understand there are differences in Bushkas in regards to the blank supplier, ie titlist, Spain, Szamboti. It's just something that crossed my mind in the for sale section. Btw, I do own a cue with a Davis blank and it plays great.

Scherf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And, the builder will still have to turn the cue down as he's making it. Which will shorten the length of the points.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke to John a few years back about getting a blank made with more forearm and less handle wood to effectively move the splice down. I prefer the splice to be lower on full splice cues. I can't recall his exact response but he seemed fairly adamant about their position for his blanks. I didn't push it much.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't consider turning of the cue would shorten the points. Thanks Scherf!

FYI - one who is even marginally
competent in Arithmetic can determine where the
tips of the points will be after turned to final size.

No app required.

Dale(who is appless)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not impressed with Davis blanks today. I have seen some that I would have literally demanded a refund.

There are some great cue makers out there, and many exceed his skill set.

IMO,

Ken

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been seeing Davis full splice blanks for sale and noticed that the points seem long. As in, once a joint collar is put on, the tips of the points look like they would be fairly close to the collar. I understand that he provided blanks for Balabushka at one point butI I don't remember seeing a Bushka with points that long. Has he changed his setup since providing George blanks?

I understand there are differences in Bushkas in regards to the blank supplier, ie titlist, Spain, Szamboti. It's just something that crossed my mind in the for sale section. Btw, I do own a cue with a Davis blank and it plays great.

So the simple answer is, yes he did change his setup. In fact, when he left Cuemaking, he left the equipment that he had made for Burton Spain. So when he got back into blank making, he pretty much started from zero. Of course , His machinist skills allowed him to make whatever fixtures he wanted to.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the simple answer is, yes he did change his setup. In fact, when he left Cuemaking, he left the equipment that he had made for Burton Spain. So when he got back into blank making, he pretty much started from zero. Of course , His machinist skills allowed him to make whatever fixtures he wanted to.

So... except for adjustable part?

Dale

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
The twenty plus Davis blank cues have all been terrific playing full spliced cues.
In many cases they played better than the short spliced or merry widows from the same cuemaker.
In fact they play better than other full spliced cues from the same cuemaker.

I highly recommend John Davis full splice blanks and they don't ever seem to go up in price.
Good deal in my opinion

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would agree. The ones I have seen were not very good at all. Several guys are making much better blanks.

I am not impressed with Davis blanks today. I have seen some that I would have literally demanded a refund.

There are some great cue makers out there, and many exceed his skill set.

IMO,

Ken

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'm glad you're happy with your cue! To get good results from any fundamentally sound blank, the skill of the cuemaker is critical. There are cuemakers who don't know how to re-center a blank to keep the points running even or how to balance the cue. People with a lack of knowledge might see a botched build and blame the blank maker! Since I'm the only other person that sells John's blanks there's never a problem with a refund or exchange on any blank when received. With qualified and known cuemakers I will replace a blank well into the turning process if there is a fundamental problem not due to cuemaker error. Nobody has to demand anything. Lol. John's fullsplice blanks have been worked by some of the best cuemakers in the USA (and elsewhere) and many of great playing cues have been the results. It's great to see new blank makers come on the scene. I like what I see from a few of the new guys. Competition is a good thing. John Davis built Burton Spain's blank turning machinery and has experience and a history unmatched by anyone else still around. In a qualified cuemaker's hands, John's blanks can provide the foundation for an excellent playing cue. Here's a few classic styled John Davis fullsplice blanks recently finished by Ariel Carmeli that should be excellent playing cues.

Attachments

• AC1a.jpg
    AC1a.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 967
  • AC1b.jpg
    AC1b.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 960

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
I spoke to John a few years back about getting a blank made with more forearm and less handle wood to effectively move the splice down. I prefer the splice to be lower on full splice cues. I can't recall his exact response but he seemed fairly adamant about their position for his blanks. I didn't push it much.

I had no problem at all asking him to make a blank with the points lower in the forearm, as he did them back in the day. Best hitting cue I have, or have had.

1UkRoZJ.jpg

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I had no problem at all asking him to make a blank with the points lower in the forearm, as he did them back in the day. Best hitting cue I have, or have had.

Haven't seen you in a while, and very true. Ask the cuemaker or maker of the blank to do it either higher or lower than their usual. Worked every time for me too.

Very nice cue.

All the best,
WW

raistlinsdragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So... except for adjustable part?

Dale

There's nothing like seeing someone take a potshot at a living legend. Could we see the day someone takes a shot at you? Oh wait.....forgot you need to be a legend for the potshot to matter. I'm sure your very safe from ever having a bullseye on your back.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had the pleasure of visiting John's shop. It's incredible. Just a remarkably knowledgeable talented guy. Truly a legend in the pool industry. Sad to see people that could not assemble a cue themselves disparage someone as versed in his trade as John. He is a master craftsmen!

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Per the OP this cuemaker must be a big idiot for making a cue from a John Davis blank (the cuemaker's wait list is now 10 years plus). Lol!

Yes, blank making has evolved but I'm very glad to know John Davis--one of the pioneers (along with Burton Spain) of modern 4 point veneered short and longsplice cue blanks.

Attachments

• BarRo1a.jpg
    BarRo1a.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 292
  • BarRo1b.jpg
    BarRo1b.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 257
  • BarRo1c.jpg
    BarRo1c.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Arounceville

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John is a great blank maker and a pioneer

when you buy a Gus a Spain or a bushka your buying much more than the sum of its parts your buying history knowledge and all that comes with it
It is much the same way with John’s work

It’s my pleasure to call John a friend
His blanks will have a prominent place in the history of cue making
The first time I met John he treated me with class and respect when he had every reason not to (we both build full splice blanks)
I would bet you would have a hard time finding a top tier who hasn’t used his work at least once

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
John Davis is living history. The man's place in the history of our industry is set in stone. When I convert a Davis blank, I walking in the shoes of George Balabushka. When I ***** about a flaw, share a beer at a tournament, swap gossip about other makers & buyers, etc., I'm doing what the legendary cue makers of the original era did with John. While his work may not always meet the ultra high precision standards of today, don't forget where those standards evolved from. One must realize he is not a spring chicken. His eyes are not as sharp, hands not as dexterous and sensitive. Still yet, he does a pretty dang good job and goes out of his way to make folks happy. Most importantly, he is a connection to history. He is an originator of custom cue history. His story is history. See what I did there?

We're lucky to have such a rich historical resource, and I urge folks to connect with him while he's here. Anybody infatuated with cues and/or cue history would do themselves justice listening to the man, learning his history, hearing his stories. It's a must for full splice fans. For me as a maker, it's an honor to build with his blanks.