Manzino does nice work

Custom Cue Mention
I found a super cue, loved it, seller listed @ 6300.00
Then listing updated to 6999.00.

I put the money back into the Bank.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is it so in snooker the best players are millionaires playing with the same oldschool ash cues using 0,50$ triangle chalk and same fairly cheap leather tips ...and this year they will compete at WC for 500,000 pounds as the first prize while the best pool players with the most revolutional equipment and accessories (super-duper tips, chalks, gloves, shafts etc.) will strive for how much...40,000$?

They play a game where a rack has at least 38-strokes.

And those battles in Crucible millions of fans will watch and have fun ...is it the same with WPC 9-ball?

Not enough shots per rack.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who said anything about artistry??.... you said quality. That's all I argued.

The only thing I'm full of is more knowledge than you about cues...

Once again no substance....

Here is a cue Bob Manzino built for me that I designed and supplied the dxf's... Next thing you'll say is since I designed the cue it's not a Manzino..lol

I would list Manzino as one of the cuemakers that hold their value but this does not look like a manzino.
This has a combination of styles that dont naturally fit together. This is of course just an opinion and i am sure you think differently. For such a unique cue design dont expect to recoup your investment if you ever wanted to sell.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They play a game where a rack has at least 38-strokes.

Not enough shots per rack.
My major point was about the crucial difference in understanding what is really important for the sport to grow. Barry Hearn and the team know their job very good understanding that the major product is a game as a show for the audience. They just do their best so the quality of this show getting better knowing where the real money coming from and what really motivates the players so their game - the final product improves. I guess the players also understand very good on what they should concenrate their efforts. It seems they are going in the right direction.
I'm glad there will be more pool events organized by Matchroom. That is much more important for our loved sport than... ok this thread is not about it).

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I would list Manzino as one of the cuemakers that hold their value but this does not look like a manzino.
This has a combination of styles that dont naturally fit together. This is of course just an opinion and i am sure you think differently. For such a unique cue design dont expect to recoup your investment if you ever wanted to sell.

We all have an opinion. Thats fine.. As far as "recouping" my investment, how do you know how much I paid??

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I can’t even keep up with your BS anymore. You drew a vector file for a pattern and suddenly you designed the cue, ok bro. That tells me all I need to know about you. 40 years making cue and you admittedly haven’t made one improvement. You either are full of crap or suck at your job.

Enjoy the splendor in your mind, I actually don’t enjoy arguments so I’ll let people judge you based off of all the stupid crap you wrote.

BTW, having a nice cue doesn’t mean you know crap about cues or that you know how to use it. Posting a pic of it and claiming you designed it furthers the point that you are delusional. That’s like me claiming I designed my bmw because I chose the pin stripes on the hood, again idiotic.

Claiming you’re a cnc guy then saying how cnc aren’t as good as old lathes, what does hat even mean? You think cnc’s Aren’t as accurate as dividing plates and manual pantographs? You say really dumb crap that may fool some but not anyone that has seen the inside of a machine shop. You make very confusing arguments.

Have fun in your made up world, bye Felicia

Call Bob and ask him about the cue "Gus 2000"... Then ask him about me.

Something tells me you wont call him....

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all have an opinion. Thats fine.. As far as "recouping" my investment, how do you know how much I paid??

I dont, so i will add that my statement was meant as a generality about unusual designs.

Edit. Just read your bio and i see you have some great cuemaking contacts. Nice work on the josey cues.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I dont, so i will add that my statement was meant as a generality about unusual designs.

Edit. Just read your bio and i see you have some great cuemaking contacts. Nice work on the josey cues.

Thank you. Keith Josey builds one helluva cue.. As for my Manzino, I'm not worried about the cue being so non Manzino-esque. Bob really enjoyed doing this project with me. The fact that we are freinds made it even more enjoyable for myself also. He started out building traditional style cues so he was very excited to go back to his roots and build this design for me. It really came out just how it was designed. His execution is a perfect testament to Bob's abilities.

Edit: (The cue was designed in 97'. Below are my 2005 pre-build mockups that I rendered and were sent to Bob 2015 when we started the project)

Last edited:

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
Skins, I think Mr. Manzino did a fantastic job of making those design elements work together. He combined design elements from a few eras, added plenty of exquisite detail to keep you admiring the cue (but didn't go overboard), and incorporated beautifully rendered modern touches within an overall maple-ebony design that's quite classical and clean. He hit it out of the park with that cue, and the market is indeed in trouble if a cue like that doesn't have a strong resale value.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Skins, I think Mr. Manzino did a fantastic job of making those design elements work together. He combined design elements from a few eras, added plenty of exquisite detail to keep you admiring the cue (but didn't go overboard), and incorporated beautifully rendered modern touches within an overall maple-ebony design that's quite classical and clean. He hit it out of the park with that cue, and the market is indeed in trouble if a cue like that doesn't have a strong resale value.

Thanks for the good words. The fact that you think so highly of it and thinking it was Bob's idea's and vision that brought this cue to life, even make me that much more special since I had designed every aspect of this cue years before asking him if he would build it, except for the shaft ringwork which I designed during the build... "Gus 2000".. My take on what might have come out of Gus's shop if he'd have lived to the 21st century. Fancy Cameo's with 6 piece Skeleton Props and "Geyser Bells"....

As for Bob, though the cue may not be his "brain child", build wise as he put it, it was trickier than you think. It's a sleeper :wink:

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. Keith Josey builds one helluva cue.. As for my Manzino, I'm not worried about the cue being so non Manzino-esque. Bob really enjoyed doing this project with me. The fact that we are freinds made it even more enjoyable for myself also. He started out building traditional style cues so he was very excited to go back to his roots and build this design for me. It really came out just how it was designed. His execution is a perfect testament to Bob's abilities.

Edit: (The cue was designed in 97'. Below are my 2005 pre-build mockups that I rendered and were sent to Bob 2015 when we started the project)

That's a beautiful cue, I really like the design a lot.

Also, have always enjoyed your posts Skins, you definitely enrich this place.

Mike, enjoyed reading your perspective as well, I don't know enough about cues to give more credibility to Skins or your posts, but from a layman I appreciated reading the discourse and opinions.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
That's a beautiful cue, I really like the design a lot.

Also, have always enjoyed your posts Skins, you definitely enrich this place.

Mike, enjoyed reading your perspective as well, I don't know enough about cues to give more credibility to Skins or your posts, but from a layman I appreciated reading the discourse and opinions.

Well if anything, you sure know how to make tasteful lemonade out of bitter lemons. You're one good hearted person. :)

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Luxury Watches also went Krazy 🤪

Uh... yeah right...C"rack"........ :wink:

I gave into my addiction for High-End Cues in the mid-90’s (when I joined eBay, circa 1995), and snagged a very nice selection of desirable Cues. I had already gotten myself “hooked” on Luxury Watches I was picking up on Watchnet.com at wholesale prices. Now, just like Top Tier Cues, those Wonderful Timepieces are priced out of my Comfort Zone. My 3rd Addiction is High-End Film Camera and, since Digital has crushed that mode of Photography, I can still buy Beautiful Equipment at Goodwill prices.
All of that aside, I say “Go ahead and buy that Magnificent Cue you’ve always wanted, and be damned with the cost. Enjoy the fruits of your labor Now, while you are Healthy. Don’t wait until It’s Too Late to employ the Beauty and Perfection of a Fine Cue”.

boyraks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the collectibles side of cue collecting will always have a following. Players generally don't collect cues. Also, I haven't heard of anyone collecting Revos. They play with a Revo shaft on whatever cue it will fit on. I think many collectors start out playing and enjoying pool as a hobby, then they join a league and maybe start to compete as they get better and buy a cue along the way. Lets call it their starter cue. For me it was a Meucci in 1983. Continued to progress in the game and started to notice cues other "players" were shooting with. Started to go to tournaments where nobody played with anything off of the wall. The cues of the time were Meucci, Viking, Palmer, McDermott, Joss, and Schon was just coming out. There were custom cues out there, but in my neck of the woods there were no cuemakers. Probably the closest was Mike Johnson (Jensen) cues in Baton Rouge, and he was relatively unknown at the time. People back then would start collecting more intricate cues by these lower end production makers or switched to a "higher end" production cue. At that time, it was Joss and Schon, and Schon was the Mack Daddy cue to own. I amassed a few of each then one day came across a guy in Dallas who had a really beautiful cue. Wanted to trade him for it, and when he told me it was a custom by Richard Black, I had no idea who that was and turned down the offer of a straight up trade for it with my Joss 4 pointer with inlays, by this time Joss had transitioned to CNC. Over the years I have tended to buy lower end production cues, then do a small bundle trade up for a nice custom, then bundle up 2-4 customs for something high end that I really like. 25 years later I am good. I have always kept up with market value on ebay and the internet in general. AZ has been great for that as well. Met some great people along the way. I have only lost money when selling/flipping cues 3 times. I have kept track of what I have owned/traded, etc. on a spreadsheet. That spreadsheet shows a total of 312 cues I have owned, sold, and/or traded; and my current stable consists of about 50 cues and a dozen cases. If I were to list and sell everything I have (some cues I have owned for over 15 years), I know I would not be at a loss compared to what I have into them, and I was buying to keep when the market was high (early to mid 90's). Just depends on what you by, not necessarily when. Sorry for the long post, but that is my take on the cue collecting market from my personal perspective. Most people consider playing cues separate from collecting. If you buy what you like you will always be a winner.

Best post on this thread.
I buy my dream cue and come out a winner.
Play with it and be proud of it.
When somebody offers then ....

paaca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is interesting reading. Just my opinion but the game and cue collecting are two different things. I play snooker, Russian occasionally. I play with cues that feel good to me. I just did something that I thought I would never do. I bought a production cue online from China. $132(US) all in and that included a case and two extensions, the long one of the telescoping variety. It's a nice playing cue. 3/4 cut, ash. If you're just a player and want to check it out try Woods Cues (www.woodscues.com).

Dog Bone Bob

If you like the looks or the feel, buy it. It is not like you can go on line and find a classic, or one that feels good.
Then YOU have it and you can charge whatever you want.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last year I put a Black Boar on ebay that I bought in 1992 for 1K
I started the auction at $1500, it ran up to $4600. I was shocked

paaca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you like the looks or the feel, buy it. It is not like you can go on line and find a classic, or one that feels good.
Then YOU have it and you can charge whatever you want.

Point taken about online buying. I should have added that one of the guys I play with had two of their cues that he bought recently. I was impressed with the quality and feel. Ordered miine slightly heavier than his (20 vs 18 oz) and it was as expected. So I had a preview of the product.