I miscue on this shot a LOT, for years.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/Mgx4xPgwckc

12 sec video.

I don't know why, but this exact shot I have been miscuing on for years. Just a very tiny cut angle, almost completely full. Where I'm trying to hold the CB as much as possible with a drag draw stroke. Doesn't matter if its a right or left cut, both are common miscues for me on this shot. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking it might be a sighting error where my brain thinks its a full shot, and my arm moves sideways mid stroke. But I checked the video frame by frame and it seems my stroke is as decent as on any other shot. This is definitely a trouble shot for me. Any ideas?

I used to do the exact same thing. I think its a combination of a soft shot while using draw. I believe it is happening because you are slowing your cue at impact and dropping the tip at CB contact. Like others have suggested I shortened my bridge to solve this.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I know it may be camera angle but setup looks left of center. A small amount off ctr when going low or high makes a huge diff.

I would shorten my bridge and aim a little higher with a fuller stroke. Like a stun draw.

I agree with shortening your bridge. I miscue on soft/stick shots like this too. Trying to hit low but soft, to make the drag shot work, makes my brain itch. Shortening the bridge makes me shorten my backstroke so I accelerate better. It also keeps the tip from dipping as my grip hand passes perpendicular.

My regular playing partner tells me my tip is too hard. I completely disagree. Tip hardness is not my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Agreed.

Remove the cueball and replace with a stripe ball, with the stripe parallel with the table. Use the stripe as an actual aim point. Also, shorten your bridge until you're actually hitting where you're aiming.

Yeah, shorten your bridge - it's WAY too long

I concur on shortening your bridge. It may be the quickest thing to try and easiest to eliminate if it is not the problem.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

12 sec video.

I don't know why, but this exact shot I have been miscuing on for years. Just a very tiny cut angle, almost completely full. Where I'm trying to hold the CB as much as possible with a drag draw stroke. Doesn't matter if its a right or left cut, both are common miscues for me on this shot. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking it might be a sighting error where my brain thinks its a full shot, and my arm moves sideways mid stroke. But I checked the video frame by frame and it seems my stroke is as decent as on any other shot. This is definitely a trouble shot for me. Any ideas?

You have a slight left inward movement. Even 1mm is enough to cause a miscue. Combined with a deceleration of your stroke. That’s a guaranteed miscue right there. Try lowering your elbow a bit. A shorter practice stroke, and a shorter executed stroke. Focus on spinning the cue ball without letting the speed of the ball get in the way.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
You're looking for an answer for this one shot, but the answer is global.

It's your mechanics. The basics. Plain and simple.

You need lessons. Someone who can help you unlearn what you think you know, and start over.

I am NOT trying to insult you. Trying to help.

This is bad fundamentals at work, and you need to re-learn them.

-von

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Remove the cueball and replace with a stripe ball, with the stripe parallel with the table. Use the stripe as an actual aim point.
Yes. The edge of a Centennial's stripe is just about as far as you can hit from center, making a visible tip target that can make a big difference in learning exactly where to hit the CB. Teach your stroke how to hit it by looking at the CB last sometimes (maybe a lot at first) in practice.

pj
chgo

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just put strait low English on the ball to draw back maybe 4 inch
....shoot it halve the speed you do,in the vid. Take what the table gives you. If you can't make it or make the five next i suggest u find a new hobby

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also your stroke looks like garbage. Strike the cueball and follow throw. don't push the cue throu it .strike the fookin ball

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tell people all the time to strike,the cueball....to not just push it around w ur stick. They usually get it right away

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry lol but it doesn't help he on the wrong side of the ball either.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shorten your stroke. Others said your bridge too long. Shorten the whole thing (u don't use a full backswing on a chipshot

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is maybe half a dozen good replies in this thread, most of it is BS. You shoot well, have good fundamentals, know how to make this shot. You don't like this shot, you are trying to "help" it. You are doing too much, do less. Just stroke it, make it your shot. You will always make it, do less.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yikes tough crowd is right! Its ok, I can take it. 20 years ago I asked the best player in the room to help me (he'd probably be a Fargo 700 today, as he has cashed several times in the US Open). Anyway, he told me: "Take two weeks off, and then quit".

Well, I'm still here and kicking:)

I'll try the ideas tomorrow.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to do the exact same thing. I think its a combination of a soft shot while using draw. I believe it is happening because you are slowing your cue at impact and dropping the tip at CB contact. Like others have suggested I shortened my bridge to solve this.

I agree the tip is dipping. But why? It's not the bridge length causing it. It is exacerbating it, but not causing it. Cant see it in the video, but I'll bet his elbow is past 90 deg at impact. The butt of the cue is coming up.... the tip dips down. Bridge length will lessen the effect, but wont cure it.

It looks like you are kind of contorting your body a little from that position on the table. That might be causing you to position the cue in your hand so impact is on the upswing. When you are uncomfortable like that, you may not notice. Your brain is too busy analyzing the weird stance. Whenever you get into an uncomfortable stance (by necessity), purposely double check your elbow position at impact point.

Last edited:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

12 sec video.

*Edit, not trying to hold the CB as in a drag draw stop shot, but rather draw it back about 1 foot.

Inviting criticism of your game is, something I'm not so sure my own ego could
handle. :eek: That said, I'm a strong advocate of practicing at the edge of your
competence level. Find where you are successful, get very comfortable with that
shot... and just move incrementally outside that spot.. and practice there until it
becomes your new comfort zone. Of coarse this all assumes that other fundamentals
are already in place.

On another side of this, I'm not so sure of your shot selection choice. I would practice
with a piece of chalk placed where you want the CB to land on each shot. It will help
your unconscious mind know what it needs to do. If there is a conflict of what your
mind knows it is capable of doing, and what you 'think' you want to do it's almost
always a recipe for disaster IMO.

Only meant to help... NOT criticize. Good luck.

td

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Since I have way too much time on my hands, here's a sequence of screenshots with guidelines and comments showing how the shot went. As somebody else said, hitting offcenter at maximum low is especially dangerous, and you can see an offcenter hit here. Can't say if that's the whole reason for miscuing, but it sure doesn't help.

Hope this helps,

pj
chgo

rich's shot.jpg

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I have way too much time on my hands, here's a sequence of screenshots with guidelines and comments showing how the shot went. As somebody else said, hitting offcenter at maximum low is especially dangerous, and you can see an offcenter hit here. Can't say if that's the whole reason for miscuing, but it sure doesn't help.

Hope this helps,

pj
chgo

View attachment 546014

"pat's play by play"- cool!
I like the way you did this, pat

re: the og post
not sure if it's been mentioned or not
but in the vid, it looks like your bridge might be elevated some
reminds me of my own miscue travails
especially hitting low on the cb

one thing that helped me was really flattening my bridge
and getting the cue more level on the ball
not only did that help me decrease my miscue numbers
but it helped me get more/easier juice on my draw

I was surprised..I'd thought my bridge was pretty flat
but after I *consciously* flattened it
I saw the difference
don't know if this will help
but try a few things
and let us know what does
good luck!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the tip looking like its towards the left might be an optical illusion.

I thought I deleted the original footage of the whole ghost attempt, but I still had it. I looked at all 10 shots (3 miscues, plus 7 makes afterwards). On the 7 makes, the tip also looked a bit to the left. But as the CB drew off the OB, there was no side spin on it, except for I believe 1 out of the 7 makes.

I may put that footage in this thread. Since its the original footage, I can even slow it down before putting it on YouTube, which should make the quality much better. Let me get off my butt and see about editing it:)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/ATXrqTYWgjY

Here is the video of all 10 shots (75 seconds total length for my short attention span;))

Shot 1-3 were all miscues. Then I chalked up. Shots 4-10 were makes. I wasn't necessarily trying to draw on these shots to the exact spot I was during the game, but rather just pocket the ball and draw back any distance to convince myself I can make the shot.

I think of the 7 makes, only 2 looked like the CB came backwards WITH sidespin. The other 5 looked like straight draw. But on all 7, it looks like slight left is put on the CB by going with camera.

OK, I got off the couch, I'm going to try shooting this again and see what happens.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think the tip looking like its towards the left might be an optical illusion.
The black "cue line" is carefully fixed from pic to pic, and the CB seems to go right of it, so it looks like there's some squirt happening - that would indicate an offcenter hit (and the OB overcut).

pj
chgo