Strickland v. Varner, 1991 World 9-Ball - Final Rack

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahh yes, the famous “That Guy Hit Me With A Flash!” Rack. Not to be confused with the famous “Do I Come To Your Work And Loudly Eat Potato Chips!?” Rack.

The commentator was the great Billy Incardona.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an interesting rack.

https://youtu.be/ajE9FvI0xuA?t=2477

The commentator says "as I expected" he played position for the 8-ball bank in the side. I was surprised that he didn't even look at the cut in the side pocket.

I think Earl is a great champion and has my respect because he refused to give up. His game lessened over the years, but he continued to grind it out. He has acted badly over the years. No excusing that! He is never the less one of the all time greats and a legend. I am happy to have spent some time learning from him.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Totally agree - Billy was the greatest commentator ever, due to his smooth delivery and extreme pool knowledge from being a pro himself.

About the only commentator to "get it right" almost every single time.

Today we have bloggers and vloggers who are not highly skilled players, and most of time when they say " I think he's gonna _____", they're wrong.

WE know they're wrong soon as they say it, but only choices are to tolerate their ineptness or turn off the sound.

Anyway, nice clip from back in the day. Nice slow cloth. Today, that same shot on the 2 ball would screw whitey back another 6-8 feet.

Thanks for sharing.

-von

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
This is an interesting rack.

https://youtu.be/ajE9FvI0xuA?t=2477

The commentator says "as I expected" he played position for the 8-ball bank in the side. I was surprised that he didn't even look at the cut in the side pocket.

He was dead straight in on the 7. In a final of this nature, on the hill, you do not want to roll the shot a little bit forward (or even stun run forward) for a nervy shot on the 8 into the side Pocket. The side pocket plays very small from this angle and the shot would have to be hit softly, in order for it to have any margin of error at all (it's close to zero even slow rolling). The bank was the reasonable choice here. The table played very weird, I thought, slowly and sluggishly and I wouldn't trust the cut of the side pocket facing angle to have been done correctly, again favouring the bank.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s funny is everyone always says how great Nick was... :/

Wonder why you think that is funny, Nick Varner at his very best was as good as any other player of his time. During his most competitive years he was even money at worst against any other pro in most if not all games. That match was the Finals of a world tournament in his time - he did not get there by accident! Nick was as much a fierce competitor as any player who ever picked up a cue.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bank on the 8 was an easy choice for Earl, he is going to make that simple bank shot at as high if not higher percentage than a cut shot into the side at that angle- for him it was the correct choice and he nailed it easily.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Thanks for the link. Very enjoyable.

Gee, how did those guys shoot so good? I mean, slow cloth, no LD carbon fiber shaft. no glove, etc.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I continue to believe if Earl would get rid of all the gimmicks and just return to a standard pool cue without the other stuff he would be better off.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boy, does N. Varner's cue sound horrible!
Boy, does Earl like to polish his nubbin with chalk a lot there!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A rather youthful Ralf Souquet, with hair, can be seen just past the 20-minute mark.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fun vid- thanks for posting.

I like that little shot earl played on the 5 tho, cue ball off the 9 to get to the 6.

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
Wonder why you think that is funny, Nick Varner at his very best was as good as any other player of his time. During his most competitive years he was even money at worst against any other pro in most if not all games. That match was the Finals of a world tournament in his time - he did not get there by accident! Nick was as much a fierce competitor as any player who ever picked up a cue.
You beat me to it. I didn't understand what was funny either. Nick is one of the all time greats. And I might add, all disciplines. Bank pool, straight pool, one pocket. He played everything well.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You beat me to it. I didn't understand what was funny either. Nick is one of the all time greats. And I might add, all disciplines. Bank pool, straight pool, one pocket. He played everything well.
No doubt. During the hey-days of the CamelTour Nick was always near the top of the leaders. You played him and you were in for a FIGHT.