sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
in earl’s latest commentary for billiard network
he noted how easy the table was breaking
and said (these young guys) should play me
in placement pool, to reduce the luck.

has he invented something else?

Maybe "placement pool" is another term for something with which we're already familiar. Then again, Earl, who, not long ago was challenging the top players to a match on a table having no side pockets, has been known to invent games from time to time.

That said, Earl's sentiments are understood. Back in the early 1980's, when Earl and Sigel were combining to win so many titles, the game was more difficult, played on slower cloth with poorer quality balls , lower quality cushions, and even the big events were often contested on worn (rather than new) cloth. Earl probably feels that the game, over the years, has become easier, and Sigel has said the same.

In short, Earl's call for a stiffer test of cueing skills is not without merit.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Maybe "placement pool" is another term for something with which we're already familiar. Then again, Earl, who, not long ago was challenging the top players to a match on a table having no side pockets, has been known to invent games from time to time.

That said, Earl's sentiments are understood. Back in the early 1980's, when Earl and Sigel were combining to win so many titles, the game was more difficult, played on slower cloth with poorer quality balls , lower quality cushions, and even the big events were often contested on worn (rather than new) cloth. Earl probably feels that the game, over the years, has become easier, and Sigel has said the same.

In short, Earl's call for a stiffer test of cueing skills is not without merit.

meh... The same argument can be made for any game/sport. Better conditions, better equipment, better training.

If anything the better conditions of the tables and venues gives legitimacy to the game on the professional level. Playing the USopen (for example) on worn/garage equipment was a black on eye on game. "This is supposed to be a national title. Why are they playing on the same quality of table I see at the local tavern..?"

This is just yet another example of Earl attempting to deminish the skills of the current crop of professional players.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would bet all your dollars to someone else's doughnutz he is referring to target pool.

IMO, a great idea that never really gained traction.

P.S. Earl still doesn't like it, vs. today's elite.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard what Earl said and assumed he was talking about leaving the CB on a target after each shot.

I do that quite often where I put my 9-ball magic rack down and try and leave the CB in the center after each shot.

I started doing that after someone said that I was just banging balls and kept getting lucky on my position. (This was after I pocketed a simple side ball and went 3 rails for my next shot).

It's a great beer drinking game

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
meh... The same argument can be made for any game/sport. Better conditions, better equipment, better training.

Of course it can't. In as many cases in individual sports, the game has become more difficult over time. Golf, for example, is now played on much longer courses than in the past. Today's putting greens have more undulations than those of yesteryear. New courses, intended for PGA events, are being built with more slope than those of yesteryear. In golf, those in charge recognized that as the skills of the players rose, the conditions had to be toughened accordingly.

In pool, there are way more good players today than fifteen years ago but the playing conditions are largely unchanged in that period, excepting the rare events played on a ten footer. That's why there's some validity in what Earl is saying.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
There was going to be a rebuttal post, but....

I have yet to hear a legacy player of any game say that the game they played is way harder now then we they were competitive.

Agree to disagree.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard what Earl said and assumed he was talking about leaving the CB on a target after each shot.

I do that quite often where I put my 9-ball magic rack down and try and leave the CB in the center after each shot.

I started doing that after someone said that I was just banging balls and kept getting lucky on my position. (This was after I pocketed a simple side ball and went 3 rails for my next shot).

It's a great beer drinking game

I think every decent player has heard "you are so lucky" from bangers when they see people make more than 2 balls in a row. I still remember from Army training shooting on a pool table in one of the barracks people saying that "of course you won, you kept getting easy shots". Playing position for the next ball is just an unknown thing for many people.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
with improved more consistent equipment comes improved results .hence the game is easier to attain a higher level than that person would before than in the past.

the most noticeable change is the lesser need for a powerful stroke to play well.
which also makes speed control easier. i actually play better now than 40 or 50 years ago because getting position is so much easier.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I dare say the best are in the PI, but you have to travel quite a bit to get there.

There are many areas where the young are extremely efficient in the sport and esports so bring friends.

The main purpose is are you looking to make records or have a fun match that is not as you expected.

After about one move I knew I was out gunned, I didn't even grab the cue at the right place.

They told me Jose Parica is the best, second effren.

I can't say I haven't seen much, just hear the stories.

I never knew Archer had an accent, until a few years ago.

I was happy to meet them and I wish I had better tagalog. Their face when I couldn't was awful.... they are from a very large city compared to me, they have farmlands to help.

no other details are allowed, go there and travel

you will be invited when you hear the billiard balls.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dare say the best are in the PI, but you have to travel quite a bit to get there.

There are many areas where the young are extremely efficient in the sport and esports so bring friends.

The main purpose is are you looking to make records or have a fun match that is not as you expected.

After about one move I knew I was out gunned, I didn't even grab the cue at the right place.

They told me Jose Parica is the best, second effren.

I can't say I haven't seen much, just hear the stories.

I never knew Archer had an accent, until a few years ago.

I was happy to meet them and I wish I had better tagalog. Their face when I couldn't was awful.... they are from a very large city compared to me, they have farmlands to help.

no other details are allowed, go there and travel

you will be invited when you hear the billiard balls.

I lived in the Philippines when Parica was the number one player there. Efren came along afterward. I lived and played in Angeles, Efren's hometown, before he came to the USA. I heard his name, but never ran across him.

Playing conditions in the PI at that time were way more difficult than those in the USA.

If you could run tables there, playing on the tables in the USA was a piece of cake.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course it can't. In as many cases in individual sports, the game has become more difficult over time. Golf, for example, is now played on much longer courses than in the past. Today's putting greens have more undulations than those of yesteryear. New courses, intended for PGA events, are being built with more slope than those of yesteryear. In golf, those in charge recognized that as the skills of the players rose, the conditions had to be toughened accordingly.

In pool, there are way more good players today than fifteen years ago but the playing conditions are largely unchanged in that period, excepting the rare events played on a ten footer. That's why there's some validity in what Earl is saying.

SJM, I love your posts about pool, but please don't post about golf anymore - stick to something you know about (from a former golf pro)

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
in earl’s latest commentary for billiard network
he noted how easy the table was breaking
and said (these young guys) should play me
in placement pool, to reduce the luck.

has he invented something else?
I've never seen this game played, but I attended a BCA tourney and Earl was explaining this concept to the crowd. As I understand it, placement pool is a game where the balls are placed identically for each frame and the players run out. This eliminates the break, pattern racking and also reduces randomness/luck. Each player has an opportunity to shoot the exact same layout and the better shooter should be apparent.

I think this could be a great game and technology should enable this, even in tournament conditions.

-td

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
SJM, I love your posts about pool, but please don't post about golf anymore - stick to something you know about (from a former golf pro)

Thanks for your feedback. Although I've attended PGA events live for over 50 year and members of my family have served in official capacities in pro golf, my knowledge of golf remains limited, especially compared to yours! Constructive criticism offered politely and with clarity is always welcome, and that's what you've provided. Hence, I'm grateful.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never seen this game played, but I attended a BCA tourney and Earl was explaining this concept to the crowd. As I understand it, placement pool is a game where the balls are placed identically for each frame and the players run out. This eliminates the break, pattern racking and also reduces randomness/luck. Each player has an opportunity to shoot the exact same layout and the better shooter should be apparent.

I think this could be a great game and technology should enable this, even in tournament conditions.

-td

thank you td in houston. i knew someone would have some kind of info.

earl is crazy, but we miss him now that he is gone from competition.

i have also heard of bucket break, where you throw all the balls out
and get ball in hand, as another way to limit luck.

the thing about purists, they aren’t very pure!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
....Each player has an opportunity to shoot the exact same layout and the better shooter should be apparent.

-td

meh.... I don't know. Only thing worse than doing drills is watching other people doing drills. That's pretty much what's being suggested.

To each their own, but I don't think there'd be much of an audience after the first few racks

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

-td

I like it. I used to play in bridge tournaments in which everyone you competed against was dealt the exact same cards as you and how well each team did with those cards was all that mattered in the scoring. This form of bridge is called duplicate bridge, and noone can complain that they got bad cards!

Only weakness of the proposed version of pool is that there is no defensive play, making it a bit like playing the ghost, but, as you note, it's fairer as the layouts are the same for everybody.

Good idea.

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m just guessing your under the age of 40

If anything the better conditions of the tables and venues gives legitimacy to the game on the professional level. Playing the USopen (for example) on worn/garage equipment was a black on eye on game. "This is supposed to be a national title. Why are they playing on the same quality of table I see at the local tavern..?"

This is just yet another example of Earl attempting to deminish the skills of the current crop of professional players.

And never saw earl play at his best.
The guy ran rack after rack dodging no shots playing no safeties.....in the late 70’s and 80’s-I saw it......it was impressive to say the least.