Just mho, but...

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Big difference in solid vs. hollow body guitars. Solid body are basically just a holding device for the pick-ups. The body itself has little to do with the sound.

lol careful with that can of worms there...

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine how silly the guys clinging to their maces must have seemed when the "modern" cue came onto the scene.

From what I've heard of Lassiter and his cues, I bet he would have been one the first to give carbon fiber a shot.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That would be the most accurate answer.

Another answer is a little more technical. A fiddle typically has a flatter bridge, making it easier to ride multiple strings.
And many fiddle players prefer steel strings to synthetic.

(But the best answer IMO, as to the difference between a fiddle and a violin is nobody cries if you spill beer on a fiddle.)

:shocked::thud::lol::lol:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• 1713EE3E-9511-46CF-B608-835F27F98F59.jpg
    1713EE3E-9511-46CF-B608-835F27F98F59.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 125

JC

Coos Cues
I would like to see some evidence that anyone's fargo rating increased by simply changing to a CF shaft, or an LD one for that matter.

Doesn't have to be scientific I would settle for strong anecdotal evidence.

Let's hear the stories.

I have my doubts truthful ones exist.

Count me in for straight hard maple.

JC

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big difference in solid vs. hollow body guitars. Solid body are basically just a holding device for the pick-ups. The body itself has little to do with the sound. I took a tour of Gibson one time and that's almost verbatim what they told me. Hollow body is a totally different animal 'cause the top and the back flex and can change the sound. I had a friend that made a guitar out of a laminated chopping block and it sounded pretty good. He bought a neck and used old humbuckers. As far as tennis rackets go, i used to play a LOT when i was younger. Composite rackets are lighter, stiffer and when made in mid or jumbo sizes greatly increase the trampoline effect on the strings. Also, the sweet-spot on the larger rackets is waaaaay bigger than on the old smaller ones. Its hard NOT to hit a decent shot with a modern racket.

I agree, electric guitar is just the item that holds the pickups. Some people with a real good ear can say the wood makes a difference but I am not that good of a player to really know.

To the others who own Fender, love them as well, I use a Fender bass, American made of course. ( I have a room full of other instruments but back to pool.)

Would love to tour the Gibson factories, have seen many videos online. The best line comes from their custom shop video when they talk about the wood they use vs the regular shop. Quarter sawn all the way, just like the wood I use on cues and shafts.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I would like to see some evidence that anyone's fargo rating increased by simply changing to a CF shaft, or an LD one for that matter.

Let's hear the stories.

JC

Thanks, John. You certainly know cues. Your work is gorgeous.

Reactions: JC

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Let's hear the stories.

JC

I asked quite a while ago what Carbon Fiber shafts do that my wood shaft can’t.
...one reply was “durability”.....so I mentioned my ‘68 Joss...still original....
...that stopped that approach.

I’d also be worrried about a carbon tax in the future....:eek:
...’course I guess I should be worried about termites with my cue........

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I asked quite a while ago what Carbon Fiber shafts do that my wood shaft can’t.
...one reply was “durability”.....so I mentioned my ‘68 Joss...still original....
...that stopped that approach.

I’d also be worried about a carbon tax in the future....:eek:
...’course I guess I should be worried about termites with my cue........

PT - What you do is, buy the MOST toxic insecticide you can find ( hit up Google and/or Amazon ), and just SOAK your cues in it right before sticking them back in your case.

PROBLEM SOLVED. You'll never see another termite anywhere NEAR those cues. I promise you...

And make sure you wash your hands.

Reallllyyyyyyyyy well.

:grin::grin::grin:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I would put this up here again.. just substitute low deflection for carbon fiber lol The strange thing is I haven’t heard anyone say that they immediately played better because of a Revo shaft. They just liked the way it plays so they use it. What the hell wrong with that? Isn’t that why any of us play with the current cue we have.. we hit some with it and liked how it played?

I have loved this game for 30 years but I honestly have to say pool players are some of the most negative worst people I’ve ever been around. All we do as a hole is tear ourselves down. Any new ideas or equipment is put down as fake and silly by people who most the time have never even tried them. I also play golf and it couldn’t be more different . They are happy to embrace new idea’s and no one cares why you like to play golf ... all that matters is you do so your part of the brotherhood.

I don’t care if you like to gamble or play leagues or play tournaments or any combination of the 3. If your playing pool your cool with me..

Attachments

• 4473EFEB-FE4A-49DE-834D-D0E3F5FDFA02.jpg
    4473EFEB-FE4A-49DE-834D-D0E3F5FDFA02.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 139

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big difference in solid vs. hollow body guitars. Solid body are basically just a holding device for the pick-ups. The body itself has little to do with the sound. I took a tour of Gibson one time and that's almost verbatim what they told me. Hollow body is a totally different animal 'cause the top and the back flex and can change the sound. I had a friend that made a guitar out of a laminated chopping block and it sounded pretty good. He bought a neck and used old humbuckers. As far as tennis rackets go, i used to play a LOT when i was younger. Composite rackets are lighter, stiffer and when made in mid or jumbo sizes greatly increase the trampoline effect on the strings. Also, the sweet-spot on the larger rackets is waaaaay bigger than on the old smaller ones. Its hard NOT to hit a decent shot with a modern racket.

You obviously don’t play guitar.