What would you do with this runout?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky said:
I say again... you have rigged the deck, sir :).

- Steve

Hehe, you noticed! I wanted to get some feedback as to what you would do with the cluster. When I played to go into the cluster, it seemed to me that there were better odds than usual that a second shot would come up.

There is one other option, and I honestly thought some might go this route instead to avoid the uncertainty of just running into the 7/11.

Shoot the 15 to position A and then draw into the 10/11. Of course there is uncertainty there, too, but probably less IF you can get in good position for the 7.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4CFyO4GWFy4...m4fahg4fbjs1kVam4kapN4kaxO4kTWG4kTOH1qHmW&ZZ@

Thanks,
dwhite

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Dan White said:
Hehe, you noticed! I wanted to get some feedback as to what you would do with the cluster. When I played to go into the cluster, it seemed to me that there were better odds than usual that a second shot would come up.

There is one other option, and I honestly thought some might go this route instead to avoid the uncertainty of just running into the 7/11.

Shoot the 15 to position A and then draw into the 10/11. Of course there is uncertainty there, too, but probably less IF you can get in good position for the 7.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4CFyO4GWFy4...m4fahg4fbjs1kVam4kapN4kaxO4kTWG4kTOH1qHmW&ZZ@

Thanks,
dwhite

Dan, in addition to being a more difficult shot on the 15, I actually think you're less likely to wind up with a second shot going into the cluster from the 7. Going into the cluster with the 15 is preferable in my opinion because it keeps the 7 on the table as an insurance ball.

- Steve

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Dan, anytime you're trying to break into a cluster using hard draw (i.e., cueball is basically fully reversing direction), results are usually sketchy. At least this is what I have found...

- Steve

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky said:
Dan, in addition to being a more difficult shot on the 15, I actually think you're less likely to wind up with a second shot going into the cluster from the 7. Going into the cluster with the 15 is preferable in my opinion because it keeps the 7 on the table as an insurance ball.

- Steve

Good point. I thought you could argue that you'd have better chances for another shot by drawing into the 10/11 while shooting the 7. I only say this because you would be very close to the 10/11 and could make a pretty precise carom to kick the 10 out or something. Overall I liked the first option as well because getting on the 7 at the right angle was too iffy for me.

dan

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky said:
Dan, anytime you're trying to break into a cluster using hard draw (i.e., cueball is basically fully reversing direction), results are usually sketchy. At least this is what I have found...

- Steve

Well that's good to keep in mind. Getting guidelines like this from guys who can run lots of balls give me an idea whether I'm on the right track.

Thanks again,
dan

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan I'll add since the balls suddenly moved. LOL I was going to mention this option earlier but the balls were sitting to nice. The key word is were.

I'm not opposed to shooting the 14, drawing back for a decent angle on the 3. Shoot your break ball, WHAT? Go across the 10 and 11 and possibly create a new break ball.

Me personally, I don't like the thin cut on the 15. You have to use a little right and its a bit testy for my old eyes. That and sure as hell I hit the point leaving me up you know what creek without a paddle.

I'd rather trust my draw stroke to get me there.

Rod

skipc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
runout

i like shooting the 14 first to get the correct angle on the 10. then draw the cue ball back to shoot the 15, back up table to shoot the 7, then the 11. draw off the rail to a perfect break shot.