Scott erwin is a hack! Dont use him for cue work!

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This guy had my cue for 3 months for a refinish and new wrap.....2 months longer then he stated and then ships me back this mangled POS that will now need a new handle and A joint ring. because he cut the handle down to thinner then the forearm and cut the A ring joint ring to look like a fishing pole (god and him only know why) this man is obviously an incompetent cue maker who should be handling anyone’s property.

The linen fit perfectly in the wrap groove prior to sending it to him. I took leather off myself to check if linen was even an option. (See second photo) Not to mention he left the bottom of cue gobbled up with finish instead of sanding and buffing!! He had this for 3 months! Hahahahaha 58009897894__B3AA4BCE-B2AA-429D-B5E2-1E7E47E3D3D1.jpg

IMG_8094.jpgIMG_8097.jpgIMG_8093.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First i've heard of this kinda thing from Scott. I know people that have had more than one cue re-done by him and they came out perfect. Contacted him about it yet?

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First i've heard of this kinda thing from Scott. I know people that have had more than one cue re-done by him and they came out perfect. Contacted him about it yet?

Nothing can resolve this! I don’t care if he offers to send it to Dennis Searing to fix! It’s still representative of his business and his ability (or inability rather) as a Cue maker/ repair guy. Period!

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I know a lot of Meucci guys like to send cues to him, and tons of people always recommend him for refinish work; however, I've seen this type of work that you're showing from him before. Usually it's swept under the rug and he goes about ruining peoples cues.
That apple fell far from the tree; if you get what I'm saying. I wouldn't send him an import cue to fix. And I'll never understand why people send him cues, when Proficient is cheaper, faster, and much better.

Josh

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I know a lot of Meucci guys like to send cues to him, and tons of people always recommend him for refinish work; however, I've seen this type of work that you're showing from him before. Usually it's swept under the rug and he goes about ruining peoples cues.
That apple fell far from the tree; if you get what I'm saying. I wouldn't send him an import cue to fix. And I'll never understand why people send him cues, when Proficient is cheaper, faster, and much better.

Josh

Proficient has ruined the points on vintage cues more than once. Almost everyone sucks in this industry, so sad

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Proficient has ruined the points on vintage cues more than once. Almost everyone sucks in this industry, so sad

I agree there, as well. Vintage cues are I beast all unto themselves.
The OPs cue is modern; and the points more than likely wouldn't have flaked out.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
looks turrible!!

That cue looks turrible! Please post the pictures you took before sending it off blown up to the same size so we can see exactly what Scott did and what was already there.

Hu

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
The list of satisfied customers of Proficient is long and distinguished. I would not be afraid to send one of my fancier cues to them. They did a great job on my relatively plain kingwood cue.

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That cue looks turrible! Please post the pictures you took before sending it off blown up to the same size so we can see exactly what Scott did and what was already there.

Hu

Reason I sent Cue was Finish around metal rings piped and I wanted to install the vintage linen I found with blue specs...also wanted hoppe ring changed out.

IMG_8108.jpgIMG_8107.jpgIMG_8106.jpg
IMG_8109.jpg

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
that cue was beautiful as it was.

but i dont understand why people keep dealing with these small time so called cuemakers that have nothing to lose if they mess up and cant afford to replace your cue if they ruin it.
plus get paid for the job and dont even return that.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reason I sent Cue was Finish around metal rings piped and I wanted to install the vintage linen I found with blue specs...also wanted hoppe ring changed out.

Very tuff action Mr. Big. It's repairable but it's work. The pain will go away. The anger and disappointment might take a bit longer.
Best of luck to you.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
What does this thread have to do with Scott Sherbine at Proficient? Does Scott Erwin work with Scott Sherbine?

Someone used it as an advertisement opportunity, and I'm pointing out that most of the refinishing guys have their share of issues. Equal opportunity.

Proficient typically does great work

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone used it as an advertisement opportunity, and I'm pointing out that most of the refinishing guys have their share of issues. Equal opportunity.

Proficient typically does great work

Yes Sir he does. Repairing (following) behind someone else's work no matter when the cue was made, offers it's challenges.

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really sorry to hear his, he's at it again. Scott Erwin did the same to me, hacked mine up too.

Dude just sends he cue back, no mention of hacking it and doesn't say a word. Everyone raves about his work, never ask him question or when your getting the cue back. So unacceptable.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
thank you!

Your first pictures made me a little skeptical to be honest. The slightly different angle and the red arrow cutting off part of the top of the cue seemed like someone trying to enhance their position a little. These pictures do a much better job supporting your position.

A couple possibilities, one is that the black ring was a soft plastic that didn't tolerate heat. I'm sure you know that properly pressed linen gets pretty hot and has a lot of pressure put on it. The other possibility is that the linen was substantially thinner than the original leather after pressing and they deliberately took down the black ring to better match the diameter of the linen. Of course it is also possible that somebody did a quick butcher job to get a job out fast that was already very late.

It seems like valid complaints on this cue so the comments below don't apply so much to this cue as to all cues sent off for work, particularly old cues. I remember one that was refinished and horror of horrors, a point or two got sharpied in! That thread heated up to warp speed! Then we took a good look at the "before" pictures at the same high magnification. The "old master" had sharpied in a wiped point to begin with. The old refinisher put back what he found.

The large screens and magnification of digital imaging give many of us the same view as looking through a microscope. Playing with a camera and lenses I had years ago I took a high resolution image of a roughly three-sixteenths inch smooth chrome circular dome, the primer in a bullet. When I blew it up to the size of a dinner plate it was full of dents, dings, pits, and scratches! Looking at one of the most valuable cues in the world, the silver ginacue, at these same magnifications reveals a host of flaws. That cue has had several hundred thousand offered for it and is rumored to have had half a million offered for it quite some time ago.

Perfect to even a fine craftsman's naked eye isn't the same as perfect under high magnification. The funny thing is that the fine craftsmanship and tiny flaws of handmade cues is the reason for buying custom cues. If I had an order for 250 cues at $10,000 apiece I could turn out 250 of the most perfect cues ever built. While short run, these would be production cues with machines and modern quality control devices and techniques applied to the creation of these cues. 25 or 50 years from now a person would be lucky to get their purchase price back, not considering the shrinking value of the dollar.

When we look at perfection in an inlay we are often looking at an illusion. One piece fit perfectly to the other is tricky, particularly when the two pieces will shrink differently with time. If one of those pieces happens to have been put in as a liquid the fit is much better! Many other tricks of the trade to make less than perfect appear perfect but the simple truth is that part of being a master is knowing how to solve problems large and small so that the customer never sees them.

There was a time many considered me a master at auto body repair, even the courts accepted me as an expert in the field. Out of hundreds of jobs I turned out one that was perfect, repairing a dent not much bigger than the end of my thumb. A tough job, I did it three times and painted it twice. A new truck with 84 miles on it, nothing less than perfect was acceptable. I didn't point out that the factory component on the other side of the truck wasn't perfect. Many here don't notice imperfections until after they have work done and get a cue back. Some of the imperfections may be the fault of the repairmen or refinisher, some of the imperfections were there all the time and were not in the scope of work to be performed.

I hope if nothing else threads like this encourage everyone to take good quality pictures of cues before sending them off for work.

Hu

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Not picking on you, and no offense. We've had discussions before. Aren't you a cue repair guy yourself? You've posted pictures of your work that look great. Why did you send your cue to someone else? Again, no hate, just curious.

All the best,
WW

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
There's only a few I would trust with refinishing a valuble cue that wasn't their own. Pete Tascarella, Dennis Searing, Keith Josey, Joe Gold, Bob Manzino, John Showman, Barry Szamboti, and Randy Mobley and a few of those dont really work on others cues.

If neither of them will do it, I probably would not have any work done.

I've had nightmares by very well know respected makers... There may be a few others that do great work on a consistent basis but the makers I mentioned are the best there are in my experience.

Pete Tascarella regularly accepts repair work and doesn't dissapoint. Try giving him a call.