Revised Derby City 14.1 format

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For next January, I'm considering changing the DCC 14.1 format. The first four days (Sunday-Wednesday) will be the same as this year, with a total of 12 tries for each entrant. The finals may be changed to matches between the top 6 high-runners. This will only be done if the matches will be on the TV table and taped by Accu-stats. The point is to get 14.1 out where people can see it. The format would be single elimination with the top two runners seeded into the semi-finals. It would be nice to have 8 in the finals, but there are other matches on the TV table and we are potentially looking at 2.5 hours per match.

The match format will be modified slightly to permit the winner to continue his run if he is on 50 or more when he wins.

Does this seem like an improvement?

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sounds excelent Bob! much more marketable....video sales I mean. Maybe set the "X"# and out" extension to 75 IMO. leaving an exciting 2 rack sprint to the beloved 100 and beyond.

Gerry

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Bob,

That is an absolutely fantastic idea. You've already done a lot for the lovers of 14.1. This is only another excellent step in the right direction. PS. I will buy every single one of these videos whether I'm there to witness the matches in person or not.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
For next January, I'm considering changing the DCC 14.1 format...

The match format will be modified slightly to permit the winner to continue his run if he is on 50 or more when he wins.

IMHO it seems like the best of both worlds.
Much as we all apreciate your contribution at DCC, I was
always hoping that somehow it could lead to a 14.1 match
competition

I think the Hi-Run contest will add to the intrest.
Even tho I'm a hard core Straight Pool fan - it is the
high runs I most want to see in competition

Thanks again

Dale Pierce

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, as much as I would love to see the matches you're describing, I think it would take away from the purity of the high run challenge/competition.

If your goal is to get more 14.1 out there I think the first thing I'd do is to get out of the chapel. What I observed this last event was that you got a lot of 14.1 aficionados back there, that went and watched for long stretches. But I also noticed that while you were setup in the main room, whoever was doing the challenge completely stopped traffic in the aisle with dozens of people stopping to watch and becoming absorbed by the "man vs mountain" challenge.

Lou Figueroa

Bob Jewett said:
For next January, I'm considering changing the DCC 14.1 format. The first four days (Sunday-Wednesday) will be the same as this year, with a total of 12 tries for each entrant. The finals may be changed to matches between the top 6 high-runners. This will only be done if the matches will be on the TV table and taped by Accu-stats. The point is to get 14.1 out where people can see it. The format would be single elimination with the top two runners seeded into the semi-finals. It would be nice to have 8 in the finals, but there are other matches on the TV table and we are potentially looking at 2.5 hours per match.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
lfigueroa said:
Bob, as much as I would love to see the matches you're describing, I think it would take away from the purity of the high run challenge/competition.

If your goal is to get more 14.1 out there I think the first thing I'd do is to get out of the chapel. ...
I agree with the purity argument, but I think the chance at the TV table and a wider audience is worth the corruption. I think there are far more DVD viewers than passers-by in Louisville.

As for getting a table out of the Chapel, I think we can get more spectators in the Chapel than near the most manageable table in the main room, which is the one by the wall and the TD's area. The ones in the open areas are pretty marginal as far as administering the competition. Would the Drinkwater room be better for the prelims? The 3-C is going to be across the street in 2008.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
... The finals may be changed to matches between the top 6 high-runners. This will only be done if the matches will be on the TV table and taped by Accu-stats. ...
This might change in two ways. 8 players could be included if there are two first-round matches on the prelims table. Secondly, Pat Fleming is willing to pay a $500 bonus to any player who runs 100 or more on the TV table and is willing to provide player commentary for the run.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
I agree with the purity argument, but I think the chance at the TV table and a wider audience is worth the corruption. I think there are far more DVD viewers than passers-by in Louisville.

As for getting a table out of the Chapel, I think we can get more spectators in the Chapel than near the most manageable table in the main room, which is the one by the wall and the TD's area. The ones in the open areas are pretty marginal as far as administering the competition. Would the Drinkwater room be better for the prelims? The 3-C is going to be across the street in 2008.

Purity is fine, but what is the long term goal?

If you want to re-establish, 14.1 competitionm, IMHO,
the modified format is a much better vehicle.

A high run contest is not Straight Pool competition no matter
how much interest it draws

Dale

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:

Absolutely more DVD viewers than passers-by. But then, why not tape the challenge final six, or whatever, on the Accu-Stats table? There are plenty of 14.1 match play videos out there already -- but how many of high run attempts? That would be a unique product.

I think the Drinkwater could be aptly be renamed the Backwater Room as far as location. I dan't think that's a good idea.

Lou Figueroa

sprons

Registered
Great idea! I would definitly like one of those dvd's
Maybe it's an idea to add a ".. no count" (any run under 50/40/30 doesn't count) rule too? Might add some exitement and shotmaking?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Bob:

GREAT idea. It was fun to watch last year - and it'll be REALLY exciting this January. Your 14.1 event is my favorite to watch at the DCC.

For anyone who hasn't been to the DCC - you have to go and check out the 14.1. Very exciting format-- all offense.

Dave

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

i think the table this year was perfect,we were out of the way.ill tell you though running 100 on those tables is twice as hard because the pockets are small ,the rack gets in the way of breakballs ,and there is no line drawn around the rack as a reference if the break balls fit or not.at any rate what bob has done for 14.1 is great .i say bob for president at least president of the pro tour .

S

Scottster

Bob I think this is a great idea! Reminds me of auto racing with a qualifying session and then the actual race. This is a great improvement with tremendous potential.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Bob,this is a great idea! I think John brings up some very good points. Is there any way to mark the rack area - even if it is just at the corners of the trangle? The Sardo forces you to leave your break ball a good distance from the rack - however it does glue the balls together nicely which makes the balls spread like a dream. I think that is a good trade off, but there are times when your break ball refuses to get out of the Sardo's way. Also, if you need any help with this project, please let me know. I would be more than happy helping you in any way that I can.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Bob,this is a great idea! I think John brings up some very good points. Is there any way to mark the rack area - even if it is just at the corners of the trangle? The Sardo forces you to leave your break ball a good distance from the rack - however it does glue the balls together nicely which makes the balls spread like a dream. I think that is a good trade off, but there are times when your break ball refuses to get out of the Sardo's way. Also, if you need any help with this project, please let me know. I would be more than happy helping you in any way that I can.
Hi Dave,

I think the rack was marked in 2007. It wasn't in 2006 and that caused some problems. The Diamond rack is nice and solid, but the front point sure does stick out.

I think that if the table is trained, the Sardo won't be necessary. That's what they did at the last Mosconi Cup I saw.

I'm sure we'll need some scorekeepers and/or refs.

Thanks,