Official 14.1 High Runs

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I think table slate conditions are important

I think if the table has the old drop pockets where the ball rolls down hill a bit when approaching the pocket would make a huge difference.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jack's High run was 385 when he played at Brentwood Billiards in Wayne Nj this was about 2001 ...

Jack was about 69 years old in 2001, so this seemed unlikely to me. Turns out the run of 385 occurred about 30 years before that. From a New Jersey newspaper after Jack's death:

"Mr. Colavita enjoyed his most memorable night on the
tables at O'Dowd's Billiards Lounge in Pine Brook in
1972 when he pocketed 385 consecutive shots, his son
said. Close friend John Bender said he witnessed Mr.
Colavita run 282 shots at Rockaway Billiards in 1990,
only to miss a shot and then drop another 165 in a
row."

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of those are unofficial. There are two kinds of officially recognized high runs: in competition and in exhibition. The high competion run is 182 and the high exhibition run is 526 unless you believe the Eufemia claim of 625 which I tend to even if the BCA Records Committee does not. There are a couple of claims in the 700s for practice runs.

Appleton ran 200 and out in the World Tournament against Bustamante.

brainbyte

Registered
Hi
Just like to say Sam Kong ran 202 in a qualifier for the World Championship back in the late 70s. It was at High Run Billiards on Queens Blvd in NY. Not sure of the year but Sam got knocked out by Erving Crane during the first round of the tournament...I think it was at the Commador Hotel or Biltmore Hotel...don't remmember.
Just saying the 182 in competition is not correct if that is what you have. I was there for Sam's run....he was playing Dave Lipman when he ran the 202.
Thanks...by the way...I'm a fan of yours.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Just saying the 182 in competition is not correct if that is what you have. I was there for Sam's run....he was playing Dave Lipman when he ran the 202. Thanks...by the way...I'm a fan of yours.

I suspect you are referring to Dave "the face" Lipner.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
most of those stats are close but ive talked to almost everyone of those guys and most of those runs are lower than that like martin for instance is 382 he told me himself 9 months ago and ive only got 400 exactly but its great that anybody cares enough to ask.also ive talked to jimmy fusco and hes sure efren never ran over 250 and i promise you if he did he would not leave to eat and not try to continue after hes ate. although if efren wanted to be the greatest 14.1 player he would be the best if not one of but right now hes not. anyway i like the 14.1 talk keep it up. john schmidt

...and so you can't believe everything on the internet.
Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Mr441 said:
I think it's a crying shame that you can't even find an official or unofficial list of the top 14.1 runs of all time. Imagine not being able to find the top career home run leaders compiled? I figure we should try and compile at least an unofficial list here on this forum. I've listed below the best runs I've ever heard of, they're only runs I've heard from at least one reputable source, but some of the runs are more commonly known.

1- 625 Michael Eufemia (4 x 8 table?) 2- 526 Willie Mosconi (4 x 8 table)
3- 491 Thomas Engert
4- 430 Gene Nagy
5- 429 Dallas West
6- 426 Ray Martin
7- 421 Allen Hopkins
8- 408 Thorsten Hohmann
9- 408 Earl Strickland
10- 403 John Schmidt
11- 396 Jose Garcia

Anyone want to add to the list? Any German posters here? Surely Souquet or Ortmann have impressive runs.

My highest run. Let's see,
I ran 1,000 once at home.....but then I woke up. lol

I was there!

... I think.

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It kills you all no one has hit the 527 mark dont it..any predictions for this century...

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
John Schmidt in the past few days has just ran a few hundred balls AGAIN, so I predict that he may just break the official record by the end of this year.

JoeyA

It kills you all no one has hit the 527 mark dont it..any predictions for this century...

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john schmidt in the past few days has just ran a few hundred balls again, so i predict that he may just break the official record by the end of this year.

Joeya

i guess i see your point joey about shearing piglets...its sorta like beating something to death that has not happened yet...

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Edward Kokosinski: "John, can you give an update on your runs so far?"

Like · Reply · 15h

John Schmidt: "Well high five runs over 14 days playing 11 of those days.
319,338,351,407,434."

JoeyA: "I'd say that's more than a little wool. That's a lot of wool!" :D:D:D

JoeyA

i guess i see your point joey about shearing piglets...its sorta like beating something to death that has not happened yet...

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edward Kokosinski: "John, can you give an update on your runs so far?"

Like · Reply · 15h

John Schmidt: "Well high five runs over 14 days playing 11 of those days.
319,338,351,407,434."

JoeyA: "I'd say that's more than a little wool. That's a lot of wool!" :D:D:D

JoeyA
:wink::wink::thumbup:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hi
Just like to say Sam Kong ran 202 in a qualifier for the World Championship back in the late 70s. It was at High Run Billiards on Queens Blvd in NY. Not sure of the year but Sam got knocked out by Erving Crane during the first round of the tournament...I think it was at the Commador Hotel or Biltmore Hotel...don't remmember.
Just saying the 182 in competition is not correct if that is what you have. I was there for Sam's run....he was playing Dave Lipman when he ran the 202.
Thanks...by the way...I'm a fan of yours.

I remember reading about that....the match was over at (I think) 150....
....so the 202 wasn’t competitively....only the first part.

Appleton’s 200 still stands as high run....
..which is amazing considering some of the old matches were to 1,000.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...Appleton’s 200 still stands as high run....
..which is amazing considering some of the old matches were to 1,000.
I found that surprising as well, but I looked at Charlie Ursitti's records for the challenge matches and it looks like only a few of them had a possibility of runs longer than 150. It seems that to run over 150 you had to be behind at the start of the day's play and run a lot but you would have to stop if you got to the current multiple of 150.

For example, if Willie was ahead of you 750 to 411 at the start of the sixth day's play in a match to 1200 in 150-point blocks, you would stop play when someone got to 900. Willie could not run more than 150 that day but you would have a chance to run 900-411 or whatever you might start your run at. If you started your run (after a very long evening already) at 600, you could run only 300 before the day's play would be stopped at 900.

So far as I can tell, most of the time each day started with a lag and an opening break shot, which would be a lot more understandable to the audience than continuing from a marked break shot position which is what I thought usually happened until I looked at the daily score lines from Ursitti's records.

I think this explains why Procita had the high run from that era. He was probably behind (against Willie, as it happened) and had a chance to run past Willie. Guessing, I would say that Procita missed before getting to the daily limit and Willie then ran to the limit. Procita did not win that match.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I found that surprising as well, but I looked at Charlie Ursitti's records for the challenge matches and it looks like only a few of them had a possibility of runs longer than 150. It seems that to run over 150 you had to be behind at the start of the day's play and run a lot but you would have to stop if you got to the current multiple of 150.

For example, if Willie was ahead of you 750 to 411 at the start of the sixth day's play in a match to 1200 in 150-point blocks, you would stop play when someone got to 900. Willie could not run more than 150 that day but you would have a chance to run 900-411 or whatever you might start your run at. If you started your run (after a very long evening already) at 600, you could run only 300 before the day's play would be stopped at 900.

So far as I can tell, most of the time each day started with a lag and an opening break shot, which would be a lot more understandable to the audience than continuing from a marked break shot position which is what I thought usually happened until I looked at the daily score lines from Ursitti's records.

I think this explains why Procita had the high run from that era. He was probably behind (against Willie, as it happened) and had a chance to run past Willie. Guessing, I would say that Procita missed before getting to the daily limit and Willie then ran to the limit. Procita did not win that match.
Thanx, Bob....I never looked it up....I assumed blocks of 250 and mark the balls.

I admire the competitive runs the most...’cause you can still lose till you cross the finish line.
I feel straight pool is purer as a competition over snooker because you NEED every ball.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
been done last century!

I thought everyone knew Fats ran a 527 last century, heard it straight from the horse's mouth. "526? I ran 527 . . . banks!"