Wood rings

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
I cant for the life of me remember where i bought wood rings stamped out of veneer sheets. Ive checked all the usual places, but cant find em anymore. Im thinking i may have got them from El Beau? Anyone else have a tip on where to get em? Thanks in advance.

Joe

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Prather used to sell them.
I press veneer rings on Tom Datum's dies these days.
I have a die that stamps 1.300 ring with .890" hole.
I then drill a hole on the stamped .890" for joint rings.

Lots of work unless you can cut them on cnc.

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
It must have been prather. I checked their site, but they dont have em anymore. I guess i shoulda loaded up on em. Lol.

Joe

vacation

Living Good.
Silver Member
Prather used to sell them.
I press veneer rings on Tom Datum's dies these days.
I have a die that stamps 1.300 ring with .890" hole.
I then drill a hole on the stamped .890" for joint rings.

Lots of work unless you can cut them on cnc.

Is a laser CNC an option?

RackRunner

Property of RackRunner
Silver Member
Deco Cues (Tom Hassos) sells the dies to stamp them out yourself. I bought a couple of dies from him, just haven't got around to putting them to use yet.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought about buying the dies back when, but I already had a 1 to 1 manual machine that I built many years ago for inlays, and cutting rings on that was as simple as as gluing a few nic/silver rings to a flat piece of stock to use as My template. I used the same size stylus as the end mill in the router. It cuts the outer and center of the rings to the exact size of the metal ring that I originally used for the template. I could have cut a v-groove template from that one to make it easier, but never saw the need as I had no issues keeping the stylus against the metal rings while cutting them out, but if someone did prefer the stylus staying locked in the v-groove, then a template could easily be made from that in a few minutes.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought about buying the dies back when, but I already had a 1 to 1 manual machine that I built many years ago for inlays, and cutting rings on that was as simple as as gluing a few nic/silver rings to a flat piece of stock to use as My template. I used the same size stylus as the end mill in the router. It cuts the outer and center of the rings to the exact size of the metal ring that I originally used for the template. I could have cut a v-groove template from that one to make it easier, but never saw the need as I had no issues keeping the stylus against the metal rings while cutting them out, but if someone did prefer the stylus staying locked in the v-groove, then a template could easily be made from that in a few minutes.

Well hello stranger! Where have you been hiding? It's been some time since your smiling face has been around.

Dick

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For small batches of rings you can easily build your self a few sizes of punches. Mild steel and a few minutes on the lathe. I usually make the OD punch oversize to account for any error in concentricity. If you are on a budget it doesn't get much cheaper.

BSummersCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deco Cue here on az builds a ring press for wood rings. works really good only other tool you would need is a press